Loose poop in new kitten

MLS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, we got our kitten on Friday. He's 7 weeks and we had to get him a little earlier than planned due to family health issues at his mother home.
He pooped on Friday in the litter box and it was loose and smelly. He also did a loose poo today. Didn't smell as bad fortunately.
I've been giving him the same wet and dry food that he was weaned on to, but have a better quality wet food in the cupboard that I was going to switch him to gradually. However my sister told me to just stop the current stuff as there is something not agreeing with his tummy and put him on the new food tomorrow. However I'm worried this will make his poop worse and maybe I should keep him on what he's used to.
I'm not sure what to do for the best?
Thank you

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be stress of being in a new environment. Keep feeding him what he was eating prior to coming to your house since you know he wasn't having issues on it before coming to you. Get him to the vet for a meet and greet and check up. He could have parasites, which is very common in new kitties. You can also add probiotics to his wet food with a bit of water added. We give our kitty with a sensitive tummy s. boullardi to help keep his poops firm. You can also try diffusing Comfort Zone or Feliway diffusers to help him de-stress.

My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be the food or he may simply need worming. I say switch him to the better food AND go ahead and get him wormed. Also take a stool sample to the vet. Parasites are different from worms but can cause loose, smelly stools, yet are easily treated with proper meds like fenbandazole or metronidazole. Once he’s on quality food and has been treated for both worms and parasites, he should be good to go!

And what a cutie he is! I love orange kitties. They have wonderfully sweet personalities! Keep us posted! :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You already have great suggestions! I would add probiotics to his food and also thin it out with a 50/50 mix of unflavored Pedialyte and water and feed small amounts but more frequently. Or, instead of rice water, you can add boiled white rice water (boiled for about an hour works great - it gets thickened into a soup) as does rice baby food. You can also add a tiny bit of plain canned pumpkin to his meal - the daily total shouldn't be more than 1/4 teaspoon.