Lost my FIP Kitten

ct970

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lost my sweet boy Loki today at 5 1/2 months old. June 2020 - December 9th 2020. We got him back in September from a local shelter and it was obvious after a few days that he was ill. Took him to the vet and they said that shelter kittens can have things wrong with them that are simple but sometimes they are not. He was treated for coccidia but he continued to have numerous symptoms of illness. He was put on numerous medications for infections that seemed to come out of nowhere. For about 3 weeks he acted like a normal and playful kitten and I was ecstatic thinking he would be completely fine after we got through his infections.
The vet warned us early on about him being underweight, loosing some weight, his blood work results, as well as his persistent intermittent fevers and signs of illness that he could have FIP, but with his symptoms being so vague and coming/going it could not be definitively determined. We took him home and monitored him over the next several months and around November 18th I noticed his belly started swelling and I waited 1 week to see if it would go down but it didn't. At this point I kind of knew what to expect and had a feeling it was FIP. Got him into the vet on December 2nd where they did an ultrasound and confirmed the presence of massive amount of fluid on his abdomen but he was still perky so we brought him home, let him be ,and treated him with some prednisolone to easy his symptoms. Unfortunately we did not have the funds or resources to pursue the new unapproved and expensive treatment given we had spent past what we had trying to get answers as to what was going on with him the past 2 1/2 months.
By the 8th it was apparent he was going downhill, he was moving around much less, hardly eating/showing interest in food, stopped playing, very bony, I just knew it was time. His last day was filled with all the love I had to offer and some boiled chicken. I will forever be grateful for the extra week I got to spend with him past his diagnosis, as this helped me come to terms with it better. This morning we took him in and he crossed the rainbow bridge at 8:30 am. While he had an unfair and short life due to this devastating disease, I can say that he was loved beyond belief in those 3 months he was here with us and we provided him with a home that was full of love and care. I am at peace knowing he is no longer suffering or in pain. We will never ever forget him and we will forever cherish the memories we made with him. There will never be another like him, he was truly special. B7C125AF-21F5-4373-9BA4-3C8A101C0178.jpeg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
What an adorable little kitten! You said it best yourself that he was loved beyond belief in the time that he had. Loki knew that he had found a home, left behind whatever sad life he had before you adopted him, and lived completely in the present with you.

You absolutely cared for Loki in his bout with FIP and I hope that you do not feel any remorse for not trying GS 441524. I would not have done so either for many reasons, none of which need to be discussed here.

May your happy memories of Loki bring you comfort over time. How many people would have returned a sick kitten to a shelter and walked away? Your love and care made his short life a happy one as it is easy to see in the pics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ct970

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What an adorable little kitten! You said it best yourself that he was loved beyond belief in the time that he had. Loki knew that he had found a home, left behind whatever sad life he had before you adopted him, and lived completely in the present with you.

You absolutely cared for Loki in his bout with FIP and I hope that you do not feel any remorse for not trying GS 441524. I would not have done so either for many reasons, none of which need to be discussed here.

May your happy memories of Loki bring you comfort over time. How many people would have returned a sick kitten to a shelter and walked away? Your love and care made his short life a happy one as it is easy to see in the pics.
Thank you so much for your kind words and condolences, they are appreciated more than you know ❤. He definitely picked my boyfriend and I in the shelter, we were looking at other cats and he just kept looking at us from across the room, it was meant for us to have him, I wholeheartedly believe that. I do not feel remorse for not trying it because it is so new and with no guarantee, I didn't want to put him through that if it didn't help him any I just feel bad that we didn't have that option even if we wanted to.

And no we absolutely did not want to take him back to that place. He wasn't in the best of conditions at the underfunded/understaffed shelter we went to. They had a 5 day policy to bring him back if he was deemed ill by a vet but we said absolutely not, if he's sick and it's curable we will treat it, if it's not we will love him for as long as he has left. He knew love in his short time with us, and while it's left a hole in my heart I know he is free of pain and that makes me feel better.

ct970

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful kitten, I love those facial markings. I'm glad Loki had the short life he did with someone loving him!
Thank you, I do too! He was most definitely a unique kitten and had such an awesome personality even through his illness ❤

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sincerely sorry for your loss. Everyday I'd hope that there will be no new post in this thread, because it is just so sad when another one would feel the loss and grief, like most of us have already felt.

Loki will only remember the last beautiful months with you. You tried your best, and I am sure he knew that. Please hang in there.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Loki was so very blessed to have found you and had you in his life. You were exactly what he needed and you will be blessed for giving him what he needed the most, someone to love and care for him and be with him at the end. That you knew he was sick and continued to love and care for him is above and beyond what most would have done, I salute you for your compassion and devotion.
His love will always be tied to your soul. You made his short little life worth living and he will always be grateful for that. He was courageous and lived every second that he had, his love for life shows you the path to living as life should be lived, seeking every joy and happiness that life has to offer. He would never want you to be sad because of him, just as you would never want that for him if you were the first to go.
My heart goes out to you. Although you both fought so hard and he had to go, he will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers. He is at peace because he was loved......RIP dear Loki. You will never be forgotten, you will always have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Loki, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Those three months with you were an entire lifetime to him, and he knew beyond a doubt that he was loved. His life was short, but you filled it with joy, and I know he counted it worth everything to have had that time with you.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss, Loki was truly a handsome boy, and he deserved to live a long life, filled with your love.

Do not have any remorse for not being able to use that very expensive and unapproved medicine, because the chances of survival for that drug are about 50%.
I used that medicine on a FIP cat myself a few months ago, it really drained my finances, the cat didn't survive.

Your Loki will never forget you, just like you will never forget him, and he knows you loved him beyond imagination. This is what really matters.
RIP Loki, your eyes are shining stars at night now.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Loki was beautiful! I love his sweet, playful eyes.

So kind of you to give a sick kitten the chance to live out his short life in a loving home. I've lost kittens and it helpeds to realize that they don't know how comparatively brief their lives were. Thank you for cramming a lifetime of love and care into his short little life. He may have gone to soon, but he couldn't have been luckier than to have you.

ct970

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your kind words, they mean so much to me! ❤