Looking to add food to TD kibble only diet - advice please

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry about the long story but here we go....  I have a 2 1/2 yr old male neuter cat called Mouse. He's well acquainted with our vet and appears to be in good health, still likes to play lots, and likes his food and water.   BUT - he has been on a strict diet of TD kibble since he was about 9 months due to severe gum inflammation and stomatitis which started when teething. He was really sick with raw gums, tonsillitis, and lesions on his tongue that have left scarring.  At this point his teeth are in very good condition - and sharp!

Before his oral problems started he was on a combination of half Iams kitten kibble (he was intolerant to Royal Canin) and half adult pate food he'd had since he was with his mum alternated with Iams wet kitten food with a view to transitioning on to it.

Although anxious about starting him on the strict TD kibble diet I was assured by the vet that this was best for him and not to be concerned about his age or that he'd be on a dry only diet. He's always been good at drinking water and consumes at least 75 ml a day from his bowl plus what ever he gets from dripping taps I put on from time to time. He also gets some from a hand held syringe for treats. Plenty evidence of fluids in his litter!  He's lean as a result of his diet (and very bouncy) and has a fabulous RB coat but - the more I read the more I worry about the low protein / high carbs of his kibble and the long term effects of a dry diet. I've been really strict with the TD diet and the only other food he gets is a daily 'ration' of freeze dried pure white fish snacks that he loves - I hoped these would slightly up his protein intake.  My vet still says the TD is best for him but I'd like to try improving his nutrition if I can. I know that if I give him wet food for even a day his teeth are instantly yellowed with plaque and the areas of red gum increase quickly: I gave him wet food once in the last year as ran out of his biscuits for 24 hours until vet got them in stock and the effect was almost instant despite tooth brushing.

I brush his teeth with an enzyme paste once a day  AM and give him a top up from licking the finger brush in the evening. The combination of this plus the TD biscuits keeps his teeth clear with a fine red edge around varying little bits of his gums. 

To complicate the picture, he's always had a bit of a funny nose blowing thing and would occasionally cough which I thought he was doing if his mouth was a bit more sore. However, he's had 3 episodes of runny eyes in the past 16 months and the vet recently concluded that all the presenting symptoms are FHV 1.  He hasn't had any infections in his eyes and no sinus/nasal problems to date but it does all make sense the more I learn.  (And yes, he's had loads of blood tests run). He seems to have quite frequent mild symptoms plus more severe symptoms every 3 or 4 months. I talked to the vet about L Lysene but he thought it might distress my boy as he has quite a lot of other medications over the year due to managing the mouth and eye issues. He said he does use it but as' it's not proven to have an effect' thought it would be better to hold back on this occasion.  I'm seeing information on this site indicating there is a form that can be given like treat so I'm still looking in to this as feel his immune system does need support.

I don't want to go raw out of concern for his immune system which I don't think is that great coupled with living in an inner city area where access to really fresh poultry / meat would be hard. Vet would also not be keen and I don't want to go TOO far with them as I am otherwise very happy with their care.

Wondering whether it would be beneficial to add in a small portion of high protein wet food each day, or perhaps try poached chicken or turkey - either shredded or liquidized like a pate?  He loves his TD kibble but doesn't eat much of his food from the bowl: he likes it thrown so he can chase it around first :)  Not an option with pate 
 but he might eat a bit if it's put down like a treat.  I know he'll still eat tiny portions of wet food as I fed him a sliver of tuna in spring water from a tin I had the other day. His favourite does seem to be fish but I know it's not good to give them too much fish due to toxins.  I think his sense of smell might not be great, again due to the FHV 1 so tends to go for strong smelling food that's 'on the move' so easier to find.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Exactly!

With such an extreme case of stomatitis, and your description of what problems he's had with canned food, I think his day-to-day quality of life is more important, especially as you're confident he's getting enough moisture.

I realize his immune system is compromised, and I realize the typical advice is not to provide raw food to immune-compromised cats. But that makes no sense to me - it is our immune compromised cats that need the healthier diet. I'm not pushing raw on you, please don't misunderstand. But I have an FIV+ cat, a cat with an autoimmune disease that causes anemia, and started on raw when one of my cats was in chemotherapy - and they're all doing GREAT on the raw diet. I've been feeding it for 1.5 years, and no one has had a problem with any food-borne illness.

SO... all of that said, it is safe to feed up to 15% of his diet unbalanced. So healthy "treats" may be of benefit to him. I would consider giving him some chicken gizzards to chomp on several times a week. :nod: If you're worried about the raw thing, sear the outside of them prior to feeding them to him.

