Lost Cat and in heat

Lorili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I have a 7-ish month old cat who just started in heat about 4 days ago. I have an appointment for her to be spayed the end of this month (couldn’t get any sooner). She got out 2 days ago and hasn’t returned. I live in a rural area with lots of wood’s surrounding my property and my few neighbors are over 1/2 mile down the road. Here’s my question:

I read that cats can leave scents to help them navigate back home. If it rains, can she still find her way back? I drove a few miles around my area and called her name to no avail.
Thank you for your advice!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It is sometimes more difficult in a rural setting to find a missing cat. Driving around a few times won't cut it, and calling to her may mean nothing. Here are some previous threads (with additional embedded guidelines) and other information about lost cats, maybe they will help you in terms of what other actions you probably need to take - up to and including trying to trap her.
Lost Cat Troubleshooting | TheCatSite
Cat got out. Distraught what to say. | TheCatSite
Lost Cat Behavior - Missing Animal Response Network
Best Humane Cat Traps - Lost Pet Research and Recovery
Humane Trap Guidelines (3retrievers.com)
Lost Pet Statistics - Lost Pet Research and Recovery

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lorili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. It is sometimes more difficult in a rural setting to find a missing cat. Driving around a few times won't cut it, and calling to her may mean nothing. Here are some previous threads (with additional embedded guidelines) and other information about lost cats, maybe they will help you in terms of what other actions you probably need to take - up to and including trying to trap her.
Lost Cat Troubleshooting | TheCatSite
Cat got out. Distraught what to say. | TheCatSite
Lost Cat Behavior - Missing Animal Response Network
Best Humane Cat Traps - Lost Pet Research and Recovery
Humane Trap Guidelines (3retrievers.com)
Lost Pet Statistics - Lost Pet Research and Recovery
Thank you so much!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lorili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will. My sister just told me her daughter’s cat was lost for 2 weeks after they moved to a new area and found her way home. I’m not giving up hope yet and am praying she finds her way home but this is really hard on me. The weather is cold and rainy to make things worse.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She may well find her way home, especially if you have had her longer than three weeks. It takes about that long for their internal GPS to set to their new location. If she does, be sure to open the door for her sloooooooooowly. After being out like that, even people and places she knows can appear threatening.