Lost Both Cats Within 2 Months. Heartbroken.

liz35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About two months ago I lost my cat Tonic who was 13. He had obstructive cardiomyopathy for a long time but still unexpectedly died suddenly from his heart (I'm assuming). Then yesterday we had to put our other cat Lyric down that was almost 13. I don't know why the two deaths happened so close together, especially because Lyric was so healthy until a few weeks ago. I never had to take him to the vet until recently. Never had any problems. I even had him do a full well exam with blood work at the end of June and everything came back perfect.

I had the month of July off of work and I dedicated that time to getting Lyric a kitten companion so that we wouldn't be lonely. I spent July doing supervised introductions and getting them acquainted. It was a tiring process. Then about a week or so after they seemed good together, Lyric stopped eating and had vomiting and diarrhea. Long story short it got better with meds to stop the diarrhea, but shortly after finishing the meds, Lyric went downhill again. This time we was just not eating or drinking, and trouble/pain with walking. No more playing and he was sleeping a lot. After much $ at the vet, they only really found mild colitis. He was given supportive care but nothing was working. He didn't want to walk or eat.

Last night he started shivering/shaking and did not want to be touched. He was purring and breathing quick like he was self soothing. I got scared and my husband and I decided to bring him in to put him out of his misery. I keep wondering what more I could have done and if I should have waiting just a little longer. Was it an easy fix that the vet was not picking up on?

Lyric hates the vet, so when we would take him there, he would always "perk up" because of adrenaline I think. So he would always look better at the vet. This made it hard to put him to sleep too. Is that normal?

I will miss him so much and it was hard to lose them both so close together. They spent almost their whole lives together and I don't know if there is anything to one cat going downhill soon after another cat due to depression?? I am also having guilt about the kitten. Did the kitten bring on any of this? Can I love the kitten as much as I loved Lyric and Tonic? So many questions, guilt and heartache. I attached pictures of Tonic and Lyric (the orange kitty). RIP.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I believe Lyric was telling you, and you heard him, that he was ready.
You gave him such a gift. Freedom from pain, freedom from further hated vet trips.
I keep in my heart the hope that you come to see the kitten as another type of gift, for you and your husband.
RIP darling sweet cat. You were so very loved!

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am so very sorry for your loss of your two sweet kitties. Losing one is hard enough but two is completely devastating. My heart truly goes out to you.
However, you did nothing wrong. You loved your two babies with all your heart and did everything to help them. Sometimes, no matter how hard we try, the illness wins.
As far as Lyric getting ill and depressed after the loss of Tonic, it is possible that he was ill before than and no symptoms showed up until after Tonic's passing.
We all know how cats hide an illness and pain
You did all you could for your babies and they loved you and still do. Their love will always remain with you and your love will always be with your precious babies.
I only hope that one day you can think of your sweet kitties with more smiles than tears. .
RIP Tonic and Lyric!
You were both so very loved and will be missed forever!

Regarding your new kitty, let that precious baby comfort you. Your heart is big enough to love another. I know you will find that precious kitty to be a blessing who you will come to love in no time.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depression could very well have played a part in your sweet Lyric's downhill slide. But it was most likely due to a condition that he harbored unknown to you. You saw the 'perk up' at the vets due to adrenaline, cat's are masters at hiding their illnesses, and he hid his from you until the depression lowered his will to hide it at all. So many times we try to prolong the inevitable, endless vet trips, hated by all, forcing treatments and medicines onto a unwilling cat, prolonging the pain and the misery until it can no longer be tolerated.You loved him enough to spare him that, somehow you found the strength in your love to let him go, to avoid the endless misery. Now comes the guilt and all the second guessing. Don't let it consume you. Do as your precious little ones would want for the one they loved above all else and concentrate on the new love that will reside side by side with theirs in your loving heart. They would never want you to be so sad. Just as you would want for them if you were the first to go, find happiness and joy in living and they will feel satisfied they did their job on this earth well, they left a legacy that taught you how to love.
Use the bond you have with their spirits and your precious memories to bring you comfort in the time of mourning ahead. Feel blessed to have known them, to have loved them. To have shared their lives and given them what they wanted the most, your love.
Above all, never feel 'guilty' for loving again. There can never be too much love. It helps to bring theirs to fruition, it helps their's to thrive and grow too. Tears and sadness brings darkness and arrests the growth of all that is good in life. All that was good in their love.
My heart goes out to you. I know how much this hurts. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers and pray everyone finds the peace they are seeking. Take care of yourself, your family, and that new little bundle of joy that will bring you so much in the future......RIP dear Lyric. May you be joined in everlasting love with your dear companion Tonic, who you missed enough to be with. May the two of you find eternal peace knowing the legacy of love you left behind will be passed on and helped to grow. May the good Lord bless and keep you both, until you meet again!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
This is horrible, I am so sorry to hear this sad news. I don't know what happened, maybe it was just bad timing that all this happened together? It is very frustrating when something is wrong and even a vet can't pick it up, but that happens many times.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am so sad to hear this, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, what sad news. To lose two in such a short time is so hard. Sometimes, it's really difficult to know what's going on in their little bodies. They can have things go wrong that are very tough to pick up on. Please try not to feel guilty or second guess yourself--you gave him the best love and care in the world.

