Loss of Appetite

siruh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is interesting. We asked the vet about Mirataz, but she was hesitant to use it due to potential side effects, given that his other systems were struggling, including dealing with diabetes. I'm happy to hear that you had good results! Did Quorra immediately regain an appetite?
Quorra did gain appetite pretty quickly. It’s absorbed into skin within 2 hours! She was a little vocal while on it, but other than that didn’t notice side effects.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is interesting. We asked the vet about Mirataz, but she was hesitant to use it due to potential side effects, given that his other systems were struggling, including dealing with diabetes. I'm happy to hear that you had good results! Did Quorra immediately regain an appetite?
If I remember correctly, it’s generally thought that transdermal mirtaz has a lower incidence of side effects than the oral form does, and the side effects are also pretty dose dependent. This has some more info and talks about effects on the kidneys for oral vs transdermal- Mirtazapine in Cats: Dosage, Side Effects, and Efficacy | Today's Veterinary Practice

Whiskers11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I remember correctly, it’s generally thought that transdermal mirtaz has a lower incidence of side effects than the oral form does, and the side effects are also pretty dose dependent. This has some more info and talks about effects on the kidneys for oral vs transdermal- Mirtazapine in Cats: Dosage, Side Effects, and Efficacy | Today's Veterinary Practice
Hi Dboots,
I’ve just been reading about you’re little fella ! So glad to hear that he has picked up and improving!!! Hope he continues that way!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dboots

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone, I wanted to keep this updated to maybe help future people the similar troubles. It has been a month, and our guy has made huge improvements. He gained back some weight, and is hungry every day. We'll never know for sure what was ailing him. He is on insulin twice a day, but a relatively low dose. He doesn't like the shots, but he tolerates them. We're now working to check his blood glucose at home on a regular basis, with the hope that we can eventually get him off insulin altogether. That is far from guaranteed.

He's on a wet food diet, eating about 150 calories/day. He is still "re-gaining" his past behaviors, which as taken a while to come back. Just today, he started to play with his toys again. So he's not "all better," but certainly moving that direction.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dboots

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It has been a while, but I wanted to provide a quick update for future readers. I'm now comfortable saying that our guy is back to normal. After being on insulin for a few months, we slowly weened him down to zero, and he's still doing great. We check his blood glucose about once per week, but it has been in the good range since we took him off insulin. He is happy again, has a great appetite, plays regularly, and explores.

I'll update this post again in the future if anything changes. However, I believe (and hope) this is the end of the story. Thanks to everyone's guidance and compassion.