Lost our foster kitten to FKS yesterday

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi y’all,

my husband and I had a rough day yesterday. We lost our 2 week old foster kitten “Thomas.” He was a singleton and cared for by his wonderful mama cat but started losing weight earlier in the week. His mom also took on a four week old runt who was the same size as Thomas. I’m not sure what caused the downward spiral but my heart hurts and I know plenty of other fosters can relate to my pain. We tried everything to get this little guy to stay with us but in the end, he passed in our arms. I can only assume it was fading kitten syndrome. I can’t get out of the funk and guilt today. We’ve fostered a little over 100 kittens and this is only our second loss (first was due to a very symptomatic 5 week old kitten with Pectus excavatum). We are taking a much needed break but will eventually get back in to fostering.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m so sorry. It’s never easy to lose a baby you’ve cared for. You certainly did your part in fostering, and mama still has the orphan. RIP sweet kitten! :angel:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you. I hope you cake some comfort in knowing you tried, and that he had someone to love him before he went. I'm sure he felt that love and it comforted him greatly. Sometimes all we do is still not enough. It hurts, but we grow so attached to those sweet little angels in such a short period of time the pain is breathtaking, literally. The bond of love you formed with him will always be with you, hopefully, you can pass on that love and help another in his name. His little soul will be at peace.....RIP sweet Thomas. You will be dearly missed and always have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss, thank you for trying and for helping these little creatures, God needed a little Angel for some reason so he took him to a better place.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

Lord Bless you for what you did for him and what you are doing for others....... :alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart breaks for both you and that poor sweet kitten.
He deserved a long and happy life , and you tried so hard for him to have that life. Life seems so cruel and uncaring at times. It never makes sense to me why innocent creatures , like kitties , don't always get the chance to live a long , healthy life. I never understand why kitties who are so loved must leave us so soon. Iam sure that God must have his reasons , but I will never understand those reasons.
Just know that you showed that sweet kitten love and happiness in his short life. He left , knowing that he was loved. That is all any of us really want , to know that we were loved and that our life mattered to someone , who will remember us always. You showed that kitten that his life mattered and to that kitten , that was everything.
RIP Sweet Thomas!
You were and are so loved and will be missed!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Thomas, dream you deep. Your tiny pawprints are on someone's heart forever. There are more worlds to play in, Little One, than this one. My beautiful Berry was a wonderful mother...I'll send a prayer that she looks after you.

Catmomma14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just lost 2 of my 3 foster kittens due to panleukopenia and this was my first and only batch of fosters. 😭 It was so hard.. at least I could love them and hold them instead of them being in a shelter 24/7.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just lost 2 of my 3 foster kittens due to panleukopenia and this was my first and only batch of fosters. 😭 It was so hard.. at least I could love them and hold them instead of them being in a shelter 24/7.
I am so sorry 😞 thank you for taking them in and showing them love, even for the short duration that you had them. Fostering is hard and heart breaking and not many will prepare you for it but do know that you did nothing wrong and kittens are just so fragile. We’ve fostered well over 100 kittens now and I can probably count the few kittens who have been “easy” and healthy from the day I got them out of the shelter. Most kittens eventually get some form of diarrhea, vomiting, FKS, parasites, you name it. It’s all a learning experience. If you decide you want to foster again, maybe try an older age like juvenile or at least 16 weeks and older so that all the typical kitten illnesses are mostly passed and they aren’t so fragile. Are you being supported by a rescue? Have they talked you through how to disinfect your home after panleuk? If not, this site is great and many foster parents can guide you through that

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, know the heartache of distemper. We had it sweep through with the strays and ferals we were caring for, we lost 6 kittens and 4 adults, one by one. My husband is still heartbroken and talks about it. We had the vet involved to no avail.....try not to let this shut your heart to others who so desperately need someone like you to care. It meant every thing to those three you lost, and now they have someone to honor their memory which gives their short little lives meaning. It hurts, it always does, but the joy and love you receive from the successes makes it worth it. I have 3 survivors from our incident right now, and though they now have leukemia and I don't know how long I will have with them,the 7 years I have had them is priceless. I will keep you and your babies in my thoughts and prayers, may they always have a place in your heart because they surely have a place in heaven......

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thomas blessed your heart with his short life and left a mark in your heart after so a short time, he was an angel no doubt, and he will be not forgotten. Despite everything, he is thanking you for what you did for him, and he, too, won't forget you.

RIP sweet little Thomas.