Looking For Wet Food...

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
...For the Million Dollar Baby.
I'm looking for a wet food for Montgomery. His naturopath says no vegetables and especially no tapioca. In addition, he can't eat turkey at all, and he doesn't metabolize fat well. He'd like a nice chicken, preferably a pate, although he is flexible when it comes to texture. He can stomach some pork. Currently, he's on Science Diet Light and Purina OM, but the fibre may be irritating his intestine. His intestine was improperly installed. It likes to hoard bacteria. He is not to eat anything raw. He has exocrine pancreatic insufficiency and inflammatory bowel disease in addition to the small intestinal disbyosis.
We've tried Tiki Cat, but the sunflower oil as ingredient number three was too much for him and he lost control of his bowels. We never got past more than half a teaspoonful added to his regular food. He's recovering from that and is doing much better.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Please spay and neuter your barn cats.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried using this chart to find suitable foods?

Rawz canned food might be suitable if you can find it in Canada. Where to Buy | RAWZ

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Fancy Feast an option by any chance? This is the ingredient list for Chicken Pate.

Chicken, Poultry Broth, Liver, Meat By-Products, Fish, Artificial And Natural Flavors, Tricalcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Added Color, Salt, Minerals [Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodide], Taurine, Vitamins [Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Vitamin A Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Biotin (Vitamin B-7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Vitamin D-3 Supplement], Sodium Nitrite (To Promote Color Retention). D-6672.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is Fancy Feast an option by any chance? This is the ingredient list for Chicken Pate.

Chicken, Poultry Broth, Liver, Meat By-Products, Fish, Artificial And Natural Flavors, Tricalcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Added Color, Salt, Minerals [Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodide], Taurine, Vitamins [Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Vitamin A Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Biotin (Vitamin B-7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Vitamin D-3 Supplement], Sodium Nitrite (To Promote Color Retention). D-6672.
No, it isn't reliable enough. Poultry Broth and Meat By-Products could vary. I need to know exactly what protein he's getting. His turkey sensitivity is something awful. The last time he got into turkey wet food, he had yellow diarrhea and needed fluids at the veterinarian. I was warned against Fancy Feast, Friskies, etc.. a long time ago. My other cats think Fancy Feast is just lovely, though.

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about it. I'd have to go back and talk to his naturopath about that one. His regular vet would murder me.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it isn't reliable enough. Poultry Broth and Meat By-Products could vary. I need to know exactly what protein he's getting. His turkey sensitivity is something awful. The last time he got into turkey wet food, he had yellow diarrhea and needed fluids at the veterinarian. I was warned against Fancy Feast, Friskies, etc.. a long time ago. My other cats think Fancy Feast is just lovely, though.
Makes sense. I had a cat (RIP Swanie, I miss you) who couldn't eat turkey (Vomited/diarrhea), but other fancy feast varieties didn't bother him. He had a lot of medical issues. The only reason I mentioned fancy feast was my vet told me it was a prefectly good food to feed my cat Austin when he was refusing to eat the vet diet SO food.

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have any issue with Fancy Feast with my other cats. They're all healthy and happy eating a wide variety of foods, and they quite enjoy Fancy Feast. Montgomery's digestion is an entity unto itself. I've never seen anything like it. I'd give him KMR in his bottle when he was a baby and it would come out of him looking like cottage cheese. When we weaned him, there were times when I fed him something and it would come out looking exactly as it had before he ate it. Once we got the EPI under control and appeased his pancreas, there was still the SID and the IBD to deal with. So, he eats the Science Diet and the Purina right now and his digestion is okay. I don't think we'll ever see normal digestion from him, but I think we can do better, and so does his naturopath.
Sometimes I think I'm looking for a food that doesn't exist. He's good with the chicken/pork blend of the Royal Canin and the Science Diet, so that would be okay, but it needs to be 1-2% fat, with any oil quite far down the list, and no vegetables or tapioca.
For the first time, I really am considering making it, but I need to do a lot of research first.

MindyStClairesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not all FF is the same. Only Classic Pates are above-average (weirdly) and it is actually pretty hard to find other varieties -- even ones a bit pricier -- with similarly inoffensive ingredients! It has lower carbs, for example, than do most varieties of Weruva. I try to steer clear of too much fish (for contamination reasons), but the Weruva fish-based foods are really good numbers-wise. My cats are HELLA PICKY, so we do FF Classic Pates (non-fish) and Weruva (occasionally, but they prefer the tuna-based packets). I have been REALLY disappointed with even expensive canned foods -- either because their ingredients are inappropriate or because my cats hate them (they don't like "gamey" flavors like Rabbit, Venison, or Lamb).

