Lost my love to HCM/Saddle Thrombus

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss. I have been researching things and diseases on cats and I did read about this. It's so sad that this happened.

My cat had Pyometra and needed emergency surgery. The only worries were supposed to be the anesthesia. She made it through with flying colors. It made me smile thinking she was you going to get fat now that she was fixed because she was a small cat and only 10 month old.

She came home the next day which was a Tuesday. She had liquid antibiotics and despite what the tech told me about all cats loving it, she hate it and fought it. That led to get aspirating it. She started a fever that Friday and had the beginning of pneumonia. She was hospitalized over the weekend. The vet had her tested for feline leukemia and aids. He was sure it was one of them and surprised that it wasn't.

He then told me she had blood missing. That meant her red cells were killing each other. He said she had anemia and would try prednisone and suppress her immunitybso her cell count go up from the 18 it was.

When I got her that Monday she was a sight for sore eyes and looked absolutely amazing. She was healthy and so lively. She did really well. Tuesday she looked depressed when she realized I was leaving for work. But she she and drank and was in good condition.

Thursday night she started with a fever again and was slightly lethargic. She went back that Friday for routine bloodwork and they were happy to report her count went up to 20. The bad news was She had a small hernia from surgery. Because of the fever, she was not considered stable but that surgerybmight not be needed because it was possible for her to heal on her own. They thought the fever caused her to be somewhat lethargic and my son suggested they keep her overnight with fluids to see if they could make her better. It ended up to Sunday that I went back to get her. She ate for me but not for the Dr.
The rest of Sunday was good for her. She ate every hour from 2pm to 10:30 that night. It was after I gave her the medicine that she acted I'll. She was in her own caged kennel so that she could have her food away from the others (so they wouldn't eat it on her). She had her own litter box and her favorite blanket to cuddle in. The idea was to keep her from agitating the hernia.
Monday my son or daughter couldn't coax her to eat. So when got home from work she did for me, but not much. She seemed really warm and just kept to herself. She was happy for me to hold and pet her but I could tell she didn't feel well.

I decided to take her in for iv fluids to help jump start her again. I intended this to be the only reason she was there. I never ever planned on putting her down. That never crossed my mind.

I was so excited to get her and bring her home. The Dr of the day wanted to talk with me but was held up in surgery. I was supposed to just pay, get Meela and go home. That is what I SHOULD have done. THEN I should have made an appointment to talk with them later without Meela.

When they brought her to me, I think expected her to look healthier. She was sad and depressed, mostly because she was deaf and the ONLY person who made her feel better was me.
She had cat food on her head, which I assume they tried to force her to eat. They said they would try every hour but her record showed they only tried once and it was 10 minutes after I brought her food to them.

When I held her, it looked like she was drooling a little. This tech told me that it was from being on the iv all day. Then I noticed what looked like a little bit of blood around her nose. It was a very tiny bit.

I freaked out. The tech then wanted to show me how to flush her iv. They were going to send needles home to do it. They could get the iv to flush. That freaked me out. I then was crying and very scared. The tech looked into my eyes and said "just take her home and see how things go". I wish so badly that's what I had done.

So she went to get a different tech. This one came in and said the fluid was nothing but that the blood might me a blood clot in her lungs and that her body might be wearing down.

They they went to fetch the Dr I started with and he told me that we had a couple options...he said I understand you have mentioned putting her down..I asked him if she was going to live and he said she had 2 of the 4 symptoms of FIP. He said her blood count number was back to 18 and that he felt she was just going to go downhill from there. I never asked many questions became I was frozen in fear thinking she was dying. I never asked what the other options were. They convinced me at the moment she had deadly FIP.
I ended up consenting to putting her down because I didn't want her to suffer.

While we waited I said my goodbyes but when Meela for down She ran Fri. Door to door like she was leading the way out. She tried to get in her carrier. Once she got I it She started getting comfy while purring. THAT ALONE should have convinced me to just go home.

I would have known myself if I knew our fight wasn't over. The thought and image of her running around, wanting to leave and that final image of her trying to get up when he was ready to give her the propanol HAUNTS ME.

I regret what I did. I absolutely do. I made a huge mistake.

