Lost my Buddy Smoke today

wvcatguy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In 2015, a stray cat made it to my porch and had a litter of kittens. The mother and father were the best cat parents I’ve ever seen! They say together on my porch and got down to play with the kittens! I’d never seen a mother & father cat so involved with their kittens. Everyone was spayed and neutered and homes were found for everyone except Smoke. I just got attached to him. He connected with immediately and loved to play. There was a huge snowstorm and I remember him sticking his head out from a mound of snow. I brought him inside and he just became part of the family. He played with my other cats and just made himself at home.

Unfortunately, after several months, he snuck out one day. I didn’t see him he was gone forever. My mom eventually saw him him living at a house one street over. I’d drive by and he’d stop because he recognized the car and my voice. Then one day he came back. He did this over and over. He’d stay with me and then stay with a sweet lady nearby. He seemed to stay with her in the summer and me in the winter. Sometimes he came back & had a cold. I tried hard to keep him inside and make him healthy. He seemed pretty happy. I kept him inside over a year and things seemed good. He was very attached to me and always sat with me.

My mom had been sick recently and I didn’t guard them exits quite as much as I had been. He snuck out in May of 2021. Went back to the same lady. I eventually spoke to her and she said “Oh that’s Coco! He has the loudest purr!” I was glad she looked after him. I’m moving soon and felt safe leaving him with her. Yesterday, he showed up and was clearly very sick. I brought him inside and made an area for him to sleep. He got up and got next to me. He made an effort to be close to me. I woke up and ….he’d passed away. Picture this. This cat was on the verge of death and walked a block just to be with me! Think of the distance he travelled given his size. I am absolutely blown away and honored beyond belief. Every time he had a cold he would come home to be with me. I wish I could’ve saved him. I loved Smoke! He was my buddy.

Sadly, my mom just passed away two weeks ago. At least I know he had a familiar face to greet him. I miss them both.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wvcatguy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the 2nd picture, Smoke is the kitten up front.
This third picture is of Smoke’s parents. The other picture is of him and his brother who I still have. Good family!!

Attachments

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smoke was so very lucky to be loved by you and the lady a block away. I hope that, in time, you will tell her what happened since she probably knew he was ill and wondered why she couldn't catch him to help him. Perhaps you can share pictures of him.

I'm sorry you lost your Mom too, but I'm sure you're right and she went ahead to be ready to greet him and give him the cuddles and lap to sit in while they watch over you.

wvcatguy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the kind words. Smoke was a true prince. This an incredibly difficult time so I appreciate this forum. Normally, I’d be discussing this with my mom.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry about handsome Smoke. He is at the Bridge now with our other babies. I'll bet
my Vincie girl was the first to greet him, knocking down other girls so she could be the first. She loves
handsome guys. He is in good hands. We are all here for you.💗 :rbheart: :hugs: :grouphug:

Love,

Mia xxx

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He loved you and wanted to be near you when he passed. I'm so sorry his time here on earth was limited, it sounds like he may have had an illness that he just couldn't overcome. He made his time here count, sharing that love between two families and bringing so much happiness to both.
The bond you have with that sweet boy will be with you forever. Love is spiritual, so eternal. There is no truer saying than "Do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened." He was in your life for e reason. To have never met him at all is unthinkable. So now go forward into life and seek its beauty and happiness, live life as you would want him to live if you were the first to go. His sweet memories will bring you comfort and he will continue to send you love because he lives on through you now. Time is the only thing that helps. It dulls the sharp edges of grief and lets you continue with your life's journey. Be kind to yourself and love those that remain in your care, they love you so much in return. Keep busy and know we are here if you need us.....,.RIP sweet Smoke. You will never be forgotten. you will always have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Smoke, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I am almost speechless at the depths of your double loss. I try so hard to say something meaningful to each person who has lost a loved one, but...I have none right now, other than, "My heart with yours. My heart with yours."

wvcatguy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very very difficult time right now. I’m such a pet person that ordinarily, losing Smoke would devastate me. I am tremendously upset. He was a wonderful friend. Losing my mom however, ….I can’t describe it. Cats were extremely dear to mom. She devoted so much of her life to taking care of them. I can’t think of Smoke without thinking of mom.

I’m sure I’m not expressing myself well. I honestly don’t want to get out of bed right now. I appreciate all the kind words.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sitting staring at the wall can help at a time like this. Let Smoke's brother comfort you and you comfort him. Don't try to do anything you don't absolutely have to do for your survival and that of Smoke's brother. Sitting staring at walls and ceilings is a good and soothing thing to do.

wvcatguy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I notified Smoke’s 2nd family of his passing. Very sweet lady who was wondering where he’d been. She said she has a few other cats but “Coco” was her favorite. We actually had a nice conversation about him. I feel like I wimp in that I ended up crying.

We both thanked each other for looking out for him. Then she said something nice. She said “we’ll both see him again & I’m sure he’ll be waiting for us. We’ll have to share him though!”
That made me feel good