Lots Of Poop!

Greenboatgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1 yr old kitten. Seems to poop alot. Otherwise normal. Thinking of changing to science diet food- when our other cats ate that they didnt stink or poop as much. Thoughts?
Also, anyone ever tried something like a diaper genie for scooping poop out of litterboxes. since the new little one likes the box pretty clean i was wondering of scooping a few times a day into a pail like that would keep the smell down.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am not sure I can help much. But, when you say your cat poops a lot - do you mean multiple times a day? And, is it of normal consistency or loose stool?

The food could be an issue to be sure, but if the poop is looser than it should be (think tootsie roll for proper poop), then it could also be parasites. Have you had a fecal test done?

If the stool is otherwise normal, food very well could be the culprit for it being so smelly. See if this article might help you to determine what foods might be better for solving this problem.

Best Cat Food for Smelly Poop! Feline Diet for Low Odor Feces - Choosey Cats

I am sorry, but I don't know anything about the type of litterbox to which you are referring.

Other members will surely see your post throughout the day when they have chance to log on - so, be patient while you await more responses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Greenboatgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He poops several times a day- a little soft but we have had him checked and parasites negative. No recent food changes.

The pail im talking about isnt a litterbox, it is like a trashcan that is used to put dirty doapers in to contain the smell...thought mYbe it would keep me from using a million small teash bags a day when scooping his poop lol

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, gotcha! Would you consider buying the puppy poop bags that people use when they walk their dogs? I use those for Feeby and that works well. I can even throw them in my regular trash can that is in my kitchen and I do not smell a thing!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Litter Genie Cat Litter Disposal System | Litter Genie

Some people here in TCS do use it. Personally I don't see the point of keeping a pail full of cat waste inside the home :dunno: If there is an outdoor trash can, put the bags of waste in there. To be fair, I live in a building with a trash room on every floor so trash, with the day's cat waste, is taken out every night. Not everyone has a trash can outside the home.

I don't buy bags for cat waste. I just re-use the plastic bags I get from the supermarket and ask others for their bags.

What litter are you using? It may not be effective at covering up odors.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Science Diet is not a very high-quality food (despite the fact that vets often like to push it on people). What is your kitten eating right now? We can help you figure out a better diet.

Lranders29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Science Diet is not a very high-quality food (despite the fact that vets often like to push it on people). What is your kitten eating right now? We can help you figure out a better diet.
My kittens too have loose stinky stools and they’re on Science Diet. The shelter I got themfrom had them on Chicken soup brand. What would you suggest? My kittena unfortunately have been sick since I got them with 2 stints of antibiotics. Want a good food that helps them getbetter. I’m mixing wet and dry.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My experience (and this may be common knowledge ???) is that the more fillers in the food (grains, veges, legumes, etc) the more frequently they tend to poop and, oftentimes, the worse it stinks. The exception would be a filler free or minimal filler food that the cat simply doesn't tolerate well, for whatever reason, and causes digestive upset. It could be due to an intolerance to the / a particular protein, too high a fat content, a binder or gum or a combination of things.