It was after when the vet said I really do think she had FIP. He said she could have lived weeks or months and that he just didn't believe her 18 would go up again. He tried to comfort me by saying I did the right thing out of love.

My fear ignored Meela and what she was trying to tell me. I also ignored her fears and confusion of what was happening. I know she didn't understand.

The anemia was never fully addressed as far as options and other treatments. I truly feel like they didnt know what was wrong with her and putting her down was letting them off the gook from figuring it out.

They changed her antibiotics 3 times in just over a week. My feeling about that now is that she never was given enough time to see if it would or wouldn't work. The fever could have been anything from an infection from the surgery to the anemia, itself.

The fluids always seemed to boost her to want to eat more and made her feel better. If it were just anemia, I have since found out that it could have killed her all by itself. BUT anemia can be treated and there were many success stories.
If it really was FIP that too was a death sentence.

I will never know but will always wonder if I was in the wrong jumping the gun, so to speak.

I did find another story about a young boy cat getting neutered and got sick like Meela did and he ended up dying.

I truly wish I had read up more on options and treatments before I had even considered such a final decision. It haunts me on top of the pain of missing her and the grief of it all.

YOU did nothing wrong and I can feel your pain in your words. Had my Meela been in a bad way like your baby was I would have done the same thing. You will Miss and feel heartache over it, but in the end you did it for peace and love of your baby.

I'm sorry I replied so long. Sometimes when I talk about it, I feel like I'm getting off my chest. Plead don't ever feel any regrets for helping to end suffering..you did the right thing despite the excruciating choice.
Again I am so very sorry for when you went through. You knew it was time. I wish I felt the same about my situation.
The vet also told me he could test Meel as tissue (after the fact) to confirm if it was FIP. I told him in tears..what if it wasn't and I have to live with knowing we might have been able to save her? It's bad enough right now that I couldn't live with myself knowing I really did the wrong thing.

I hope your pain eases.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss. I have been researching things and diseases on cats and I did read about this. It's so sad that this happened.

My cat had Pyometra and needed emergency surgery. The only worries were supposed to be the anesthesia. She made it through with flying colors. It made me smile thinking she was you going to get fat now that she was fixed because she was a small cat and only 10 month old.

She came home the next day which was a Tuesday. She had liquid antibiotics and despite what the tech told me about all cats loving it, she hate it and fought it. That led to get aspirating it. She started a fever that Friday and had the beginning of pneumonia. She was hospitalized over the weekend. The vet had her tested for feline leukemia and aids. He was sure it was one of them and surprised that it wasn't.

He then told me she had blood missing. That meant her red cells were killing each other. He said she had anemia and would try prednisone and suppress her immunitybso her cell count go up from the 18 it was.

When I got her that Monday she was a sight for sore eyes and looked absolutely amazing. She was healthy and so lively. She did really well. Tuesday she looked depressed when she realized I was leaving for work. But she she and drank and was in good condition.

Thursday night she started with a fever again and was slightly lethargic. She went back that Friday for routine bloodwork and they were happy to report her count went up to 20. The bad news was She had a small hernia from surgery. Because of the fever, she was not considered stable but that surgerybmight not be needed because it was possible for her to heal on her own. They thought the fever caused her to be somewhat lethargic and my son suggested they keep her overnight with fluids to see if they could make her better. It ended up to Sunday that I went back to get her. She ate for me but not for the Dr.
The rest of Sunday was good for her. She ate every hour from 2pm to 10:30 that night. It was after I gave her the medicine that she acted I'll. She was in her own caged kennel so that she could have her food away from the others (so they wouldn't eat it on her). She had her own litter box and her favorite blanket to cuddle in. The idea was to keep her from agitating the hernia.
Monday my son or daughter couldn't coax her to eat. So when got home from work she did for me, but not much. She seemed really warm and just kept to herself. She was happy for me to hold and pet her but I could tell she didn't feel well.

I decided to take her in for iv fluids to help jump start her again. I intended this to be the only reason she was there. I never ever planned on putting her down. That never crossed my mind.

