Lost my cat to FLUTD/urinary blockage

n3vermindd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had to put my handsome boy down yesterday and I am heartbroken. In our situation, this disease came on so suddenly, and took over him with a vengeance. I am feeling incredible guilt for being unable to help him. He started showing signs late June, and I took him into the vet. Since he was urinating, albeit inappropriately, he was diagnosed with cystitis and I was given some pain meds to manage at home. I was told to monitor his urine output, but diet change was never brought up.

About a week ago, things made a turn for the worst. The morning started with him coming up to us and meowing loudly, we knew something was up. As the hours passed his behavior grew stranger, he was either hiding under the bed or walking a few steps, laying down, and making horrible yowling noises. Eventually, he began to squirt out bloody urine. We were told that cystitis creates inflammation and irritation of the bladder, and that bloody urine can happen- as long as he is going, he is ok. So we continue to monitor him closely. Every other time he urinated, it was out of his litter box, but the urine was clear.

In the days following this incident, his condition was growing worse. He wasn’t showing signs of pain, but I could see that he was peeing less and grooming down there more. That’s when I saw he was going to the litter box and nothing was coming out. I took him to the emergency vet, and had a catheter inserted to clear and flush his bladder for $1,100. He was sent home with a clean bill of health and a prescription diet. I was told that he had developed struvite crystals and that this diet would dissolve them within a matter of 1-3 weeks. But, if he reblocked, he would need to be hospitalized for 3 days, for $3,800-$4,000. There was a strong recommendation to consider PU surgery for $5,000-6,000.

I took him home, hopeful that this procedure and diet would do the trick. Sadly, not even a day later, he was straining to go again and producing next to nothing. He was still active, eating and drinking, and enjoyed the new food- so I was hopeful that he would be ok. But he wasn’t. He declined quickly. In 24 hours he stopped eating, drinking, and being himself- he began hiding, crying, making frequent trips to the litter box. For 24 straight hours he was in so much pain, unable to go, and I could barely touch him. I called the vet, and I was told that because he reblocked so quickly, repeating the procedure was not going to work- even the hospitalization. Unless I could afford the surgery immediately, which I could not, putting him to sleep would be the best option. I could not bear to see him suffer like he was.. it was heart wrenching.. he was getting sick and hurting so bad and I could do nothing to comfort my baby. I did not want to let him go.. the thought absolutely destroyed me.. but I felt I was out of time and didn’t have a choice. It was either watch him suffer a very painful end, or suck up my feelings and defeat over a financial matter and do what was humane for him in the moment. I am really struggling with having to let him go over this.

I have found some reassuring threads on a few forums explaining how difficult and life long this disease is even with aggressive treatment, but have also read many stories on how other fur babies are doing just fine after diet change. I know that every situation is different, but I can’t help but feel incredibly guilty that maybe if I had changed his diet after he was diagnosed with cystitis, he would still be here. I wish we would have talked about it then, I wish the vet would have explained the diet issue to me before he got so sick. I wish the treatments weren’t so expensive, I wish I’d had that money stashed away so I could have said I tried everything.

I find myself still researching this disease trying to grasp at any comfort that maybe this was out of my hands, but part of me still feels responsible for having given him the wrong diet, for not researching this after his cystitis diagnosis on my own, for failing him. I miss him SO much. My heart is shattered and I would give anything to have him back. If there is anyone here who has gone through something similar, it would really help me right now to hear your story.

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. It will take a long time to get over the loss. Don't beat your self up. Remember the good times, and your boy will be there waiting for you to arrive.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS albeit under sad circumstances. 🤗 It's only natural to feel guilt after your cat has passed and second guess yourself for what else you could have possibly done. We all go through something similar. But please remember you gave your handsome boy his forever home filled with love and devotion and for that he was grateful.:catlove: Although one of our cats who passed did not have the same diagnosis his life was ended too short because at the time they did not have the research and treatments that they have now. Many times I read the threads on here and think of him and how his life could have possibly been extended if it were today. My sincere regrets and deepest condolences on the loss of your kitty.:angel: