lost cat in the house

blackjack714

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi,

I caught a stray cat around 5 months ago, now she is about 7 months old. she always tried to look for place to hide after a few months she was getting more comfortable at my place and with me. because my landlord did not allow pets so decided to give the cat to my brother. 01/1/22 night I brought it over to brother, he lives in a condo apartment. my brother let him out from the carrier and went to sleep. when he woke up he can't locate the cat any more. we searched the whole apartment we find there is a hole lead to under the bathtub and the air ducts. we suspect she might went to other apartments or might trap between walls. we put the camera in front that hole and don't see her come out. we emailed the landlord to notify other tenants about the lost cat. I called her name out loud too. We printed out the flyers and going to post them when we have permission from the landlord. please help if you have any suggestions? do you think she go out the building or other apartments or trap inside? I don't hear her meow. It is been 3 days. the first 2 days we thought she is hiding in the apartment and when she is hungry then she will come out and eat. but don't know where she is. I am so worried. please help. thank you so much!!
air ducts under bathtub.jpg
image 1.jpg
under bathtub.jpg
under bathtub 2.jpg
lost cat.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear this.

She must have been so frightened at the new surroundings, plus the fact that you were not there as a familiar face so she could have been confused. Somebody here may be able to pitch in for advice or suggestions, but I really do pray she'd be found safe and sound very very soon.

Can you try to put food near that hole where you suspected she went through and maybe she can be able to follow the smell of it?

Here's praying for you and your kitty. :vibes:

Keep us informed.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi,

I caught a stray cat around 5 months ago, now she is about 7 months old. she always tried to look for place to hide after a few months she was getting more comfortable at my place and with me. because my landlord did not allow pets so decided to give the cat to my brother. 01/1/22 night I brought it over to brother, he lives in a condo apartment. my brother let him out from the carrier and went to sleep. when he woke up he can't locate the cat any more. we searched the whole apartment we find there is a hole lead to under the bathtub and the air ducts. we suspect she might went to other apartments or might trap between walls. we put the camera in front that hole and don't see her come out. we emailed the landlord to notify other tenants about the lost cat. I called her name out loud too. We printed out the flyers and going to post them when we have permission from the landlord. please help if you have any suggestions? do you think she go out the building or other apartments or trap inside? I don't hear her meow. It is been 3 days. the first 2 days we thought she is hiding in the apartment and when she is hungry then she will come out and eat. but don't know where she is. I am so worried. please help. thank you so much!!View attachment 409655View attachment 409656View attachment 409657View attachment 409658View attachment 409659
It appears that your Brother has access to the basement or a Crawl Space. I would check that out thoroughly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blackjack714

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am sorry to hear this.

She must have been so frightened at the new surroundings, plus the fact that you were not there as a familiar face so she could have been confused. Somebody here may be able to pitch in for advice or suggestions, but I really do pray she'd be found safe and sound very very soon.

Can you try to put food near that hole where you suspected she went through and maybe she can be able to follow the smell of it?

Keep us informed.
thank you so much. we did put the food near the hole but seem untouched. I really hope that she is safe

blackjack714

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried putting food and water right by the hole? The best would be wet food that she can smell, but anything you know she likes could work.
thank you for suggestion. we tried that too. but still no luck.

blackjack714

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It appears that your Brother has access to the basement or a Crawl Space. I would check that out thoroughly.
thank you for suggestion. unfortunately there is no basement only apartments. hopefully the neighbors can find her in their apartments

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you for suggestion. unfortunately there is no basement only apartments. hopefully the neighbors can find her in their apartments
That's different . I live in a Condo Apartment with a full basement. Plus have a attached garage . My younger Cat Jackpot whom is 2.5 yrs. Can conceal himself beneath the floor. I usually can convince him to come out by shaking the container of "Wisker lickens".

blackjack714

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried putting food and water right by the hole? The best would be wet food that she can smell, but anything you know she likes could work.
thank you for suggestion. yes, did. my concern is that she went too far down the building or trapped.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually ran the vacuum to find my cat! Once found be sure to clicker train her to come when called. If you are sure he went in the air ducts vacuum bad idea

Last edited:

blackjack714

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am sorry to hear this.

Keep us informed.
thank you so much. I did put some food near that hold.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Along with the ideas of putting out food like strong smelling sardines, or tuna...

2. Have you tried looking into the hole...with a mirror and flashlight...?
You would be looking for the 'eye-shine of the cat's eyes'....reflected back to you.

3. Try using this recording...of a mama cat calling her kittens....see post #5:
I need a sound recording of mom cat "trumpeting" call for kittens
(huge shout of thanks to our member @ Norachan...for posting this idea...from a previous thread)

4. Other useful tips and ideas are here...
Tips for finding a lost cat
I especially like the tip of using neon signs...at crossroads...to get more attention to your lost cat.

