LOTS of pictures of Athena-my dobie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bellaandme

A beauty!! Her personality shines right through too!! I''m a little afraid of Thor though
He is a terrifying little thing!

Originally Posted by AddieBee

Absolutely gorgeous dog!!!
Thank you!

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just saying Dobermans can be shown with natural ears in the US too. The ears do not determine the quality of the dog.

Are you only showing obedience? Have you considered doing any conformation or protection sports?

I really wanted a working GSD to do Schutzhund with but I've been seeing more and more Dobermans and think they would be a little easier to work with. The same amount of drive but maybe less neurosis. The only thing that worries me are the risks of cardiomyopathy. Of course, this is long down the line because managing two dogs in two different sports is enough for me right now :p

She's really grown into a pretty dog!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

Just saying Dobermans can be shown with natural ears in the US too. The ears do not determine the quality of the dog.
While I agree that ears (cropped or floppy) don't make a dog they certainly do matter in the show ring to a significant extent at this time.
Have you shown in the conformation ring with a dropped ear Dobe? Only a very small number have finished with dropped ears. The conformation ring in Dobermans is extremely competitive and harder than other breeds, even with dogs who are valid show prospects. And it can easily be extremely expensive in Dobes.
I would not suggest a newbie show an uncropped dog in the states unless that dog came from a pedigree and background of finished champions and was a quality dog who had a good honest chance; and the owner had the time and money to dedicate and extremely thick skin in case they find themselves losing more than winning the points, which can happen with any dog any given day.
In obedience, agility, or any other of the dog sports the ears don't matter at all.

The only thing that worries me are the risks of cardiomyopathy.
This is true and a valid concern, the last Doberman I had pass away had cardio at the time of death. It is a horrible disease. Did you know they have come out with a genetic gene marker test for this in Dobes late last year? I had mine tested if for nothing else to support this type of research.

managing two dogs in two different sports is enough for me right now
Isn't this the truth. I feel like a soccer mom and we don't have human children

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just saying Dobermans can be shown with natural ears in the US too.
I'm glad to read that, cropping is illegal here along with tail docking in most states so Dobermans are shown with natural ears and tails. Perhaps one day the US will catch up with other countries, along with declawing cats too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I missed the new responses!

Are you only showing obedience? Have you considered doing any conformation or protection sports?

I really wanted a working GSD to do Schutzhund with but I've been seeing more and more Dobermans and think they would be a little easier to work with. The same amount of drive but maybe less neurosis. The only thing that worries me are the risks of cardiomyopathy. Of course, this is long down the line because managing two dogs in two different sports is enough for me right now :p

She's really grown into a pretty dog!
Thank you! I'm working on becoming a member of an AKC group right now. I'm sure I'm in, but I have to get the paperwork finalized before I can say I'm an actual member. I didn't realize it wasn't just a sign up and your in thing! For those that don't know you have to have two sponsors in the group recommend you to the club, and you also have to go to a couple meetings before you can become a member (at least in the club I'm joining).

I really want to do tracking, maybe agility, obedience, and possibly conformation. I know she's probably never going to make it to the big shows in conformation, but it would be fun just to be involved.

Originally Posted by meow meow meow

Awww they are so cute! They look funny
Lol, thanks! They are a funny pair!

Originally Posted by cococat

While I agree that ears (cropped or floppy) don't make a dog they certainly do matter in the show ring to a significant extent at this time.
Have you shown in the conformation ring with a dropped ear Dobe? Only a very small number have finished with dropped ears. The conformation ring in Dobermans is extremely competitive and harder than other breeds, even with dogs who are valid show prospects. And it can easily be extremely expensive in Dobes.
I would not suggest a newbie show an uncropped dog in the states unless that dog came from a pedigree and background of finished champions and was a quality dog who had a good honest chance; and the owner had the time and money to dedicate and extremely thick skin in case they find themselves losing more than winning the points, which can happen with any dog any given day.
In obedience, agility, or any other of the dog sports the ears don't matter at all.

This is true and a valid concern, the last Doberman I had pass away had cardio at the time of death. It is a horrible disease. Did you know they have come out with a genetic gene marker test for this in Dobes late last year? I had mine tested if for nothing else to support this type of research.

Isn't this the truth. I feel like a soccer mom and we don't have human children
Yep, if you want to do conformation showing in the states they need cropped ears. People can say all they want, the judges can say all they want, the rule books can say all they want, but the traditional dobie is always going to be in the judges mind when he/she makes their decision.

I haven't heard about that gene marker test. I might have to think about getting that done before starting agility. I haven't really done any agility with her because she recently turned two. She does go on horse rides me with which involves a lot of walking/trotting, I might have to think about it just for that.

Originally Posted by missymotus

I'm glad to read that, cropping is illegal here along with tail docking in most states so Dobermans are shown with natural ears and tails. Perhaps one day the US will catch up with other countries, along with declawing cats too.
They can be shown, but the person is delusional if they think they are going to win with a natural dobie. Judges are looking for the traditional dobie, there's no secret about it.