Loose upper canine, will need removal - Prednisolone and anesthesia?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Does anyone know if anesthesia is fine for an IBD cat currently on pred (small dose)? Is it some kind of milder/shorter lasting anesthesia for tooth extraction?
I've had several cats who were put on prednisolone for 2-3 weeks prior to dental surgery to reduce the inflamation. There was never any suggestion that it would affect the anesthesia. They all did very well after the surgery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had several cats who were put on prednisolone for 2-3 weeks prior to dental surgery to reduce the inflamation. There was never any suggestion that it would affect the anesthesia. They all did very well after the surgery.
Thanks, this is very comforting to hear! Do you remember your vet mentioning that regular painkillers for post-surgery can interract with pred? Ours said that Musiaka will need an opiod because of that

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks, this is very comforting to hear! Do you remember your vet mentioning that regular painkillers for post-surgery can interract with pred? Ours said that Musiaka will need an opiod because of that
Two of them had buprenorphen for just a few days after the surgery. Another one still had a lot of inflamation so she continued on the prednisolone and I gave her gabapentin for pain for quite a while. Again, I don't recall my vet saying anything about pain meds interacting with the prednisolone.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Guys, any advice on what to do prior to the surgery to decrease Musiaka's chances for complications?
What I know so far:
1. Blood tests (done), ALP is a bit high, 138 U/L, vet says it's ok, what do you guys think?
2. Musiaka should be fasted prior to the surgery
3. We should get a heart ultrasound prior to the surgery
What else? What procedure could I ask for to check on his lungs and airways to make sure he can breath fine? Any other check ups? I'll do any, no matter the costs. Anything we can do at home tomorrow (surgery is on Monday)? Should he eat less during the day?

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so afraid of this surgery... maybe it's safer not to do it? I am panically afraid to lose Musiaka

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't sleep over this, the desicion to book a teeth removal surgery is killing me. Musiaka (an idb cat of unknown age but probably elderly) has teeth resorbtion. He doesn't have any lower canines and I have unfortunately no history of that. His upper canine is chipped and now it feels a little loose, but not hanging on a thread, just moving. His other upper canine looks better but the resorbtion has started as well. There's also plaque on some of his other teeth.

I took him in for a check when I got an impression Musiaka's teeth hurt (he was licking his mouth unusual long one day) and booked a dental surgery. At this very moment Musiaka is eating well and is playful.

I read so many horror stories about cats and dental surgeries. One of the member's cat went from playful and seemingly happy to experiencing a stroke during dental surgery and needing to be put down. Then there's root fractures being left behind and chronic issues. Someone's cat could never poop normally again after anesthesia for dental and so on.

I'm so scared to do this. Is this worth the risk? Musiaka is literally my life, I don't want to lose him

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for being so blunt but this is meant with the best of intentions... GET A HOLD ON YOURSELF!

I truly understand your anxieties! Casper's Girl-Human's IRL name is Hannah.
Let me tell you... Hannah loves her cat to the high heavens! The first time Casper got sick, Hannah was beside herself!

Casper had urinary crystals and couldn't pee. We had to rush him to the vet.

As you probably know, some cats just get crystals, especially neutered, males at about five years old. Well, that was Casper, chapter and verse!

As you probably also know, crystals are not necessarily life threatening, provided you get your cat the proper veterinary care, ASAP.

The vet will express the cat's bladder. Sometimes, they need to use a catheter. Sometimes, they don't. Depends on circumstances.
They check the cat's pee-pee to make sure there isn't anything else going wrong. They remove anything blocking the urethra if necessary. They give your cat some medicine and send him home with instructions on how to prevent it from happening again.

Yes, it's a very unpleasant experience for both cat and humans! No, it isn't cheap, either! I had to dip into emergency savings!

So, here we are... It's three in the morning. Casper's in the back room getting treatment and we can hear him crying!
Hannah is on her hands and knees on the waiting room floor, bawling her eyes out!
There I was, trying to manage my cat's medical care and trying to console Hannah at the same time!

I was going NUTSO, because I was worried about Casper, too! I was trying to manage my own emotions. I was trying to manage Hannah and I was trying to make G*D* sure that my cat came home alive and in one piece!

On top of that, I was dead-dog tired because I had just finished a 12-hour shift working in a factory!
I had to call off work, the next day and I lost 12 hours of overtime pay because of it!

So... Yes, indeed! I know what it feels like to be worried about your cat!

Casper had the same problem as your cat. His upper, left fang was loose and he licked his chops a lot. He ate well. He played well. He didn't show any signs of discomfort or illness but his tooth was rotten and it had to come out.

