Lost cat found after two + years, reintroducing to home (and new cat????)

willworkforcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone.

First post, and a hard question.

28 months ago, our cat disappeared. Mina.  Had her for five years from kittenhood on.  Through a move and a house remodel.  She'd lived in a camper with me as I traveled.  She'd moved to new states.  She's ride on on my back as I walked around the house.

She'd go on our back porch in the new house, but it was protected.  She was a great, well traveled cat.  

Then, she one say she was gone. Off the porch, never to be found again.

After months of looking for her, robo-calls, a great neighborhood searching for her, tons of flyers, walking at 2 or 3 in the morning when it's quiet...  we stopped the 100% search, and moved it mentally to the" I'll look for her, but don't expect to see her" search.

A few months later, a neighborhood ad showed a cat that needed rescue that we weren't quite ready for, but had to help. 

Cleo became the new, previously declawed, super nice cat that inhabits our house.  "super nice" doesn't even say it.  

28 months later.  I'll say again: 28 MONTHS later...  on election day, we come across our missing cat two blocks from our house.    Her voice has changed (now sounds a bit like a feline Tom Waits, actually) and she's kind of a jerk (well, she sort of always was..., she was always fighty and bold) but it's her.  She slowly follows us the our house.  See sets up camp on the back porch, with our help.  She's there for awhile, and leaves again later at night.

I find out who's been feeding her, and see her the next day.  I walk up to the house, and she's hanging out with four other cats.  Literally acts like the teenager who doesn't recognize me.  I feel like maybe sh's okay where she is. 

She shows up again tonight, super happy to see us.  Spends lots of time with us.  Hangs out, spends time with us, sleeps in the blanket I brought out.  Leaves, comes back again.  Wants to come in, if I'd let her.

So:  The boisterous cat I had for five years may have returned.  I have the super sweet, declawed cat I rescued.  How in the world do I integrate them, or am I out of luck?  (Both neutered females, by the way)

Cleo, the declawed rescue:

Mina, the magically reappearing cat: (getting comfy in a temporary back-porch bed)

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for your help.

Matthew

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Such pretty girls! That's great that Mina eventually made it home!

Your best bet will likely be to treat her as an entirely new addition. Since you don't entirely know what she's been up to for the past 2 years, I would start with a vet visit, just to rule out anything new that may have cropped up since you last saw her and to make sure she's clear for parasites - you wouldn't want anything passed to Cleo. After that, you can start introducing them slowly. We list the steps here:
[article="32680"]How To Successfully Introduce Cats The Ultimate Guide  [/article][article="29726"]Introducing Cats To Cats  [/article]
Since you describe Cleo as so laid back, it\s not likely you'll run into many problems, but it's always a good idea to just take it slow and allow the cats to set the pace. They may take a few weeks, or they may be best friends in a day or so.

Good luck!

Last edited:

CherylAnnd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone.

28 months ago, our cat disappeared. Mina. Had her for five years from kittenhood on. Through a move and a house remodel. She'd lived in a camper with me as I traveled. She'd moved to new states. She's ride on on my back as I walked around the house.

She'd go on our back porch in the new house, but it was protected. She was a great, well traveled cat.

After months of looking for her, robo-calls, a great neighborhood searching for her, tons of flyers, walking at 2 or 3 in the morning when it's quiet... we stopped the 100% search, and moved it mentally to the" I'll look for her, but don't expect to see her" search.

A few months later, a neighborhood ad showed a cat that needed rescue that we weren't quite ready for, but had to help.

Cleo became the new, previously declawed, super nice cat that inhabits our house. "super nice" doesn't even say it.

28 months later. I'll say again: 28 MONTHS later... on election day, we come across our missing cat two blocks from our house. Her voice has changed (now sounds a bit like a feline Tom Waits, actually) and she's kind of a jerk (well, she sort of always was..., she was always fighty and bold) but it's her. She slowly follows us the our house. See sets up camp on the back porch, with our help. She's there for awhile, and leaves again later at night.

I find out who's been feeding her, and see her the next day. I walk up to the house, and she's hanging out with four other cats. Literally acts like the teenager who doesn't recognize me. I feel like maybe sh's okay where she is.

She shows up again tonight, super happy to see us. Spends lots of time with us. Hangs out, spends time with us, sleeps in the blanket I brought out. Leaves, comes back again. Wants to come in, if I'd let her.

So: The boisterous cat I had for five years may have returned. I have the super sweet, declawed cat I rescued. How in the world do I integrate them, or am I out of luck? (Both neutered females, by the way)

Mina, the magically reappearing cat: (getting comfy in a temporary back-porch bed)

Any suggestions?

Matthew
Hi everyone.

28 months ago, our cat disappeared. Mina. Had her for five years from kittenhood on. Through a move and a house remodel. She'd lived in a camper with me as I traveled. She'd moved to new states. She's ride on on my back as I walked around the house.

She'd go on our back porch in the new house, but it was protected. She was a great, well traveled cat.

After months of looking for her, robo-calls, a great neighborhood searching for her, tons of flyers, walking at 2 or 3 in the morning when it's quiet... we stopped the 100% search, and moved it mentally to the" I'll look for her, but don't expect to see her" search.

Cleo became the new, previously declawed, super nice cat that inhabits our house. "super nice" doesn't even say it.

28 months later. I'll say again: 28 MONTHS later... on election day, we come across our missing cat two blocks from our house. Her voice has changed (now sounds a bit like a feline Tom Waits, actually) and she's kind of a jerk (well, she sort of always was..., she was always fighty and bold) but it's her. She slowly follows us the our house. See sets up camp on the back porch, with our help. She's there for awhile, and leaves again later at night.

I find out who's been feeding her, and see her the next day. I walk up to the house, and she's hanging out with four other cats. Literally acts like the teenager who doesn't recognize me. I feel like maybe sh's okay where she is.

She shows up again tonight, super happy to see us. Spends lots of time with us. Hangs out, spends time with us, sleeps in the blanket I brought out. Leaves, comes back again. Wants to come in, if I'd let her.

So: The boisterous cat I had for five years may have returned. I have the super sweet, declawed cat I rescued. How in the world do I integrate them, or am I out of luck? (Both neutered females, by the way)

Any suggestions?

Matthew
Oh my gosh! That's awesome! I'm hopeful again. My kitty, Zimba, took off 3 months ago and I was looking for an answer to my question of whether to keep up the search or give up hope so I searched out that question and found your incredible story. Thank you so much!
Cheryl