Lost my best friend

4horses

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My best cat, Pounce has passed away. I have other cats and new kittens to play with, but my heart is broken. I don't really feel anything for the new kittens yet. They just seem so average. The little girl kitten reminds me in many ways of my Isabelle who passed away a couple years ago, but I miss Pounce. Pounce was special from the very beginning. He had many health problems - coccidia as a kitten that was difficult to resolve, and terrible allergies to pretty much everything on the planet. Lots of special diets, different medications for allergies, allergy shots etc. I spent a small fortune on him but I never regretted it for a second. I suppose you could say he felt like my soul mate, if that makes any sense. He was incredibly connected to me and just absolutely loved me- as devoted as any dog. If I was on the computer, he would push everything out of his way to be there in front of me, if I was watching tv he was on my lap, when I slept he was cuddled on my chest. I could call him and he would come and jump into my arms. If I was in the shower, he was in the bathroom with me, if I tried to take a bath, he would get all upset and try to rescue me from the water. He would start meowing in a distressed manner, and grab my hand with his paws and practically climb in the tub. His way of checking on me, I suppose.

He loved to make humming noises at me and had all sorts of different meows and would always talk back to me. Very vocal, but not in an annoying way. Mostly in the cute adorable way. Halloween was his favorite holiday and he absolutely loved being dressed up in different costumes. He would purr and enjoyed the entire process as I tried on different outfits- I think most cats don't really like being dressed up. He thought it was a fun game and since I was laughing, it must be something to celebrate. We won lots of Halloween costume contests, as he never minded the dogs and was one of the few cats that didn't look miserable.

I feel really lost without him. I keep reaching for him in my sleep and his spot is empty. Caspian ( his brother from a different litter) sometimes will come sleep next to me, but Caspian usually prefers the foot of the bed. Caspian was always clumsy and would step on Pounce and get hissed at and that is how he ended up at the foot of the bed. I don't think he feels comfortable sleeping in Pounce's spot.

I see so many people with average cats- their cats are grumpy or independent, untrainable. I just want my best friend back. Why does it have to be the best ones that leave us too soon?

Attachments

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
My heart hurts for you and Pounce. I completely understand the soulmate kitty connection. It may not feel like it, but you're doing the best thing you can - remembering the good times. Despite everything he went through in life, you gave him a world he might never have known. He was happy. He was spoiled. He IS loved. Just know that through it all, you did right by him.
Nothing can replace Pounce. Nothing should replace Pounce. Take your time to grieve and know, that when the time comes, you'll be ready for whatever kitty life adventure finds you next. And you'll be ready because of Pounce.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your precious Pounce didn't want to leave, he was called by something much stronger than himself......he COULD leave because he was your soulmate and was secure in the love you two shared, he knew it was eternal. When someone leaves us that is so important in our lives, we tend to concentrate on that end and make it into our world. It will take a while before you can gain the strength to move past that and concentrate on what is really important, to celebrate his life and how very important and fulfilling it was to your own. Do not make his death more important than that life, that can never be, that precious life is one of the most important aspects of your life at that time, and always will be.
Because it is such an important part of your life, you will never get 'over' this loss, you work through it, and only time will bring you some kind of peace. Time dulls the sharp edges of grief and helps us cope with what is a devastating tearing apart of our world. Your life as you know it will never be the same, but there is one thing that always will be, the love you shared together. This is because it is spiritual, and is a very part of your soul, it can never be taken from you. Not even death can break the bonds of love.
Try to imagine if you had been the first one to go. Would you want your sweet baby to spend the rest of his life grieving and wanting what can never be? Of course not. How do I know this? Because that is true love. Life is reserved for the living. Truly living means to fully feel and experience everything life has to offer, it's beauty, it's wonder, to seek and experience it to the fullest. Pounce lives on through you now, let him feel happiness and yes, love once more. His love would be added on to, any new loves would reside side by side with his. Never taking anything away, but allowing it to grow and bloom in the sunshine of happiness.
Every loss brings its regret and sorrow. Not one of us hasn't gone through the what if's and should-haves. That is a part of grief. There will always be regret and even anger because we feel helpless and out of control. Because we are human and will never be perfect. That love that is bringing you such pain also brought you such happiness, try to concentrate on what that love brought you, not what it has taken away.
I know I felt better when aI made a small donation to my local shelter. It helps you to feel better about yourself. Or donate something they need, unscented litter, bleach, cat food, it is always welcome. And do it in Pounce's name. Let the everyday tasks distract you from your grief, emerge yourself in caring for those little ones you have right now. Try not to resent them for being alive, being alive is what is right here, right now. What you do right now in the present will help form your future.
My heart goes out to you. my thoughts and prayers are with you all. You are not alone. Your pain is unique to you because your love is yours only, but we know the hurt, the life-changing pain it brings because we have lost little ones of our own. Take care......RIP beautiful Pounce. You will be dearly missed, you will have a secure place in a loving heart for eternity. May the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost your special friend, another Tuxedo has gone to the Bridge. He was so very special to you so it hurts even more, I can understand that, that is how Sylvester is to me and I dread the day that we must part ways. But he had a wonderful life there with you because of you, and he is fine now, just fine, and waiting until the day when you will meet again and it will be wonderful again.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for your loss, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.......:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, it's so hard to lose those very special cats. My heart goes out to you. Caspian may surprise you. You'll start noticing his unique little traits, too. I hope it gives you some comfort to have other kitties to keep you company.

Rest in peace, little Pounce. :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Pounce, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Your remark about the soulmate kitty makes perfect sense to us. Many of us have had them, many of us have lost them. We have gone on to love other cats, but that special bond remains, inviolate. My heart with yours.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about pounce. I lost a once-in-a-lifetime cat recently as well, and I know how hard it is. Hang in there! It takes a while, but one day the hole in your heart will be filled with happy memories. There may always be a little bit of sadness mixed in with those memories, but that's a small price to pay for all of the joy and devotion these wonderful little creatures bestow on us.

tbtra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss :( I lost my once in a life time pet a few weeks ago too and I'm heart broken.. My boy sounded like the special cat you just lost.. always there, always by my side... The pain is still so awful. This site helped me a lot.. lots of kind, helpful people helping us be in our grief. I'm sorry for your pain, I hope each day finds you stronger.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for the loss of your Pounce. He was a real soul cat, that sort of cats that happen once in a lifetime.
I can really relate to your pain. Your relationship with Pounce sounds very like the one I had with Lola, the cat in my profile photo. No other cat will ever be at her level, no matter how hard they try.
But you will be surprised by how Caspian will change. I think he's always felt like he was the cat number 2 in the house, and now that Pounce isn't there anymore, he will take the place Pounce once had.
When my sweet Lola died, the other cat in the house, who had always been in sort of a background, slowly stepped forward and turned out to be sweeter and lovelier than I thought she was. And when I lost her too, my heart was shattered and I regretted I didn't realize how much love she had in her heart to give.
So, be kind to yourself and Caspian, and let him express himself fully.
Pounce will not be mad at you for this, he will be happy for you and Caspian.
The other kittens might just feel like ordinary cats right now, but later on they will show you their real potential.
None of them will ever be like Pounce, but they will try to crawl into your heart, don't shut them out.
Hugs!