Lost cat in rural/farm area

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snowynight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nothing yet 😕

Feeding them away from the porch helped a little but one of the strays is still hanging out on the porch all night and sleeping in the boxes I have set out. I haven't seen her again but if she is still under the house she should be safe... I hope she has been coming out for some food and water.

snowynight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
New sighting!

This morning I saw her in the window of the outbuilding where I feed the strays while walking over to fill the food. I filled it and then left her alone for a bit and when I went back 30 mins later to bring some wet food she had already eaten some of the food. Back to the house and I see her in a different window of the same outbuilding. I tried to wait around with the wet food but she is too scared of me. It does seem like she is doing well outside.

I don't want to scare her out of that building by coming and going too much so I'm just watching for now... She is acting very similar to the strays outside so we are thinking traps may be the way to go.

snowynight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure, we don't really have a plan.

I checked on her food and she has eaten about 1/3 of a can of wet food and maybe 1/4 cup of dry. I'm not sure if that's all shes eaten since she left but that should keep her going for a few days at least. When I checked on her I saw her scamper out of her sleeping spot to somewhere else in the building. There are too many hiding spots and escape routes (for cats not people) in the building for me to even think about catching her in there.

Now that her food is topped up again I think I will just leave her alone for the rest of the day. I don't want her being scared to stay where she is.

I think if we leave a trap in that building we have a good chance of catching her... there is also a good chance of catching another cat and scaring her off.

Now that shes had some food she might be a bit tougher to trap. I've just had a read of the trapping threads you recommended and I think she is a good candidate to trap haha. Not very smart most of the time... I'm not sure if trapping is the best way to go but like I mentioned before it would be good to feel like I'm doing something to help the situation rather than just hoping she comes home. There is a sale on animal traps on in the city so I will see if I can pick one/some up tonight or tomorrow. It's great that shes active during the day rather than at night like the strays.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if you go out there and just sit, read or play on your phone or whatever, maybe read out loud so she recognizes your voice, if she'd come and sit with you. And then, maybe she'd follow you back to the house, or you could have a carrier nearby and pack her up in that. Might be worth a try before you put the trap out.

Also, if you were thinking to have the stray cats spayed, have a plan before you put the trap out, because if you catch one and let her go, she won't go in a trap again.

snowynight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Willowy! I did try speaking and walking slowly towards her this morning. I took about 30 mins to move 10 feet and when I got within 15 feet or so she ran off. She made eye contact the whole time.

Maybe I'm just being impatient but it doesn't seem like she recognizes my voice. I work from home so we spend a lot of time together but it's mostly in silence. My noisy steps in the crunchy snow probably don't help either.

If I see her head pop up again it would be worth another try but I think shes sleeping now.

snowynight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Furballsmom. I saw her again at 5pm and tried sitting and reading/talking and making minimal eye contact for about 2 hours. She did move from under the outbuilding to the ledge (about 5 inches closer to me) but that's as far as I got before the sun set. By the end she had gone back under the outbuilding and was watching me from there again. Because of the snow and how the building is set up the closest I can get without starting to be in her space is about 25 feet away and I'm not sure she feels safe walking that distance in the open. It does seem like she recognizes me which is great.

I picked up a trap and the weather is warmer tomorrow so I may try that. I think she is the only cat in that outbuilding during the day (assuming she stays there) so I don't have a lot to lose by setting it and hoping for the best. Now that I know she is active during the day I can try spending some more time outside during the day and hoping she comes to me. Tonight will be her 7th night out.

Just as I was about to post this I saw a new stray at my feeding party... They seem a bit upset that I've moved it from the porch.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She did move from under the outbuilding to the ledge (about 5 inches closer to me) but that's as far as I got before the sun set.
For this sweet babycat being she's such a timid little soul, this is HUGE, and never mind that she retreated a bit later. Good for you!!

They seem a bit upset that I've moved it from the porch.
lol, yeah, I s'pose they are but it's ok. When things are back to normal you can decide whether you want to move it back to where it was before.

snowynight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm happy to report that I have a very easily trapped cat! I put the trap out and about 2 minutes later I hear a crash and shes inside. :lovecat2: Massive relief.

Jellybean is home!!

I've got her in a room away from our other cat and away from the front door until she gets cleaned up and has some rest.

Shes running around like she was never even gone. Back to bothering me while I'm working and rubbing up against my legs. She is already looking longingly out the windows...

Once the weather warms up a bit I'm going to start taking her on walks on a leash so she gets a bit more comfortable outside. Shes never getting out again... but if she does hopefully she will be a bit more familiar with the outside and less scared.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yess:So glad to hear she is inside!!!

First thing to do is look into ways to keep her away from the door when you have to leave (see article below for some ideas). And, if you do pursue the leash training, one thing I have heard helps is to carry the cat across the doorway and don't put them down until you are completely outside and away from the door. Then, upon returning to the house, pick her up once again and carry her in. This sets the routine in her mind that the way she gets outside is in your arms!!

How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door – Cat Articles

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
What a relief. Might want to keep her away from other pets until you have a chance to be sure she didn't catch anything outside. Even with revolution or other anti parasite medicine it just takes two fleas to get an infestation. Give her a good brushing and part her fur to look for the buggers.

snowynight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for following along and welcoming her home! Shes doing great and is having a nap in a sunbeam as we speak. With how needy/loving she is I'm surprised she did so well outside :catlove: