Lost my friend

george775

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've all been or will at some point be here where we lose one of our furry four legged friends.

I lost my 15 year old male cat this week, George. I had him since he was 6 weeks old until he'd just turned 15. He was a very different cat even as a kitten. Very alpha and quite demanding at times but turned out he was also very attached to only a few people and the dog. Very talkative cat and intelligent opening doors, meowing for attention then leading me to what he wanted e.g. Food, Water, Toys, Litter Box.. Catnip lol. He loved to get into my car for some reason. I'd take him for a drive now and then. He was an indoor cat but would sit outside with me at times but didn't wonder away. That cat followed me everywhere and was nice enough to come running to me if he was going to throw up haha! He liked to hide under the sheets if he was scared, he'd do the same at night to sleep if he was cold. Did these things since he was tiny.

George had kidney issues in the end and had lost significant function in both kidneys. He seemed to get better then worse then better. I made him comfortable for as long as I believe was humane to do so. These past few months he'd keep trying to hide away at times, turned out he was in pain. I had him on a cocktail of drugs to manage his symptoms. I knew eventually the time would come but was hoping it'd have taken longer. He came to me one last time in significant pain very early in the morning and I said my good bye's to him and gave him some more pain medication until I could take him for one last drive to the vets.

Logically I know what I did was the right thing to do. Emotionally of course it's a horrible feeling. This place feel empty now without him.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Bless you and George. There is no consolation - as you know - that anyone can give you to take the pain away. All you can do is know that George and you had a connection, which really lasts forever. I can tell that from your post.

It is trite to say that he is no longer in pain and in a better place - however true that may be. What you do know at least logically (and somewhat by the relationship you had with him) that he no longer could enjoy his life.

If you would like, we would love to hear more stories about George and even some pics of his life with you. RIP George :angel:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, George, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Logic is a wonderful thing, but...we still grieve. And we often still question ourselves even when we know we did the right thing. What I do know is that George loved you, and that he lived, breathed, and had his being in your love and care. Now, from That Place Where All Things Are Known, he sends his love, translated and purified into Love, back to you, to walk at your side down through all your days.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course, you did the right thing, you couldn't let that sweet boy suffer. But all our hearts feel is the horrible loss......
15 years builds a strong bond of love with your soul. He shared your life's journey and though he now follows a different path it will forever parallel your own. Love is spiritual, so eternal. His love is something that can never be taken from you. Not even death can break that bond. "Death cannot take that which never dies"
It is so hard to get used to that huge hole that is present now in your home and your life. It is something that you learn to cope with, live with, learn a new life's order. Only time helps with that. Just like you would feel if you were the first to go, he wants nothing but the best in your life, to love life and to seek its beauty and wonder. That is love....
He lives on through you now, so send him thoughts and prayers full of joy and love. Not tears and sadness. Though he is a part of your past now, he is a beautiful part. Do not let his death be more important than his life. That can never be, he gave you 15 years of love and devotion. so honor his memory by remembering and celebrating the goodness, the joy of having known him. To have never met him at all would have spared you this pain, but at what loss to your soul?
My heart goes out to you. I know how much this hurts. Hopefully going through such pain and loss will help us to enjoy the happiness and companionship of another love even more. Because we know how loss feels, how it affects our lives. It takes a long time to heal a broken heart.
His love will always be a part of you. Any future loves, and those of your past will reside side by side, never replacing, but adding on to, building upon that love he left you and helping it to grow even stronger. Do not be afraid to open your heart to another, like a mother with many children there is no limit to how many loves. It honors the memory of George and lets his love go on.
Please take care of yourself and know there are many now who will think of and pray for that little boy, bless you for loving so much to hurt so bad.....RIP dear George. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, un til you meet again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

george775

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the kind words and support it's appreciated. It's the worst part of having a pet but everything in life has a price and it's the price we pay for all the years we have with our furry four legged friends. George leaves behind a brother (from another mother lol) who mostly seems ok but now and then he wonders around the house meowing, that cat almost never meows. I try to keep him occupied and keep the same routine so he can adjust and he will adjust in time.

Remaining optimistic I know this opens the door to find another cat in time that needs a home. It also reminds me that the cat I have is approaching 15 and one day I'll have to make the same trip with him however he's had no health issues his entire life so hopefully he has many more years to go.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, sweet George. I love that he liked to hide under the sheets or snuggle up under them when it was cold. :hearthrob: He was such a good companion and you obviously gave him wonderful care and so much love.

I'm glad you have another kitty to keep you company. I know it isn't the same as having George there, but it helps. :hugs:

Rest in peace, little George. :rbheart:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
It sure is the tough part of having pets, they become family and it is hard to say solong to them when their time is up, and you did a good job with him as 15 years is a pretty good run for a cat although no amount of time is ever enough. But he is fine now, just fine, and when you meet again down the line he will thank you for taking care of him and it will be a wonderful reunion.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

Take care of the other one, he needs you now and you him.

I am sorry for your loss, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.... :alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost my boy to Kidney disease also, it is so hard to see them decline. The compassion you showed him at the end to relieve his suffering is one of the greatest gifts you can give them. It is truly heartbreaking final act, but one made with absolute love. I am sorry your George had to leave on his next journey. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

george775

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I lost my boy to Kidney disease also, it is so hard to see them decline. The compassion you showed him at the end to relieve his suffering is one of the greatest gifts you can give them. It is truly heartbreaking final act, but one made with absolute love. I am sorry your George had to leave on his next journey. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time
I'm sorry, it's horrible I know. Thank you for your kind words, all of you!

I didn't want him to go but I knew for a while he was on borrowed time. He seemed ok for quite a while until a almost two weeks ago then started going downhill. I'm grateful for the extra time I had and as much as I never wanted to do what had to be done I know it was what was best for him regardless of how I'd feel. I feel bad for my remaining cat that knows his brother is gone somewhere. He's never been without him before.

In time I'll find another cat that needs a home and hopefully one that matches my other cat's relaxed, easy going temperament. I know that in a few years I'll do this again and again until I run out of time or cats.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sorry, it's horrible I know. Thank you for your kind words, all of you!

I didn't want him to go but I knew for a while he was on borrowed time. He seemed ok for quite a while until a almost two weeks ago then started going downhill. I'm grateful for the extra time I had and as much as I never wanted to do what had to be done I know it was what was best for him regardless of how I'd feel. I feel bad for my remaining cat that knows his brother is gone somewhere. He's never been without him before.

In time I'll find another cat that needs a home and hopefully one that matches my other cat's relaxed, easy going temperament. I know that in a few years I'll do this again and again until I run out of time or cats.
We adopted two kitties at the age of three months, brother and sister, who were inseparable. Sadly we lost the brother, Rico, last year to probable lymphoma at the too young age of 11. His sister didn't know what to do. We have a third cat we'd adopted several months after the first two. He and the sister got along but had never been 'friends.' Now, after several months of the two of them being alone after Rico's death, they are really adapting. They are sleeping together and playing together so much more now. I think in time they'll be true buddies.

I know you'll find a buddy for your remaining kitty and that his, and your, heart will begin to heal. :hugs: