LOTS OF MOLD ON WORLDS BEST CAT LITTER!!!!!! - HEALTH RISK????? HELP PLEASE!!

ME and the cat are fine?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

fieldsweeper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is old, sorry to revive it, hopefully someone sees this soon. I have had my kitty for about 3 months now, and have used worlds bets cat litter the whole time, never had a problem, in fact the litter box in the kitech (not covered is fine) however I noticed recently (maybe a week maybe 2) that she has not used the covered one that is convinetly in my room near the closet (covered for smell reasons lol) well today I just noticed that there was ALOT almost the entire top level of the litter was COVERED with a greenish white mold  and that it looked as though she had not used it since I last replaced the litter (maybe like I said about 3 weeks tops)   now I am a bit worried as that much means its been there probably about that long and I do not know how fast it grows, weather it was in the air or when I opened it to look it released who knows how many spores.  

I then took it out side now, just to get it out of the house, but i am worried that now my health is at risk as well as my cats???

that **** is bull and should have a warning I will never use it again.  I did some reading and think that when I washed it out I didint dry it enough (thinking the litter would absorb the small droplets of water. 

well what a mistake that was.  and since it is a covered litter box with a plastic clear front door. i swung open to look inside and saw all that puffy stuff, and looked online and saw that thats the one mold thats the bad ****,   prob worse than black mold  so now what do i do?>

how can I be sure things are safe, idk if its me but i feel a bit "worried sick" so to speak and not sure if i inhaled enough to be immediate effect of something or what. but not something I wanted to see lol.

for the last maybe week. ive been pretty tired lately. not sure if that has much to do with it. but this weekend i am staying mostly out of the house and maybe taking that stuff to a lab. 

**** worlds best cat litter.

any suggestions or thoughts?? please  i could not find anything really on simptoms or ways to test if that is what it was that aflotoxen crap. sounds scary though. at least in that quantity I will if brave enough try to take a pic of it. but id like to know what the sympoms are of acute poising of it 

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Lord--I never knew this, and my litter box is in the laundry room with an internally vented dryer!!!

I am dumping it out the second I get home!! I am immensely grateful!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fieldsweeper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

nasty stuff, i held my breath in my shirt as long as I could, had to breathe tho :(  lol  also I am going to take a sample to a lab, but I took lysol and prayed a bit on one side and bleach on the other to see how effective either is

Last edited:

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my god. That's awful!! Did you spray it down with anything before dumping it? I use litterbox liners and just bagged it all, but I sprayed it with Steri-Fab first. Then I sprayed the whole box and lid with it, and washed it all down. Also sterilized the utility room floor and baseboards.

The litter started smelling just...just plain BAD just a few days into using it. It's the lavender scent, and it just plain STUNK. But there was no mold on mine, yet, thankfully. That might have been because I removed the plastic flap door long ago, to let fresh air in the box--and because it didn't seem fair to my cat to have to brush his face on a dusty, litter box poopy door. It's not like he has a sink to rinse his face off on. It did help with litterbox odor to leave it off (which sounds counter productive but worked for me.)

My cats eyes have gotten excessively weepy in the past couple weeks, though, and he HATED the Worlds Best--squinted his eyes and leaping in and out as fast as he could. I was going to toss the lot soon, anyway, but I feel horrible possibly exposing my cat to this stuff. Geez.

Take care and keep us posted if you or your cat get ill. Meanwhile, you need to contact the manufacturer and show them those pictures...
Thank you for taking the time to post them. You may have saved lives by doing that.

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
misterwhiskers misterwhiskers Your litter probably didn't go mouldy because lavender is a natural anti fungal. If there's natural lavender oil as part of the scent it would retard the mould growth.

That mould growth is shocking fieldsweeper fieldsweeper . Makes me very glad I didn't try world's best litter after all (I was debating trying some a while back).

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried Worlds Best a number of years ago and I honestly think I got a bad batch once.  I have litter boxes back in a walk in closet in the bedroom.  I had just changed out the litter and didn't notice anything unusual about the litter.  I was working 12 hour night shifts at the time and the litter smelled really bad, I can't really describe it but it was bad.  I couldn't go to sleep because of the smell.  I went out got some of the clumping clay litter and switched out the litter.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried Worlds Best a number of years ago and I honestly think I got a bad batch once.  I have litter boxes back in a walk in closet in the bedroom.  I had just changed out the litter and didn't notice anything unusual about the litter.  I was working 12 hour night shifts at the time and the litter smelled really bad, I can't really describe it but it was bad.  I couldn't go to sleep because of the smell.  I went out got some of the clumping clay litter and switched out the litter.
That's how it was for me, too. Horrible smell, unlike anything I can relate it to. My cat was so happy to have his old litter back, he practically played in the litterbox.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh, I've been using World's Best for years and, though I have never had a problem, I really appreciate this heads up!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
ew, that is just nasty!!

I've used it for years as well. I will certainly keep an eye out for any potential mold, though my place is pretty dry