I was so excited to get her and bring her home. The Dr of the day wanted to talk with me but was held up in surgery. I was supposed to just pay, get Meela and go home. That is what I SHOULD have done. THEN I should have made an appointment to talk with them later without Meela.

When they brought her to me, I think expected her to look healthier. She was sad and depressed, mostly because she was deaf and the ONLY person who made her feel better was me.
She had cat food on her head, which I assume they tried to force her to eat. They said they would try every hour but her record showed they only tried once and it was 10 minutes after I brought her food to them.

When I held her, it looked like she was drooling a little. This tech told me that it was from being on the iv all day. Then I noticed what looked like a little bit of blood around her nose. It was a very tiny bit.

I freaked out. The tech then wanted to show me how to flush her iv. They were going to send needles home to do it. They could get the iv to flush. That freaked me out. I then was crying and very scared. The tech looked into my eyes and said "just take her home and see how things go". I wish so badly that's what I had done.

So she went to get a different tech. This one came in and said the fluid was nothing but that the blood might me a blood clot in her lungs and that her body might be wearing down.

They they went to fetch the Dr I started with and he told me that we had a couple options...he said I understand you have mentioned putting her down..I asked him if she was going to live and he said she had 2 of the 4 symptoms of FIP. He said her blood count number was back to 18 and that he felt she was just going to go downhill from there. I never asked many questions became I was frozen in fear thinking she was dying. I never asked what the other options were. They convinced me at the moment she had deadly FIP.
I ended up consenting to putting her down because I didn't want her to suffer.

While we waited I said my goodbyes but when Meela for down She ran Fri. Door to door like she was leading the way out. She tried to get in her carrier. Once she got I it She started getting comfy while purring. THAT ALONE should have convinced me to just go home.

I would have known myself if I knew our fight wasn't over. The thought and image of her running around, wanting to leave and that final image of her trying to get up when he was ready to give her the propanol HAUNTS ME.

I regret what I did. I absolutely do. I made a huge mistake.

It was after when the vet said I really do think she had FIP. He said she could have lived weeks or months and that he just didn't believe her 18 would go up again. He tried to comfort me by saying I did the right thing out of love.

My fear ignored Meela and what she was trying to tell me. I also ignored her fears and confusion of what was happening. I know she didn't understand.

The anemia was never fully addressed as far as options and other treatments. I truly feel like they didnt know what was wrong with her and putting her down was letting them off the gook from figuring it out.

They changed her antibiotics 3 times in just over a week. My feeling about that now is that she never was given enough time to see if it would or wouldn't work. The fever could have been anything from an infection from the surgery to the anemia, itself.

The fluids always seemed to boost her to want to eat more and made her feel better. If it were just anemia, I have since found out that it could have killed her all by itself. BUT anemia can be treated and there were many success stories.
If it really was FIP that too was a death sentence.

I will never know but will always wonder if I was in the wrong jumping the gun, so to speak.

I did find another story about a young boy cat getting neutered and got sick like Meela did and he ended up dying.

I truly wish I had read up more on options and treatments before I had even considered such a final decision. It haunts me on top of the pain of missing her and the grief of it all.

YOU did nothing wrong and I can feel your pain in your words. Had my Meela been in a bad way like your baby was I would have done the same thing. You will Miss and feel heartache over it, but in the end you did it for peace and love of your baby.

I'm sorry I replied so long. Sometimes when I talk about it, I feel like I'm getting off my chest. Plead don't ever feel any regrets for helping to end suffering..you did the right thing despite the excruciating choice.
Again I am so very sorry for when you went through. You knew it was time. I wish I felt the same about my situation.
The vet also told me he could test Meel as tissue (after the fact) to confirm if it was FIP. I told him in tears..what if it wasn't and I have to live with knowing we might have been able to save her? It's bad enough right now that I couldn't live with myself knowing I really did the wrong thing.

I hope your pain eases.

I'm so so sorry to hear your story! I can't imagine the long, scary time you and your baby went through :(

Thank you for sharing the details. As terrible as it is to know there are others who've had to go through loss, it's comforting to know we're not alone. I hope you're finding ways to cope and work through the pain - this site has really helped me with "getting it off my chest," like you said! I'm always happy to talk with others who need an ear to listen!