Low Neutrophils in Siblings - looking for input.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so I have three siblings sisters. One of them has pillow foot (plasma cell pododermatitis).

All three of them have near-perfect bloodwork and urinalysis. All three have had full work-ups and are very healthy. Body scores are great too. (Well one is not perfect as she's quite fat and I'm trying - and so far failing, to get her to drop her weight. Work in progress there.) With one exception: Low Neutrophils. Lower than the lowest level. BH has pillow foot and hers is the lowest they believe caused by the medication she is currently on (dioxycycline) and the pillow foot.

All three were snap tested for FIV and FeLV (retroviruses) and all three are negative for those viruses.

The Vet has said not to worry and I trust their Doctor - full stop - without question - she is amazing. She has not met one of the sisters yet as the sister was with another Doctor for her last yearly exam which was only a few months back. (Another trustworthy Doctor.) I still think I will have her meet her before her annual is due though.

However, of course, it's not going to stop me from worrying or educating myself. Worrying I am. Probably ridiculously but still. Am I worrying about nothing?

Should I be keeping mindful of something?

From what I understand low Neutrophils can be a result of not just a lower immune system in general but of stress too?

Does anyone have ideas about boosting their immune systems? Her Doctor is ordering VitB for BH, which might add with all the girls and we spoke of Vit A as well a bit today but that sounds like it's a harder thing to dose right.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are any number of immune system boosters on the market for cats. A quick google search turned up nearly a dozen, and I didn't even go past the initial search result page. I would caution you, however, to choose a few that look likely, then research those in depth. Look at ingredients, search for reviews NOT posted by the seller. And, since you have such a good rapport with your vet, ask which immune booster they recommend!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953

There are a lot out there for sure. I was getting overwhelmed looking. Good advice - thank you. I will make sure I read reviews not posted by the seller etc.

Once I've done some more research, yes, I will certainly ask her what, if any, she likes.

I'll give myself a few days to absorb things and to release the worry - before I call her. I'm probably concerned about nothing.

I was talking to her and I was fine and then I reviewed her bloodwork - still thought I was fine .... and then went into worry phase. *sigh*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's SO normal! We worry about our furbabies. We're here. But I think that all will be well.
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Thank you!

You're right, I think all will be well too. I'm, no doubt, overthinking it. *hugs*

All three really wigged me out.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is understandable. Let us know if you have any further concerns, or just to share anything interesting that you learn! SOMEONE will have the same issue at some point, that's almost a given, and you will be able to pass things along to them.