It was an "In and Out" affair. The whole thing was over in minutes. The vet got a long handled hemostat (surgical forceps) and pulled the tooth right out. She tossed the tooth in the bio-hazard waste bin, she dabbed a bit of medicine on it with a cotton applicator and gave him a shot of antibiotic then sent us home with a prescription to give Casper, once a day, for the next ten days.

It's been a few years since Casper lost his tooth and he's just fine! You'd never even know that he's lost a tooth unless you open his mouth and look inside.

I know that every cat's case is different. I know that Musiaka's dental problems might not be the same as Casper's.

However, I know that one thing is true. If Musiaka's tooth is so loose that it wiggles, it's time for it to come out!
If you don't get it taken care of, soon, you're going to have a lot more to worry about than just a loose tooth!

Please get this problem taken care of the way you have planned to! I want your cat to be healthy and I want you to be happy!

Please, please, please! Stop fretting yourself to death! You're only making it worse for yourself, for your cat and everybody else around you.

I'm not trying to be mean to you. This is exactly the same thing I had to do with Hannah the first time Casper got sick with crystals.

I had to physically scoop her up off the waiting room floor (and wipe up the tears from the tile floor) then I took her out to the car, turned the radio to the "Easy Listening" station and went back inside to see to Casper's health.

You know what I did? I pounded my (proverbial) fist on the counter, gritted my teeth at them and said, "Hannah loves that cat more than anything else in this whole, wide world and, if that damned cat doesn't come home alive and in once piece, I'm going to make YOU explain it to her!"

The woman's face went white. She gulped and said, "Uh-huh..."
I snapped back at her, "The correct answer is YES, SIR!"

We got Casper home, that night! :) Hannah hugged him on her lap the whole ride home! To this day, Casper is perfectly healthy.
All we have to do is watch what we feed him and make sure he gets enough water.

Now, I don't exactly suggest that you read your vet the Riot Act like the way I did but, maybe, you could take a little bit of control of the situation. What do you think?

Ask your vet questions. Tell them Musiaka's on Prednisone. Explain to them why you are worried.
Ask them why they think anesthesia is necessary? Can't they just pull the tooth and use a topical anesthetic like they did with Casper?

Maybe there's a good reason that we don't understand but it seems kind of fishy to me that they would just automatically use anesthesia like that.

Whatever the reason, make them tell you and don't take crap for an answer!

If they try to stall on you, do like I did. Pound your fist on the table and tell them, "My cat had better come home in one piece!"

There are two ways you can handle this problem: You can sit at home, worrying yourself sick or you can grab the bull by the horns and shake.

I know which I'd rather do! ;) ;) ;)

Thoughts and prayers be with you! 🙏

Sending good vibes! :vibes:

Casper sends good vibes, too! :whitecat: :vibes:

Last edited:

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for being so blunt but this is meant with the best of intentions... GET A HOLD ON YOURSELF!

I truly understand your anxieties! Casper's Girl-Human's IRL name is Hannah.
Let me tell you... Hannah loves her cat to the high heavens! The first time Casper got sick, Hannah was beside herself!

Casper had urinary crystals and couldn't pee. We had to rush him to the vet.

As you probably know, some cats just get crystals, especially neutered, males at about five years old. Well, that was Casper, chapter and verse!

As you probably also know, crystals are not necessarily life threatening, provided you get your cat the proper veterinary care, ASAP.

The vet will express the cat's bladder. Sometimes, they need to use a catheter. Sometimes, they don't. Depends on circumstances.
They check the cat's pee-pee to make sure there isn't anything else going wrong. They remove anything blocking the urethra if necessary. They give your cat some medicine and send him home with instructions on how to prevent it from happening again.

Yes, it's a very unpleasant experience for both cat and humans! No, it isn't cheap, either! I had to dip into emergency savings!

So, here we are... It's three in the morning. Casper's in the back room getting treatment and we can hear him crying!
Hannah is on her hands and knees on the waiting room floor, bawling her eyes out!
There I was, trying to manage my cat's medical care and trying to console Hannah at the same time!

I was going NUTSO, because I was worried about Casper, too! I was trying to manage my own emotions. I was trying to manage Hannah and I was trying to make G*D* sure that my cat came home alive and in one piece!

On top of that, I was dead-dog tired because I had just finished a 12-hour shift working in a factory!
I had to call off work, the next day and I lost 12 hours of overtime pay because of it!

So... Yes, indeed! I know what it feels like to be worried about your cat!

Casper had the same problem as your cat. His upper, left fang was loose and he licked his chops a lot. He ate well. He played well. He didn't show any signs of discomfort or illness but his tooth was rotten and it had to come out.