I hope the new kitten can give you some comfort. :hugs:

RIP, little Tonic and Lyric. :rbheart: :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentles, Sweet Little Boys, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Oh, Darlin, I ache so for your loss. But they are together now, at the Bridge, and waiting for you in a place where time has no meaning, and all waiting is so very short. I hear your pain in your question about the kitten. Don't fret...he will make his own place in your heart. You only have to be mindfully willing to allow him to do so. And think of this...the greatest honor you can do for Tonic and Lyric is to love another in their names.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About two months ago I lost my cat Tonic who was 13. He had obstructive cardiomyopathy for a long time but still unexpectedly died suddenly from his heart (I'm assuming). Then yesterday we had to put our other cat Lyric down that was almost 13. I don't know why the two deaths happened so close together, especially because Lyric was so healthy until a few weeks ago. I never had to take him to the vet until recently. Never had any problems. I even had him do a full well exam with blood work at the end of June and everything came back perfect.

I had the month of July off of work and I dedicated that time to getting Lyric a kitten companion so that we wouldn't be lonely. I spent July doing supervised introductions and getting them acquainted. It was a tiring process. Then about a week or so after they seemed good together, Lyric stopped eating and had vomiting and diarrhea. Long story short it got better with meds to stop the diarrhea, but shortly after finishing the meds, Lyric went downhill again. This time we was just not eating or drinking, and trouble/pain with walking. No more playing and he was sleeping a lot. After much $ at the vet, they only really found mild colitis. He was given supportive care but nothing was working. He didn't want to walk or eat.

Last night he started shivering/shaking and did not want to be touched. He was purring and breathing quick like he was self soothing. I got scared and my husband and I decided to bring him in to put him out of his misery. I keep wondering what more I could have done and if I should have waiting just a little longer. Was it an easy fix that the vet was not picking up on?

Lyric hates the vet, so when we would take him there, he would always "perk up" because of adrenaline I think. So he would always look better at the vet. This made it hard to put him to sleep too. Is that normal?

I will miss him so much and it was hard to lose them both so close together. They spent almost their whole lives together and I don't know if there is anything to one cat going downhill soon after another cat due to depression?? I am also having guilt about the kitten. Did the kitten bring on any of this? Can I love the kitten as much as I loved Lyric and Tonic? So many questions, guilt and heartache. I attached pictures of Tonic and Lyric (the orange kitty). RIP.
Awww, how beautiful and the two of them lying in the heart shape is just wonderful. My heartfelt condolences for your double loss.
We lost three beloveds within four months. The eldest of the three was 19, which is a very good age. But I am not sure the age of the other two, who were younger and whose passing came as a double shock. Yes, cats do bond very deeply and yes, they do become broken-hearted from grief at the loss of any of their own loved ones, of whatever species.
So many things in this life simply cannot be rationally explained and no amount of trying will make a loss "okay". The pain is the worst. Personally, my beliefs are that the soul is eternal and that our beloveds absolutely go to a place where they are whole, healthy, and Loved beyond our comprehension, where they watch over us until we are reunited in due time. They certainly want us to share the love we gave to them with others -- who ever could say there is enough love in this world, or that everyone is loved enough, when there are so many sweet, blameless, innocent, loving cats and kittens in need of loving permanent homes? That kitten you have adopted is your Tonic and Lyric giving you the gift of sharing the love you had for them with another deserving one.
I always try to adopt again as soon as I can after experiencing a loss. While there is love in my heart and a place in my home, I will do this. It is the greatest tribute I can imagine to the love I have shared. Let that love go on and on!