Love

LEICESTER

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have recently had to have my 13 year old cat put to sleep. Towards the end of last year he started making a snorting/grunting noise not thinking it was serious and thought it would be fine to not take him to the vets as not to stress him out too much left it till his booster was due in February this year. He was put on antibiotics and steroids nothing helped, then an xray taken came back as fluid In his throat called ENTEROCOCCUS again more antibiotics over several more weeks nothing cleared it or helped. He then changed his habits not going out much not leaving the garden, not jumping up to look out of windows jumping on my knee and missing his footing at time, did not like you to put him down just wanted cuddled. Not eating that much but still eating but then he did sometimes not eat first things would go out then come back and eat so never thought too much about that. He did not interact or play did not seem to want to do much really again thinking it was because he was getting older. Then on 24th July 2017 he started going round and round in circles worse on 25th so took him to the vets, he had lost weight low temp low heart rate, vet said this cat needs food gave him two injection and said bring him back tomorrow, he said if we refer him we might not find anything or we might find something we cannot treat, and it would cost £2,000 so without no guarantee we took his advice took him home gave him loads of love as the vet told us to do, which we always did anyway. He said he's showing neurological signs the reason he said referral might not come back with anything. Overnight he got worse going round and round more not resting looking lethargic listless dilated eyes not looking good took him back to the vets and sadly we had to make the decision to have him put to sleep. I cry all the time I miss him so and feel so guilty we did not give him a bit more time to see if he improved. We took this cat over from the owner who did not look after him left him out day and night he was coming to us so we took him in in 2015 so we had two wonderful years with him he loved us as much as I loved him and I will miss him always. God bless you Rock for giving me so much love. Has anyone else had a cat with neurological signs and then nothing could be done except have them put to sleep. I would love to hear from anyone who has, the vet just not seem to give me the answers I want.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Rock, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Guilt is a very human thing, but...you did the best you could for him. Neurological issues like that are, at best, symptoms of something very, very wrong. As you said, he could not rest. Now he can, and would certainly bless you for that, as well as for the two years of heaven you gave him. No, you have nothing to feel guilty over. My prayer is that someday, one day, all cats will have guardians who are as loving and selfless as you have been for Rock. My thoughts are with you, I weep for your pain. But Rock? No, Rock is fine. He is healthy, and happy, and only waits for you to join him in your own "Someday, One Day." Love never dies, my friend, it only changes form. Although his little body could not go on, his loving spirit will never leave you.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor litle soul, he was neglected and you gave him a home, he needed love and you gave him lots of it, he needed to be taken care of and you did.
He had all he wanted till the end. I have no words for your pain, because this story left me speechless :(
RIP Rocky, now you can sleep and rest.
Hugs to you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did have a cat that suddenly began to meow constantly, day and night, never stopping. I took him to the vet and they stated he had brain damage possibly from a high fever. With the pacing round and round, and dilated eyes, it most likely could have been a stroke in your little one. At the end of life there are many scenarios that come up on how the cat acts, none of them curable and almost all bring on suffering. You could not let the suffering go on,you did what you did out of love and concern. Rock knew that. You took him into people who have had much experience in many different scenarios, you can rely on what they say the outcome will be, they have seen a lot. I truly do not believe time would have helped. It would have only brought more suffering. We always have guilt over something like this, the should haves, could haves, always come up, especially much later when our thinking is clearer, and begins to focus on every little step we took. Don't go there, it brings nothing but heartache and changes nothing. It is called grieving and we all go through it much the same way and in our own way.
That cat needed you and you were there. You gave him care, and a home, and a family to love. He could not have asked for more. I cry that there was not more time, but not one of us is guaranteed a tomorrow. His new path takes him from your home, but never from your life. He will follow your life's path for eternity, tied to you by the bond you have formed of love. He would never want you to be so sad because of him, he is a wonderful part of your past now, and the memories you have collected will bring you comfort. Just as you would want for him if you were the first to go, grieve for the loss to your home, but celebrate what he gave to your soul, it is priceless. Go forward and let his love guide you, the legacy he left you is one to be shared. Keep busy, do not dwell on the sadness, do good things in his name. Donate to your local shelter or to the vet's office to help another little one in need. Do it all in Rock's memory. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers, you will be blessed for caring so much......RIP precious Rock, you will never be forgotten and will always have a place in a loving heart. Goodnight, sleep tight, little Prince!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that you lost your little friend, but he was suffering and moving on to the next life was the best choice for him but not for you, but he is fine now, no more suffering or pain, just fine, happy and healthy and you will see each other again someday.

We did have a cat who started to walk in circles, Serenity, and an MRI showed a brain tumor, but with Prednisone and Transfer Factors Plus she lived a good 1.5 years after that, but when her time was up she went peacefully.

I hope your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless......:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Condolences on losing Rock. You gave him the dignity and blessed relief of a peaceful passing, even though it broke your heart to let him go. Neurological disorders are final - cats are so good at hiding their pain, undoubtably you saved him from a lot of misery. He is with the ancestors and those yet to be born. Bless you for giving him a loving family and a life such as I wish for all kitties, everywhere.