5. This thread has helpful ideas...especially the links:
Lost Cat

6. Lastly if you can rent/borrow or buy an electrician or plumber's 'endoscope or boroscope,'...'inspection camera,' to look into the walls and inaccessible places, that may help, in locating her.
Amazon.co.uk : endoscope camera
Amazon.co.uk : inspection camera

(I have this thermal leak detector, ..but not sure how accurate it would be to scan through walls.
I think it only works on surfaces.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0044R87BE/?tag=
If you could find something similar...to scan for the heat signature of your cat...then it might possibly work.
Not sure if it would be strong enough, though.)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Along with the ideas of putting out food like strong smelling sardines, or tuna...

2. Have you tried looking into the hole...with a mirror and flashlight...?
You would be looking for the 'eye-shine of the cat's eyes'....reflected back to you.

(huge shout of thanks to our member @ Norachan...for posting this idea...from a previous thread)

4. Other useful tips and ideas are here...
Tips for finding a lost cat
I especially like the tip of using neon signs...at crossroads...to get more attention to your lost cat.

5. This thread has helpful ideas...especially the links:
Lost Cat

6. Lastly if you can rent/borrow or buy an electrician or plumber's 'endoscope or boroscope,'...'inspection camera,' to look into the walls and inaccessible places, that may help, in locating her.
Amazon.co.uk : endoscope camera
Amazon.co.uk : inspection camera

(I have this thermal leak detector, ..but not sure how accurate it would be to scan through walls.
I think it only works on surfaces.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0044R87BE/?tag=
If you could find something similar...to scan for the heat signature of your cat...then it might possibly work.
Not sure if it would be strong enough, though.)
New born kittens meowing immediately attracts my cats

AndreaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi,

I caught a stray cat around 5 months ago, now she is about 7 months old. she always tried to look for place to hide after a few months she was getting more comfortable at my place and with me. because my landlord did not allow pets so decided to give the cat to my brother. 01/1/22 night I brought it over to brother, he lives in a condo apartment. my brother let him out from the carrier and went to sleep. when he woke up he can't locate the cat any more. we searched the whole apartment we find there is a hole lead to under the bathtub and the air ducts. we suspect she might went to other apartments or might trap between walls. we put the camera in front that hole and don't see her come out. we emailed the landlord to notify other tenants about the lost cat. I called her name out loud too. We printed out the flyers and going to post them when we have permission from the landlord. please help if you have any suggestions? do you think she go out the building or other apartments or trap inside? I don't hear her meow. It is been 3 days. the first 2 days we thought she is hiding in the apartment and when she is hungry then she will come out and eat. but don't know where she is. I am so worried. please help. thank you so much!!View attachment 409655View attachment 409656View attachment 409657View attachment 409658View attachment 409708
Oh this post is going to haunt me. Really praying he’s not stuck!
While it’s possible he went in that hole, I have known feral kittens to hide behind dishwashers, trash compactors, and once even behind a painting hanging on the wall. I assume you have seen no evidence of him eating any of the food you left out? That is troubling. If possible, can you be there alone without your brother and do some call and response to him? Call and listen. Put your ear right up to that hole. If he has been stuck he will be crying out for you.

if you have no evidence he is trapped in there, it is true that he could’ve gotten out. Can you put some safe traps around the building for him? Really wishing you the best of luck!

AndreaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh this post is going to haunt me. Really praying he’s not stuck!
While it’s possible he went in that hole, I have known feral kittens to hide behind dishwashers, trash compactors, and once even behind a painting hanging on the wall. I assume you have seen no evidence of him eating any of the food you left out? That is troubling. If possible, can you be there alone without your brother and do some call and response to him? Call and listen. Put your ear right up to that hole. If he has been stuck he will be crying out for you.

if you have no evidence he is trapped in there, it is true that he could’ve gotten out. Can you put some safe traps around the building for him? Really wishing you the best of luck!
Sorry- SHE not he 😔

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used this trick to rescue a kitten June last year. Three days to lure her, and finally she was rescued.
I had downloaded the audio of a cat call from YouTube to my phone and used my phone to play this file in loop.
At least you can understand if the cat is still around by listening to her meowing back.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
This post is going to haunt me too: if you actually FIND the cat can you start a new post that says “Found cat in the house?’

I don’t like KFC either but anything to tempt it out sounds great. I wonder if the local fire dept could help. They are great that way sometimes. Probably if it were me I would have torn the house apart by now 🙄. What about a plumber’s snake in the air duct?