But there's no reason not to give him some chicken or turkey or pork or beef - whatever he likes. Again, if feeding it raw makes you nervous, sear the outside before giving it to him.

Just make sure to limit such things to 15% or less of his total diet.

I know I sound like a broken record with the probiotic thing, but the GI system accounts for 70% of the immune system. Especially with autoimmune disorders, like stomatitis, I think gut health is even more important. I'd look for a good human probiotic supplement with at least acidophilus and bifidus strains in it, and I'd give him 5 billion to 10 billion CFU daily. (My holistic vet had us give our FIV+ boy 10 billion CFU two times a day for quite a long time. He's on 15 billion CFU now, as are all the other kitties). Another supplement to consider is lactoferrin, which your vet can quickly look up - it has shown great effectiveness in stomatits cases. I give two of my cats 250mg of bovine lactoferrin daily to help improve their immune systems. In combination with probiotics, it's a very powerful immune regulator. :nod:

...but it sounds like unprocessed, natural meats are going to be better for him, given his response to canned foods.

Think about how much better we feel when we eat some fresh fruits and veggies, not just cereal. :) It's the same for our cats - only their equivalent of fresh fruits & veggies is fresh meat. :rub:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
L-lysine doesn't do anything for the immune system. It simply replaces an amino acid that the FHV-1 virus needs to replicate. This reduces the amount of viruses present and thus reduces the symptoms, sneezing, watery eyes and frequent URI flare-ups.

There are several forms of L-lysine; treats, paste, pills that you have to crush, and the pure powder (the NOW brand is what I use).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks everyone. Really helpful. I will see if I can find a no sugars human pro-biotic to give him from his syringe and see if he thinks it's a treat. Then I'll look up the different forms of L lysine mentioned and ask the vet about it again when Mouse has his next outbreak (hopefully not too soon). Will also discuss the probiotics with him to see if they'll prescribe.

I feel much more confident adding in a little meat now, very happy. I'll check out if I can find gizzards anywhere as he usually likes chewing, and a little bit of turkey to try. Percentages info excellent! Looking forward to the mess (NOT) coz he won't eat over a bowl  
 !  I will seer stuff though, sorry but I am a bit nervous about going raw. I know there's a lot of positive experience here on the site but not for me yet. Baby steps.

I'd like to reassure everyone that Mouse's stomatisis responded well to treatment by the time he was a year old
, and since then the gingivitis has been well controlled through the diet and tooth brushing - hence anxieties about change. I don't think he's in a lot of oral pain now but he always has a little patch of red somewhere on his gums and I take extra care if it gets larger or more angry looking. He now gets more problems with the runny eyes and that's what led to the change in diagnosis. He's usually a high play cat and I know when he has his quiet days he's feeling a bit under the weather and letting himself heal.  While I'd rather he didn't have FHV, one benefit is that the vets will now not prescribe antibiotics at first symptoms e.g. for the runny eyes: fewer antibiotics has to be good!  I'm keeping an eye on the sneezing/nasal symptoms and thankfully they haven't needed any treatment to date. We have a good relationship with our vets who like to take a low tech/low invasive approach if they can, and they love Mouse which is always a good start.   Love vets who love cats - they service our local cat shelter.

I'll let you know how it goes. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I had a sachet of Purina chicken food in the cupboard which I'd kept in case his mouth got sore so have been giving him s bit of that each morning for the past 3 days. He LOVES that but it will be finished tomorrow morning so we'll see how he responds to some good home cooked protein without any nasty additives in on Thursday. 
   I've got a nice fresh chicken leg waiting in the fridge...... 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:cross: he likes plain cooked chicken... and hope the wet food hasn't triggered any inflammation in his mouth!

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks.  I'll be glad to finish the sachet to be honest. He obviously loves the junk which makes me feel mean about stopping it. I mean at least other than water meat is the next listed ingredient - but it's not enough to make a difference to protein intake and I don't like the thought of all the other rubbish in it.  He has got a bit more inflammation around his canines today but it's not a bright angry red. He's had a couple of days where he's been less keen on his toothpaste (he'd rather get the wet food treat again) and that won't have helped matters. I'm hoping it all settles after tomorrow, once we get in to 'proper' food treats at breakfast time.  I think he will like it as seems to like most things - at least in small quantities.

