Low Fodmap Diet?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now, I don't know if anybody will be able to see it; ATK wants you to pay to access their online recipes; if you can't let me know and I'll print it out and post it.
The recipe may also be in one of the ATK cookbooks .The local library may have a copy of the ATK cookbooks and other cookbooks on gluten free recipes. Sometimes you can find a book on Google Books and find a recipe in the book preview. Not sre if Christopher Kimball's Milk Street magazine has a similar recipe. I get the magazines from the library.

I believe you can sign up for free on the ATK web site and get free access to the recipes for like a month before you have to pay for a subscription:think:

Cup4Cup is an gluten-free flour alternative Cup4Cup

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I need to go grocery shopping! Cookies, muffins, pizza...so much better than the excessive amounts of tofu, rice, and green beans I've been eating. Thank you all!

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not allowed to eat chickpeas, but thank you for the recommendation!

I looked for King Arthur today but I couldn't find the gluten-free flour. I did find Bob's Red Mill gluten-free pizza mix though and made a pretty good pizza! I also got a small bag of gluten-free baking flour of the same brand so I can make pancakes. I just can't stand eating oatmeal and cheerios for breakfast every single morning. Eggs make me nauseous so I avoid those. I need my pancakes!

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are most of the members on this thread using the FODMAP diet for IBS? I was recently diagnosed with it and my doctor only told me to take a fiber supplement like Metamucil. The past few months have been wonderful, no pain, gas or diarrhea. I love that I don't have to avoid the foods that used to cause my symptoms. Anyone else do this or other forms of extra fiber?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IBS treatment is pretty individual, as it presents in so many different ways. I think that major dietary changes (eg FODMAP or even wheat or gluten free) are last resort options, when simple treatments (eg metamucil, colpermin or high strength probiotics) have failed or not helped enough on their own.

It's fantastic that Metamucil is working so well for you :D I did try it years ago (I think it was the first treatment suggested), and it didn't work for me. It just goes to show how different IBS can be from one person to another ;)

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have IBS since 1980 and nothing has helped it except codeine and I can't take that anymore. I've tried Metamucil and that did not help and I take high strength probiotces and I don't see where it helps. I never heard of fodmap. I will have to check it out.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
muffy muffy - this is some basic info on it A Beginner's Guide to the Low-FODMAP Diet I think it works on the principle that some foods are more likely to ferment during digestion, so cutting these foods out can reduce IBS pain and cramping. Some people find it really helpful, but it doesn't work for everyone.

I'm so sorry you've been dealing with IBS so long. It can be really miserable :alright: :hugs:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
muffy muffy - this is some basic info on it A Beginner's Guide to the Low-FODMAP Diet I think it works on the principle that some foods are more likely to ferment during digestion, so cutting these foods out can reduce IBS pain and cramping. Some people find it really helpful, but it doesn't work for everyone.

I'm so sorry you've been dealing with IBS so long. It can be really miserable :alright: :hugs:
Thank you so much. I will save that and will definitely refer back to it when I have more time. Thanks, again.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's definitely a rough diet to start. If you do it for a while and then stop, keep in mind that you might be extra sensitive to literally everything after being so restricted.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Asian market I infrequently shop at has soba noodles. Some brands are only buckwheat, some are buckwheat and wheat blend so you will need to read the labels (which are in English as well as Japanese.) Soba are good hot or cold but I wouldn't try to use them as a substitute for spaghetti etc.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
My ibs is like crazy theirs some foods i can and cant eat i dont know if i can eat those

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I have also IBS and can't eat a lot of high fiber foods. (beans, corn, etc.) I am also vegetarian and that cuts out a lot of food I can eat.