Lost cats...inside the house

Sc1211

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m new here, so apologies if I’m not following protocol. It’s kind of urgent.

Two cats went missing, INSIDE. One is a foster who was supposed to go to his forever home today, and the other is my own.

I’ve checked in appliances, cabinets, closets, everywhere...nothing. They are very social and are usually hanging around me. My only hypothesis is that they followed something into a crack in the basement (our house is old) and got stuck. But I don’t hear meowing, so maybe a poisonous snake that bit them? I’m just lost.

Any ideas???

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried rustling their treat bag or making some food-associated noise while you were walking around the house, in case they respond to that vocally? Is there any chance they could've door dashed, or gotten out a window?

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do they recognize the word treat? If you have canned food and they recognize the sound of the cans start opening some where you think they may be. Also start leaving any treats they like in every room.

Is there anyway you can see into the crack? How far down does it go?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sc1211

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve tried rattling their food, calling for them, opening and closing the door (so they think my kiddos are home, they love that). I saw them after locking the door this morning after I ran an errand, so they’ve got to be here. The window was open for my shower, cracked open near the ceiling. They would have fallen two stories. I checked outside, including security camera footage...nothing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sc1211

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are a few cracks in the basement, and I don’t expect them to open up to anything but I’m too big to find out.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you use a flashlight or anything?

Also, how much was the window cracked open? Cats can easily survive two story falls and it's possible it was too fast for the footage to pick up.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
This is mean but a loud noise will make them run somewhere else like a vacuum. Once you find them, clicker train them to come when called. Good luck! Especially hard with black cats

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One was supposed to leave for adoption? Hmm. Cats always pick up on things that cause any change in human behavior. For instance, they always seem to sense a vet visit coming up. I am wondering if they just got nervous and hid out. When the house is quiet for the night, they should venture out for food or litter box. If you can get a camera on the interior of the house you may spot a moving shadow. I have had cats vanish inside and scare me but they show up when they make the decision to come out. They can get into places like behind the linens in the linen closet, inside the box springs of a mattress, in between chair and sofa cushions, inside the dryer, behind the dryer or under it, on top of cabinets, behind curtains, behind books on a bookcase, inside bathroom cabinets, inside almost anything. I had one mom need a break from her kittens and she got under the skirting of a cabinet which led to a pipe that went to the hot water heater. I thought she was stuck when I found her by shining a flashlight which caught the reflection of her eyes. I actually sawed out a piece of the wood, only to discover she wasn’t stuck at all! She easily got out when she was ready. I grew up in a very old house. The attic was a place the cats loved. They were able to get in and out of the walls that way. My mom finally bought a stethoscope ( so funny watching my mom going around and listening to all the walls!) and was able to find their favorite spot as they bumped around. She closed off access only to have them choose another area to invade. It’s possible they did get out but inside is still my guess and hopefully you find them sitting somewhere and waiting to be served breakfast by morning. Cats are masters at hiding. Please do keep us updated.