Is it best to chop / pull the cooked chicken in to small pieces or puree it?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think how to feed it to him depends on him. When I first used cooked chicken, I just pulled it apart into shreds and added some of the broth that results when it's cooked, and that worked. :)

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's safe to say Mouse is as interested in eating cooked chicken (however I present it) as I am in cat biscuits....  Looks like I'm on chicken broth for tea tonight. 

I don't think there's much benefit in putting down commercially prepared wet food as he's so good at drinking water anyway: it's the protein I want to up as much as I can.   Thinking I might try little bits of white fish as I know he loves the freeze dried fish snacks (and tuna in water from the bit he stole the other day). Down side here is I HATE the smell of fish and will not be eating any of it if he still turns his nose up at my cooking!  My other thought is to try little bits of beef steak - unlike the poultry I might be able to get that fresh enough for raw feeding and he does seem to show more interest in any meat or poultry before it's cooked.   This cat is way better fed than I am.  
 Oh, and no gizzards around here unless it's Christmas apparently.  

Oh, and his gums have settled down fine thanks.  I think it was the day he wasn't keen on his teeth brushing rather than the food treat.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FYI, I did read just yesterday about two methods to prevent bacteria on meat using a rinse. :nod: The health organizations agree that the risk of bacteria is on the outside of the food (unless you're using ground food, when it could have been mixed). The suggestion was to add a few drops of HUMAN GRADE hydrogen peroxide to a large bowl of water, and soak the piece of meat for a few minutes, then rinse prior to preparing. The alternative is to use 1/2 a teaspoon of Grapefruit Seed Extract in the water. :nod:

I don't know where you'd purchase food grade hydrogen peroxide in the UK. I have to order it online here in the US (I never realized it could be used to help prevent bacteria on the outside of meat - I used to use it (appropriately diluted) in the cat's water for their teeth). But Grapefruit Seed Extract you should be able to find fairly easily, as it's a common supplement to help prevent colds and such. I'm thinking just about any health food store, at least, should carry it. If you're interested, you might want to call around.

Here's the link. http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/knowledgebase/knowledgebasedetail.aspx?articleid=5 (FYI, pork in the U.S. and U.K. is fine - both places have been declared Trich-free for something like over a decade now. Maybe longer in the UK). Anyway, the info is in the paragraph just before the section titled, "Dehydrated and Freeze-Dried Alternatives."

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you. I don't like the idea of hydrogen peroxide but there are plenty of good chemists and health food stores here so should have luck with the grapefruit seed extract!  I just tried him with a defrosted cooked king prawn coz he's always been interested in fish, He turned his nose up and walked away licking his paws like I'd contaminated him with the prawn juice! He is one spoiled cat.  
  Looks like my brother will get a nice snack the next time he comes round. 

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the difference between human grade hydrogen peroxide vs the one we see in stores?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Human Grade can be ingested (if it's a 3% solution. It is frequently sold as a 35% solution and MUST be diluted down). The stuff sold at the pharmacy ("pharmaceutical grade") has chemical stabilizers in it.

maple syrup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a note on GSE.  It is very bitter! I don't know if soaking a piece of meat would leave it pallatable for a cat.  We used to use it to wash fruit which was fine as long as it had a skin and was well rinsed.  Salt water is also an alternative for soaking. (We lived in India for a few years so know all the ropes).

As for fish.  The best options  would be small fish.  The bigger the fish the longer they live and the more toxins they eat.  Things like herring, sardines, smelts are a great option for kitty.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, we've got a fishmonger up the road so I'll go in and have a chat with them. I'm sure they'll have something along those lines. I hate the smell of fish but I suspect Mouse will like it...

I did wonder if there was any residual flavour from soaking the meat. Thanks.

maple syrup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Smelts are great because they are really tiny.  They don't need to be gutted, and they are usually caught during spawning season so they will have eggs or Sperm inside... extra treats.  Kitty can eat the whole thing.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Mouse was a bit quiet yesterday and I thought maybe it was me putting down different bits of food next to his usual bowl but he's slept most of today and now his eye's running:  think he's been trying to fight off the nasty virus again (but not managed).  Going to give the protein food changes a rest for a few days and let him settle. I'll speak to the vet as soon as they're open on Monday and see if they think I should try L Lysine or Famciclovir this time.  Will restart trying to up the protein using wet food treats once he picks up.  I'll talk to the vet about what I'm planning and which supplements/pro-biotics I'm looking to introduce and see if they have a view of how it all fits in. I'll also ask if they're able to prescribe for anything other than the Famciclovir that might be covered by my insurance.  Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how we get on.