Losing Fur on Tummy?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
When I went to pick Evie was a couple of weeks ago, I noticed her stomach felt...weird. I flipped her over and most of her belly fur is gone, from about halfway down her midline. The skin underneath is pink and healthy and she seemed unbothered when I looked at the area. I mentioned it to a coworker and she said that her cats get their "summer bikini body" every year around this time, but that the fur will grow back. If this common? I've never noticed it happen to her before. No changes in diet, behavior, overgrooming, etc.

Dexter and Emerson both have all of their fur.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've never noticed this on one of my cats before either. If your other cat is not showing similar symptoms it's possible something could be affecting her skin. I also thought overgrooming but since you said nothing has changed it couldn't hurt to give your vet a call or even send them a pic. Just out of curiosity, does Evie go outdoors?

I thought this Article about skin conditions in cats might offer some help until another member comes along with advice:
Skin Conditions In Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Evie doesn't go outside, unless she slips past me and goes outside to roll around in the driveway 🙄🙄 lol. Now that I think about it, I did switch their hard food....hmm.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Now that I think about it, I did switch their hard food....hmm.
Do you think she could have an allergic reaction to something in the food? Is she showing any other symptoms at all that would warrant an allergy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think she could have an allergic reaction to something in the food? Is she showing any other symptoms at all that would warrant an allergy?
No, she isn't. No scratching, sneezing, coughing, licking, head shaking, GI issues, vomiting....

I've long since suspected Evie has some sort of chicken...intolerance? Whenever she throws up a food, it has chicken as its main ingredient. She can do chicken in the formula as long as it isn't #1. She hasn't thrown up in ages since we started giving her food with turkey as the main ingredient. I think this new hard food may have chicken as the first. I was toying with the idea of switching them to a sensitive stomach formula and this is the push I need.