Loves people, indifferent to cats.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m sort of bummed! I got Tea to be a friend for Binx since Kaia goes outside and Binx stays in. Binx loves other cats and wants someone to run around with. Kaia has zero interest. Tea is a GREAT cat....it is soooo nice having a lap cat again. He’s extremely affectionate and follows me everywhere. Binx keeps trying to play with him, but I think for some reason Tea thinks he’s trying to fight him and comes back at him aggressively. I don’t know if Tea just needs to learn how to play, or maybe he just doesn’t love other cats. Kind of a bummer for Binx though.

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When did you get Tea? It takes time for cats to bond and become friends, and sometimes they'll never get to the point where they play and wrestle together. It all depends on the individual. It doesn't mean they don't like each other, just that they don't (yet) have that kind of relationship. It also sounds like Binx and Tea have very different energy levels and play drives, which will have a big impact on their interactions - especially when it comes to play.

I'm sure Binx loves having Tea around, even though he's not the playful companion you were hoping for (yet). Maybe try giving Binx more playtime yourself, to give him a positive way to get out his excess energy. I'm sure he'd love that every bit as much as cat-on-cat playtime :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is Tea? And when did you adopt him? Did you do the separation and slow introductions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old is Tea? And when did you adopt him? Did you do the separation and slow introductions?
We adopted Tea last Monday....so a week and three days ago. He is just under a year and was freshly neutered when we got him (done a week prior to us picking him up). We did do a slow introduction yes. They are actually much better today. Tea seems more open to playing with Binx (like along side him if I’m playing with him....Tea will join in).

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t sweat it & would be over joyed they like each other /tolerate each other so well already!!! My advice? Keep up the slow introductions and enlist someone else to help. That way you can engage both kitties in play without fighting over toys (I had a toy hog.)

I thought Salem hated Dante, they only seemed to tolerate each other. They didn’t fight, but they didn’t sleep snuggled up together either (Dante was a jerk and jumped on Salem, biting him between the shoulder blades whenever Dante couldn’t run off his hyper energy.) However after Dante died Salem did get depressed for a while , so I guess he did miss his annoying little brother.

So just because Tea & Binx are not best friends today does not mean they will never be friends; or that even if they are not best friends Binx will not appreciate having Tea around.

*** A week is no time at all for cats to become friends. In human terms, it like meeting someone 5 minutes ago.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cat introductions can take weeks! So if your 2 are getting along this well after only 1 week and 3 days, there's a good chance they'll be best buds eventually. :catlove:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow Erin80 Erin80 , its REALLY early days in cat introduction terms!

It sounds like you're doing wonderfully, and like Tea is fitting in supremely well so far. Give it time. You may well find that Binx and Tea become fast friends once they've had longer to get used to each other. And I'm talking months, not days or weeks ;) At this stage, their just tolerating and being confident around each other is a HUGE win. Trust the process, and let Binx and Tea work it out for themselves. They will, in time :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow Erin80 Erin80 , its REALLY early days in cat introduction terms!

It sounds like you're doing wonderfully, and like Tea is fitting in supremely well so far. Give it time. You may well find that Binx and Tea become fast friends once they've had longer to get used to each other. And I'm talking months, not days or weeks ;) At this stage, their just tolerating and being confident around each other is a HUGE win. Trust the process, and let Binx and Tea work it out for themselves. They will, in time :)
They were wrestling this morning, in a playful happy way. It’s amazing! They are starting to really get to know each other.