lost cat in the house

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also I forgot the box spring of the mattress if the lining has an opening that also goes for all furniture that is hollow with a lining on the bottom
Definitely under or inside a sofa or recliner black cats are harder to see because they blend into dark spaces please update us on weather or not she's ever been found.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Running the vacuum any where will scare the cat and she will run out. If I need to get my cat to the vet and can't find her I run it. Just one of her many hiding spots
I think this works for your cats maggie101 maggie101 ...because they trust you, and are very settled in to your place.
Also because they have heard the sound of your vacuum, before.
...but for a cat that is terrified...and suddenly in a new place...I don't think it would work.

It may just cause the cat to run further AWAY from the sound...if they are in the crawlspaces, or spaces between ductwork.
But yeah, I can see your point.
You're just suggesting to use the loud vacuum sound to 'make the cat run'...and see their movement.
I'd be afraid that the cat would get more, and more terrified....and run the wrong way.

On the flipside, if a cat is terrified, she may even just remain in place, and not move.

(my cats tend to hide in closets when the vacuum is run, but also do as your cats do...and run the heck out of the room they are sleeping in. I usually don't even know they were sleeping under the bed, or in the closet...until I see them leave.)

There have been threads on here, where new cats have hidden behind and under fridges, and underneath stoves, dishwashers, or under and behind kitchen cupboards for more than three days. Just terrified to move.

(one of mine was found behind, and underneath the actual laundry machine. I had no idea, that he could fit inside the small access hole, and underneath the machine. Was hidden for more than half a day. I only noticed when he happened to be seen jumping up from behind the machine.)
. we searched the whole apartment we find there is a hole lead to under the bathtub and the air ducts. we suspect she might went to other apartments or might trap between walls. we put the camera in front that hole and don't see her come out. we emailed the landlord to notify other tenants about the lost cat. I called her name out loud too. We printed out the flyers and going to post them when we have permission from the landlord. please help if you have any suggestions? do you think she go out the building or other apartments or trap inside? I don't hear her meow. It is been 3 days.
Any new updates, blackjack714 blackjack714 ? :bluepaw: :blackcat:

Try to do the things suggested in this thread...and especially what the members have said, regarding inside furniture, too.
Don't lose hope. :alright: or effort.

Repeat the Search, again, and again....Looking at the same Areas...since your cat may still be hiding...or moving around.
Search all the spots inside the apartment, ..and again underneath the bathtub.
Especially this space, under the floor, and between the joists.
It's a very good hiding spot for a cat, who is scared, and who wants to feel protected from all sides.
(see red arrow below)

air ducts and cat hiding under bathtub.jpg

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this works for your cats maggie101 maggie101 ...because they trust you, and are very settled in to your place.
Also because they have heard the sound of your vacuum, before.
...but for a cat that is terrified...and suddenly in a new place...I don't think it would work.

It may just cause the cat to run further AWAY from the sound...if they are in the crawlspaces, or spaces between ductwork.
But yeah, I can see your point.
You're just suggesting to use the loud vacuum sound to 'make the cat run'...and see their movement.
I'd be afraid that the cat would get more, and more terrified....and run the wrong way.

On the flipside, if a cat is terrified, she may even just remain in place, and not move.

(my cats tend to hide in closets when the vacuum is run, but also do as your cats do...and run the heck out of the room they are sleeping in. I usually don't even know they were sleeping under the bed, or in the closet...until I see them leave.)

There have been threads on here, where new cats have hidden behind and under fridges, and underneath stoves, dishwashers, or under and behind kitchen cupboards for more than three days. Just terrified to move.

(one of mine was found behind, and underneath the actual laundry machine. I had no idea, that he could fit inside the small access hole, and underneath the machine. Was hidden for more than half a day. I only noticed when he happened to be seen jumping up from behind the machine.)

Any new updates, blackjack714 blackjack714 ? :bluepaw: :blackcat:

Try to do the things suggested in this thread...and especially what the members have said, regarding inside furniture, too.
Don't lose hope. :alright: or effort.

Repeat the Search, again, and again....Looking at the same Areas...since your cat may still be hiding...or moving around.
Search all the spots inside the apartment, ..and again underneath the bathtub.
Especially this space, under the floor, and between the joists.
It's a very good hiding spot for a cat, who is scared, and who wants to feel protected from all sides.
(see red arrow below)

View attachment 409877
I totally agree what you said about the vaccume.. when my cat was tiny she could fit between my kitchen sink and stove on the ground. Small empty space caused by construction.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally agree what you said about the vaccume.. when my cat was tiny she could fit between my kitchen sink and stove on the ground. Small empty space caused by construction.
I actually think your 'vacuum idea' is brilliant.
I am going to try and remember to use it,...if I need to,...if my cats ever decide to go hide...before a Vet visit.
(one of my previous rainbow cats...actually did hide before a Vet visit...and I couldn't find him anywhere. He was just hiding under a bed, way, way back,...and for some reason, I couldn't see him, because some boxes were in the way.)

Your cat sounds like one of my other ones, who actually hid under an armoire...the first day we brought him home. The front opening could not have been more than 2 inches high, but because he was a small kitten, he fit under. Two to four hours later, he came out. My late mom, told me not to worry, and said to just leave water and food, plus litterbox, in the room that he hid in. I worried anyways, and must have checked for him, every 30-40 minutes.
The places cats can hide seem impossible, but to them, it's not.
I have known feral kittens to hide behind dishwashers, trash compactors, and once even behind a painting hanging on the wall.
When AndreaG mentioned that a feral kitten was found hiding behind a painting hanging on the wall....I just thought, "wow". :eek2:
That's one place I'd never think to look. :headshake:
I guess it means we have to look 'high and low'...up, down, and everywhere in between, too.
Amazing cats. :blackcat: :caticon: :greenpaw::bluepaw::catrub:

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with under the actual netting of the mattress or box springs. When my cats first got here (three siblings we trapped as pretty much feral after their mom dropped them on my back porch when she weaned them) and were in my son's room, one of them managed to claw off the netting and then crawled up in the rest of the netting (like a hammock) and got "lost" in there, could not find the opening. I don't think she cried, either, because the trust had not been established. I went into the room to do feeding, and she did not show up under the bed where they had been hiding and I had been coaxing them further out with meals. I hope she gets found. I would put a can of Fancy Feast fish flavor wet food in every room maybe in multiple spots - not my choice for daily feeding but putting plastic bowls out with some in it, might work or might entice her to move. That same cat (who now sleeps with me), is terrified of thunder and hides underneath a chest of drawers that you would think she could not squeeze under, so check under furniture that looks too low for her to fit under. I have to squish my face with my cell phone to see her under there! I hope you say you found her, though.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow I hope you find her soon. Def try the cat meowing tape. Maybe set up a cage with food etc. and try to set it to trap her.