Loosing My First Foster

JoyM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3A4E0EC3-377E-4AF6-901A-095EAABF592F.jpeg
DB124538-F1C1-4B48-9355-B8C5973DC82A.jpeg
699C012F-5D10-4723-A473-6673131B500F.jpeg
I live near Columbia, SC and have been fostering for Columbia Animal Services since last September and have been extremely fortunate. The 2 one week olds, 2 ten day olds and 1 three week old all were beautiful and perfect little ones who each were adopted to their forever homes.
Unfortunately, last Thursday they called with an emergency placement of a 2.5 week old that was found with its 4 siblings having already passed from malnutrition and dehydration. We are guessing their mom was hit by a car and no one found the kittens until it was too late. They had given him fluids and a bit of formula and NutriCal but he was still dehydrated and extremely weak. You could feel every rib and vertebrae. Over the next 6hr, I managed to get 15-25ml in him and he urinated 4 times but he never perked up.
At 11:45pm he started crying. His body was cooling down even though he was against a warm rice sock so I put him on my chest and cupped him to warm with body heat. With every exhail, he would let out a little cry until he took his last breath at 12:02am.
When my 8yr old son and I return the supplies to the shelter, they apologized and told me that only 50% of orphaned nursing kittens survive and were surprised that this was the first we lost.
My son was broken hearted but was anxious to continue to foster. He painted rocks to put on little Jacob’s grave (he had named him) and I put his name and the day we lost him. He found comfort in knowing that he wasn’t alone when he passed and is now with his mom and siblings.
We just picked up 5 one week olds and 1 four week old (all the other fosters are at capacity) but little Jacob won’t be forgotten.

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are doing a wonderful thing fostering these kittens. Sometimes the little fellows are just too far down to make a go of it. Jacob was loved and cared for in the end. That is something that many kittens/cats never feel. Thank you so much for taking the kittens in and giving them a helping paw.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you and your son for showing Jacob love and compassion. I am sure that your efforts helped comfort him. The painted rocks are very touching. Jacob was a beautiful little guy it breaks my heart that he didn't get a chance in life

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You and your son will be blessed for caring for these little ones. Not all can be saved, though we try our hardest. You did your best, and being there for him at the end meant more to him then you will ever know. his little soul is at peace now because he will be remembered and held securely in loving hearts.....RIP precious Jacob. You will never be forgotten. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Lord Bless you for looking after his little creatures, for some reason sometimes God needs a little Angel cat for someone, Jacob is more than fine now but will forever remember the love and caring you and your son showed him in his short time on this Earth.

God Bless......:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart: :rock:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Little Jacob-Angel, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on more hearts now than you ever knew existed.

Bless you for being there every step of this baby's short journey, and for easing him from this (too, too tiny) adventure into his Next Great Adventure. It takes a special person to take on these tiny babies, knowing how deeply the deck is stacked against them. And you are raising a fine young man. I wept when I saw the little memorials he made for Jacob. What a precious, loving thing to do.

Run free at the Bridge, pretty baby, run free in fields of grass that tickle your tummy, in a place filled with warm sunshine, and butterflies, and where there are many mama cats willing to take in a little orphan.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Omg little jacob is so cute, i am so sad he didn't make it, and i am sad that they all didn't make it. Why is life not fair :( Thank you for doing what you are doing, i wish there were more people like you guys in this world. Poor Jacob :(:(:redheartpump:

WinniesMomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're doing an incredible thing, and I am so sorry you lost this little one. He was precious. He had love during his short time. I hope you and your son can take comfort in that. I am so sorry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JoyM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank each of you for your kind words. As a former hospice nurse, I would of course be sad when I lost a patient but I was happy and honored to be there in the last moments of their lives. This hit me harder than I expected it to. I knew the odds were stacked against him when I got him so I thought I was prepared and tried to prepare my son but we both cried. Maybe it was because he was so young and had been through all his siblings dying around him. Maybe I was just too hopeful that I could somehow help him survive the odds. Regardless, it was difficult.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry you lost Jacob! Though it happens with orphaned kittens I doubt that is any kind of comfort. It was kind of you to comfort him until the end.
729630D7-971E-4896-B168-1379C65B498C.jpeg
5B00FFD1-1B04-4D46-999F-AC8BE169C603.png

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
J JoyM ,
It happened the same thing to me a few years back.
A local vet called me on a Saturday morning to tell me someone had dropped a 3 days old kitten at his practice, and he was looking for someone to take care of this little creature.
Useless to say I was there 10 minutes later.

I did my best, waking up at night to feed him, taking a couple of hours a day off from work to run home and feed him.
Everything was going well, then on a night he went downhill quickly, I ran to an emergency vet clinic, but there was nothing we could do.

That poor sweet little angel went to the Bridge 7 days after I had him.

The vet told not to feel guilty, it's close to impossible to raise tiny kittens.

You did your best, that's what counts. Be very proud of you and your son!