Lord of the Rings Two Towers

thirtysilver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
PS: I had a crush on a fictional character once, and I wasn't attracted to the real actress that played her! It is pretty ridiculous when that happens.

lisa_catfancier

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Excuse me Ryan, you posted as me again...
Thankfully, your remark about Gillian Anderson was posted under your name. I mean I think she is very attractive but I don't have a crush on her!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
We went to see the film 3 days ago and I really enjoyed it. Sure, lots of changes from the book but most were ok. The Gimli jokes were funny but they made him into a clown which he's not supposed to be. He's a serious and noble dwarf - not one to make fun of.

I think we should set a poll for the sexiest man on LOTR
But why limit ourselves to Aragorn vs. Legolas? Come on, give Gimli a chance!

I think elves are very pleasing to the eye but there is something very dreamy and un-earthy about them. I could feast my eyes on Bloom as Legolas all day long, but for aesthetical reasons only. As for Aragorn, I don't think Vigo is such a good choice. I'm a bit disappointed with his Aragorn. He should have a much more regal appearance and voice. The real men so far were Boromir and Faramir and the King of Rohan's nephew.

alexnell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm curious how they are going to fit everything into the third movie and keep it under 4 hours? There's the whole third book and what is left to do from TTT (shelob, etc.), plus taking the time to resolve the Arwen/Aragorn romance which wasn't in the books in the first place. I know I am probably in the minority, but I just didn't find their relationship that romantic, just distracting.

thirtysilver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't even know why they decided to throw in the Arwen/Aragorn romance to begin with! It has no part in the book! I guess they put it in because they didn't want to make one giant testosterone-fest about war and dark lords and sword fighting -basically the same reason they through in all the "boy am I short and fat" humor with Gimli. But I agree, I think the romance is just distracting.
The filmmakers certainly have their work cut out for them!

While I love the movies, they will never live up to the book!
-Ryan

lisa_catfancier

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually thought the romantic side made Aragorn more human. In almost every story there is usually a romantic subplot going on. Maybe it's to appeal to the female audience but I didn't find it distracting. I do wonder how they will end it?

nenners

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I finally saw it yesterday! WOW! Here's what I think about it all:

1. Legolas is hot/Aragorn is covered in dirt and sweat most of the time yuck!
2. humor is a good things especially with all the fighting and battles
3. books are always better than movies but LOTR rocks!
4. Gollum/Smeagal looked awesome for a computer generated figure
5. I think Frodo has the most beautiful eyes!
6. Yes, I would use Galadriel's ring as a engagement ring provided it was real diamonds and not fake (Yes I am a freak!)

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just started rereading the books. Of course, they are better, but the movies so far have been amazing.

I read somewhere that they originally cast Stuart Townsend (he played Lestat in Queen of the Damned) as Aragorn. I don't think he would have been right for the role, I think he's too young. I think Viggo is doing a great job. Aragorn is heir to a throne (Gondor, I think?) but he is also trying to redeem his family (going back to the finding of the ring, right?) I wouldn't expect him to be regal at this point.

Nenners, yes he is covered in dirt and sweat, and that is usually a turnoff. But there is something about him that makes me forget the dirt and the sweat!

thirtysilver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree, Stuart Townsend is too young. In fact, that's why they fired him!
Bren, you're right about Aragorn. He is heir to the throne of Gondor.
-Ryan

nenners

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will admit that Aragorn is handsome when he's not dirty. It's been a long time since I read the books. I read a good book this weekend called The crystal Cave by Mary Stewart. It's about Merlin and his back ground before King Arthur is born. It's about his childhood and how he learned all his secrets.

nenners

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, I haven't read that. I'm just starting to get back into my reading though. I'll check em out. I read usually Sci-Fi stuff like Star Wars. I also read a lot of the Pern series by Anne McCaffrey (sp?), I've read all of Jane Austin's novels, some Harry Potter books, what ever my mother reads and gives me. I've read a lot of classics too.