Loud and Talkative Kitty!

kwojciak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an adorable cat< Bailey 1 1/2 yars old that I just love! Except he is so LOUD and NEVER stops meowing! From the moment my alarm goes off he cries all morning, has to be in the bathroom with me while I am preparing for work. When I come home at night he cries for about 2 hours and then actually will settle down a bit - unless my husband or I leave the room, then he cries and cries again. And suggestions for new parents to a sweet baby boy that cries too much?

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site!

Here is a link in which we discussed this problem in the past. You might find it helpful. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...highlight=talk

Also, part of the problem is likely that you have reinforced Bailey for crying by giving him attention and loving whenever he talks to you. Therefore, you now have to help him unlearn this behavior by ignoring his talking. I know this will be difficult, but you might try locking him in a quiet place while you get things done. Then, bring him out and give him lots of loving BUT only open the door IF he is being quiet. Do not open the door if he is crying. (He might have been quiet for only 30 seconds...that's fine, just don't open the door during or immediately after a yowl.) This way you can get your work done, and you are still giving him attention, but only when he is quiet.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kwojciak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much. I never realized that I was reinforcing his behvior by petting him and giving him attention. Thank you for the other resources as well.