It was an "In and Out" affair. The whole thing was over in minutes. The vet got a long handled hemostat (surgical forceps) and pulled the tooth right out. She tossed the tooth in the bio-hazard waste bin, she dabbed a bit of medicine on it with a cotton applicator and gave him a shot of antibiotic then sent us home with a prescription to give Casper, once a day, for the next ten days.

It's been a few years since Casper lost his tooth and he's just fine! You'd never even know that he's lost a tooth unless you open his mouth and look inside.

I know that every cat's case is different. I know that Musiaka's dental problems might not be the same as Casper's.

However, I know that one thing is true. If Musiaka's tooth is so loose that it wiggles, it's time for it to come out!
If you don't get it taken care of, soon, you're going to have a lot more to worry about than just a loose tooth!

Please get this problem taken care of the way you have planned to! I want your cat to be healthy and I want you to be happy!

Please, please, please! Stop fretting yourself to death! You're only making it worse for yourself, for your cat and everybody else around you.

I'm not trying to be mean to you. This is exactly the same thing I had to do with Hannah the first time Casper got sick with crystals.

I had to physically scoop her up off the waiting room floor (and wipe up the tears from the tile floor) then I took her out to the car, turned the radio to the "Easy Listening" station and went back inside to see to Casper's health.

You know what I did? I pounded my (proverbial) fist on the counter, gritted my teeth at them and said, "Hannah loves that cat more than anything else in this whole, wide world and, if that damned cat doesn't come home alive and in once piece, I'm going to make YOU explain it to her!"

The woman's face went white. She gulped and said, "Uh-huh..."
I snapped back at her, "The correct answer is YES, SIR!"

We got Casper home, that night! :) Hannah hugged him on her lap the whole ride home! To this day, Casper is perfectly healthy.
All we have to do is watch what we feed him and make sure he gets enough water.

Now, I don't exactly suggest that you read your vet the Riot Act like the way I did but, maybe, you could take a little bit of control of the situation. What do you think?

Ask your vet questions. Tell them Musiaka's on Prednisone. Explain to them why you are worried.
Ask them why they think anesthesia is necessary? Can't they just pull the tooth and use a topical anesthetic like they did with Casper?

Maybe there's a good reason that we don't understand but it seems kind of fishy to me that they would just automatically use anesthesia like that.

Whatever the reason, make them tell you and don't take crap for an answer!

If they try to stall on you, do like I did. Pound your fist on the table and tell them, "My cat had better come home in one piece!"

There are two ways you can handle this problem: You can sit at home, worrying yourself sick or you can grab the bull by the horns and shake.

I know which I'd rather do! ;) ;) ;)

Thoughts and prayers be with you! 🙏

Sending good vibes! :vibes:

Casper sends good vibes, too! :whitecat: :vibes:
The procedure is too complicated to be done without anesthesia - one if the canines will likely have to be "cut off" as it probably no longer has a root or at least that's how I understood it from our vet's explanation. Also for plaque removal - polishing is very loud and it's impossible for a cat to hold still and have an open mouth for that long.

But I'm just thinking... if it's not a life threatening situation, maybe I should let him be and not take any risks with anesthesia? Musiaka is pretty normal right now, seems like he's feeling good, eats, has zoomies. Maybe I could just apply antibacterial salve and let him be while he's not getting worse?

If something goes wrong with this procedure, I will blame myself and if he dies I will interpret it as me killing him with my bad decision. My anxiety can't be calmed down at this point (thanks anxiety disorder/depression/panic attacks) as the worst that can be done for it is making me take a decision like that...

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The procedure is too complicated to be done without anesthesia - one if the canines will likely have to be "cut off" as it probably no longer has a root or at least that's how I understood it from our vet's explanation. Also for plaque removal - polishing is very loud and it's impossible for a cat to hold still and have an open mouth for that long.
Okay, so this is more than just a loose tooth. That's different than Casper's situation. He had one loose tooth and has never had another, since. Casper was a rescue cat and we think that he might have injured it in a fight or an accident. He always had a "snaggle tooth" on that side. We guess that it just took that long for Casper's tooth to finally fall out.

It kind of makes me feel bad for letting Casper go for so long with a bad tooth like that. I feel sorry about it! :(

But I'm just thinking... if it's not a life threatening situation, maybe I should let him be and not take any risks with anesthesia?
It might not be life threatening, now, but you really do need to look into this problem. Besides, wouldn't you feel sad for letting your cat go with painful teeth?

