Looking into getting a 3rd cat, not sure if I should get a male or female

Bluebell17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am thinking about adding a 3rd cat to my furry family. I currently have a male Himalayan and a female Korat. They have a very bonded relationship and I am afraid if I bring a third cat into the household it may ruin the close bond they've established. They are both fixed, my female is very dominant and can become jealous at times, and my male is very sweet & actually quite friendly towards other animals.
I am wondering if it would be best to bring in male or female cat, or if I should not bring in a 3rd cat at all, they are very attached to eachother and I would hate to see that ruined.

Has anyone been in a similar situation or successfully introduced a 3rd cat to a closely bonded male/female pair?

Thank you

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are they? That has a very strong impact on how things are likely to go.

Also, why do you think the male is friendly with other animals? What is your evidence, and importantly, when is the evidence from?

Many people on here will express opinions on gender, but if you really try to science it and look for expert evidence on the web and especially for studies, I think you will find that there is no reliable evidence that timely spayed/neutered animals are meaningfully different behavior wise.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure I'd recommend adding a 3rd cat, unless there aren't a lot of options, like if you find a stray who needs a home. But I wouldn't recommend getting a 3rd cat on purpose.

If you do, a young male would probably be best, given your particular mix. But the individual cat's personality matters more than their sex.