'low allergy' cats

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I have found that the Russian Blue produces less allergic responses in both myself and others.  I believe this is something to do with glycoprotein Fel d 1 .  Siberians are also touted as being less allergenic and they have a very different 'look' to the Russian Blue. 

So my questions are:

Is there proof of lower allergic responses to Russian Blues and Siberians? 

And, if so, since they are both originally from Russia, could northern Eurasian cats have less allergens in general?

superkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is part russian blue and i have noticed that he doesnt bother my allergies as much either. I was also wondering if other people noticed it as well. Glad to see someone else out there has. =)

profleslielyons

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Howdy,

Our lab has done some analyses of the allergen gene and did not find anything conclusive - for now.  I do think that some cats may produce less allergen and perhaps these cats are more common in the Siberian breed.  Never heard this for the Russian Blues, but, I bet if we payed attention, then we may find more low allergen producing cats - as determined by less reaction by those who are allergic.  But be careful - don't want anyone going into a severe allergy response!

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would be very curious to know what genes or breeds contribute to low allergens. I have a very mild cat allergy, but I was shocked to find my DSH (bordering on mid-length hair) actually gives me even less allergies than my Cornish Rex did! I have no reaction to my DSH at all. I did have mild, occasional reactions to my Cornish Rex, and still to some other cats I meet.

I have no clue what her genetic history is like, but it's very strange, as I assumed a cat with much longer hair would hold on to more dander, and possibly make more as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you, @ProfLeslieLyons   I am definitely less allergic to my two Russians, and I don't think it's a placebo

profleslielyons

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Howdy,

Yes, as mentioned, there are probably many cats that cause low allergy response.  Cornish or Sphynx are not hypoallergenic - they just produce less hair.  The hair transports the allergen. We know the genes that cause the hair mutations in Cornish and Sphynx, cat specific allergen is caused by FelD1.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Interesting.  Korats are also supposed to be 'low allergen' - not having a cat allergy (luckily) I can't comment personally, but many attest to it and will only ever have Korats.  I guess it must be that less hair thing as they only have one coat.