Tell your vet why you are worried. Ask them if there are other things that can be done.
Do you really need to treat your cat's one "snaggle tooth" AND give him a full cleaning and polishing at the same time?
I know that hauling a recalcitrant cat to the vet multiple times can be a PITA, but ask your vet what really needs to be done, today and what can wait until next time.
(Casper HATES going to the vet! :fuming: )

It is always smart, not matter what you are doing, to consider whether it is worthwhile to break your jobs up into smaller pieces and deal with them, one at a time.

My anxiety can't be calmed down at this point (thanks anxiety disorder/depression/panic attacks) as the worst that can be done for it is making me take a decision like that...
Yes, Casper's Girl-Human has the same problem. We got Casper for just that reason. He's the best anxiety/depression/panic medicine you could ever want to have! You have no idea how many times when I thought I was going to have to throw a (proverbial) net over her until Casper came along! It's weird how Casper seems to have ESP! Whenever she gets upset, along comes Casper and he hops up on her lap and starts purring. Two minutes later, that cat has already started to calm her down!

BTW: Has your doctor ever given you medicine for your anxiety? If not, call your doctor and ask for something. Casper's Girl-Human has some and it really does help!

If you don't have that, can you take Benadryl? Are you allergic to it? Do you have bad reactions from it?
Do you have high blood pressure, ulcers or urinary troubles? If not, call your doctor and ask whether it's okay to use Benadryl for occasional relief from anxiety. Although Benadryl is an allergy medicine, it also makes you drowsy. It is often just enough to help you get to sleep when you need it. Both she and I will take Benadryl when we're feeling upset and need to get some sleep.

Just don't take too much. One pill should be MORE than plenty! I'm a big, Pennsyltucky boy, almost 20 stone, and even I only need one!

But call your doctor first!

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, so this is more than just a loose tooth. That's different than Casper's situation. He had one loose tooth and has never had another, since. Casper was a rescue cat and we think that he might have injured it in a fight or an accident. He always had a "snaggle tooth" on that side. We guess that it just took that long for Casper's tooth to finally fall out.

It kind of makes me feel bad for letting Casper go for so long with a bad tooth like that. I feel sorry about it! :(

It might not be life threatening, now, but you really do need to look into this problem. Besides, wouldn't you feel sad for letting your cat go with painful teeth?

Tell your vet why you are worried. Ask them if there are other things that can be done.
Do you really need to treat your cat's one "snaggle tooth" AND give him a full cleaning and polishing at the same time?
I know that hauling a recalcitrant cat to the vet multiple times can be a PITA, but ask your vet what really needs to be done, today and what can wait until next time.
(Casper HATES going to the vet! :fuming: )

It is always smart, not matter what you are doing, to consider whether it is worthwhile to break your jobs up into smaller pieces and deal with them, one at a time.

Yes, Casper's Girl-Human has the same problem. We got Casper for just that reason. He's the best anxiety/depression/panic medicine you could ever want to have! You have no idea how many times when I thought I was going to have to throw a (proverbial) net over her until Casper came along! It's weird how Casper seems to have ESP! Whenever she gets upset, along comes Casper and he hops up on her lap and starts purring. Two minutes later, that cat has already started to calm her down!

BTW: Has your doctor ever given you medicine for your anxiety? If not, call your doctor and ask for something. Casper's Girl-Human has some and it really does help!

If you don't have that, can you take Benadryl? Are you allergic to it? Do you have bad reactions from it?
Do you have high blood pressure, ulcers or urinary troubles? If not, call your doctor and ask whether it's okay to use Benadryl for occasional relief from anxiety. Although Benadryl is an allergy medicine, it also makes you drowsy. It is often just enough to help you get to sleep when you need it. Both she and I will take Benadryl when we're feeling upset and need to get some sleep.

Just don't take too much. One pill should be MORE than plenty! I'm a big, Pennsyltucky boy, almost 20 stone, and even I only need one!

But call your doctor first!
Is it better for a cat to go under a short anesthesia several times, rather than one longer instance? Would probably make sense, as our vet told me that cat's bodies starts to cool down rapidly at some point (which is also scary...).
But still, every anesthesia carries a risk of a blood clot or a stroke. I have no idea how Musiaka's body will react. Just read a thread on here where someone went for a dental surgery and had to put their cat down a few months later due to stroke, even though he didn't show any warning signs before hand. :(
Musiaka is running around and scratching his scratchpost right now, just saw some birds outside and had an ekekek moment. He doesn't seem to be in pain. It kills me to think that there is a possibility this will change forever after tomorrow. We just had a round of antibiotics and his breath smells a bit better. Maybe I could make do with an antiseptic gum salve to relieve symptoms when they occur? This is not about money at all, by the way, I would spend all my savings on Musiaka if needed and I truly do have the money for all necessary procedures. This purely anxiety, medical distrust (not vets specifically, I distrust all medical professionals after some traumatic experiences) and mind numbing fear for side effects.

I'm on Xanax right now, but the emotional numbness it usually gives me disappears when it comes to Musiaka. I don't have children or any family unit to be honest, so he's truly my baby and my world

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it better for a cat to go under a short anesthesia several times, rather than one longer instance?
I don't know. Your vet is the person to ask.

I have no idea how Musiaka's body will react.
Neither do I. That's why I keep telling you to talk to your vet.

It kills me to think that there is a possibility this will change forever after tomorrow.
Casper's Girl-Human does this exact same thing. She sits in a room and frets herself into a tizzy for no good reason.
Yes, I know what anxiety is. I've seen it in her and I often get it, myself. Never, not once, has sitting around worrying about things done me or her one bit of good.

I'm not telling you to just shut up and stop worrying. I'm telling you to use your Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. This is the reason why they teach it. :)

And, if you haven't already noticed, for the last three rounds of posts, I have been trying to encourage you to use your CBT. :)

I distrust all medical professionals...
I'm with you, there! But, it's really not doctors I mistrust.

It's doctors who don't answer questions, that I REALLY distrust!

This is the reason why I keep telling you to ask your vet.

If your vet won't answer your questions to your satisfaction, find another vet who will.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know. Your vet is the person to ask.

Neither do I. That's why I keep telling you to talk to your vet.

Casper's Girl-Human does this exact same thing. She sits in a room and frets herself into a tizzy for no good reason.
Yes, I know what anxiety is. I've seen it in her and I often get it, myself. Never, not once, has sitting around worrying about things done me or her one bit of good.

I'm not telling you to just shut up and stop worrying. I'm telling you to use your Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. This is the reason why they teach it. :)

And, if you haven't already noticed, for the last three rounds of posts, I have been trying to encourage you to use your CBT. :)

I'm with you, there! But, it's really not doctors I mistrust.

It's doctors who don't answer questions, that I REALLY distrust!

This is the reason why I keep telling you to ask your vet.

If your vet won't answer your questions to your satisfaction, find another vet who will.
Well the thing is that my vet is just reassuring me that everything will be fine, the risk is low, side effects are rare - all that jazz. I called the clinic 5 times since tuesday, coming up with different concerns but they always tell me it will be ok and my concerns will all be addressed prior/during the surgery. But you know what? My obgyn also told me that I'll be fine on long term birth control and side effects are rare but failed to ask about my family's history with blood clots and I developed a blood clot in my leg which was very serious and I was only 25 years old (and its only one of the examples). So all the traditional reassurance from medical professionals means very little to me...

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The risk is low and side effects are rare. But, anybody who tries to gloss it over and pretend that bad things don't happen is a lying sack!

Do you want to know the kind of doctor I like to talk to? It's the one who tells me like it is and doesn't try to feed me a line of crap, even if what he has to say isn't nice. I'd rather have a doctor who is a bit of an A-hole but tells the truth than a "nice guy" who tries to sugar coat everything.

Years ago, in "The Before-Time"... Before Casper's Girl-Human came along... I was married to somebody else.
She went to the OBGYN for her yearly "Special Girl Test." (If ya-know-what-I-mean... ;) )
Well her test did not come back "All Clear" and she went through the roof! It took me a week to get her calmed down!

Do you wanna' know how I did it? I called the doctor and asked him to write me a permission slip to get into the medical library at the local hospital. You know. The library where only doctors and medical students are supposed to be allowed in. (Or if somebody who is a doctor says "okay.")

I spent an entire Saturday, sitting in a quiet corner of that library, reading every medical textbook in the place. By the time I left there, I felt like the world's expert on epithelial neoplasia! ;) I made photocopies of a few pages that I thought were relevant and took them home for her to read and I explained them to her. After some explaining, she had calmed down and was able to go through the simple office procedure to handle the problem, once and for all.

Bottom line: Knowledge is power! :)

Maybe you could ask your vet for some books to read or, if there is a veterinary medical library somewhere nearby, get permission to go there. :)

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anxiety took over. I'm delaying the dental surgery until it's a bit warmer and Musiaka's ALP improves to be 100% sure his liver will handle this

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, so my plan is the following - give Musiaka a round of liver support supplement and then go in and check his ALP, if it's back to normal, then I will book the dental surgery again. Maybe it will be safer with his liver functioning as good as possible... Also, will be using Stomodine, an antiseptic gum paste twice a day until then

His recent ALP was 138, normal range 14-111.