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There's no accounting for taste, as far as cats are concerned, but then, I don't think they're any more particular than we are, they just don't speak English.

kazick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, have you tried chicken pate from Blue Buffalo or Whole Earth for Montgomery? You can take a look a look at ingredients below and see if it suits well for your little boy. There's no meat by-products or fillers. And no sunflower oil in their ingredients. The rest of the ingredients you can check with the naturopath if they can go down well for Montgomery. Hope this helps and your little kitty get better soon :)

Blue Buffalo True Solutions Blissful Belly Digestive Care
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Potatoes, Chicken Liver, Whitefish, Potato Starch, Potato Protein, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Brown Rice, Flaxseed, Carrageenan, Taurine, Fructooligosaccharide, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Carrots, Apples, Peas, DL-Methionine, Salt, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Calcium Carbonate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Niacin Supplement (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin (Vitamin B7), Potassium Iodide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9).

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Grain-Free
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Potatoes, Natural Flavor, Guar Gum, Flaxseed, Carrageenan, Cassia Gum, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Salt, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Niacin Supplement (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin (Vitamin B7), Potassium Iodide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9).

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Mature Chicken Recipe Grain-Free
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Potatoes, Pea Flour, Natural Flavor, Pea Fiber, Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Fish Oil, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Carrageenan, Cassia Gum, Salt, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin E Supplement, Mixed Tocopherols, L-Carnitine, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Niacin Supplement (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin (Vitamin B7), Potassium Iodide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols.

Dr. Elsey's cleanprotein Chicken Formula Grain-Free
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Dried Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Salmon Oil, Agar-Agar, Tricalcium Phosphate, Barley Grass, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Taurine, Turmeric, Dried New Zealand Green Mussels, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Magnesium Proteinate, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Folic Acid.

Whole Earth Farms Grain-Free Real Healthy Kitten Recipe
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Natural Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Calcium Carbonate, Organic Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Sodium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Salmon Oil, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Agar-Agar, Ground Flaxseed, Locust Bean Gum, Xanthan Gum, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K), Vitamin D3 Supplement), Minerals (Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Sodium Selenite, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, Potassium Iodide).

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions. The salmon oil is too high up on the list on the Dr. Elsey's. I've never heard of Whole Earth Farms before, but I'll look into it. Blue Buffalo isn't something I feed my cats.

scritch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you talked to a vet? Could you be referred to a veterinary nutritionist? If your pet has major restrictions, talking to a board certified nutritionist is ideal.

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you talked to a vet? Could you be referred to a veterinary nutritionist? If your pet has major restrictions, talking to a board certified nutritionist is ideal.
Yes, his veterinarian did consult a nutritionist and we were told to put him on Hill's d/d. We put a pinch in his dish and he was shortly violently ill. He never did develop any sort of tolerance to it.
His veterinarian only sees Hill's, Purina, Royal Canin, Iams and inexplicably, Eukanuba, which I didn't think still existed. I would never in a thousand years feed anyone Iams or Eukanuba. Might as well feed Friskies. As for the first three, the definition of insanity is repeating the same action and expecting different results. I'm going with the naturopath's recommendations.

scritch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you inform the vet that he became ill? As a vet, I would've wanted to reconsult with the nutritionist or refer directly.

To be clear, I'm not saying don't use the naturopath, you do you. More so it's that a referral to a qualified nutritionist would be another good thing to have in your pocket, and they'd probably be better suited to find (or create) a suitable diet that meets what you're trying to find.

That's just how I would personally go about it, but obviously if you don't trust your vet on this issue, my suggestion may not be a good option for you. I hope you do find a diet that works for your kitty!

(Also for Eukanuba and Iams, those brands meet guidelines as outlined by WSAVA, which is the bare minimum for science based diets; it doesn't means they're the top, but they meet a bare minimum that many commercial diets don't, and so are generally held in higher regard than brands that don't meet those bare minimums. I don't know much about Eukanuba or Iams beyond that, they're not very common where I live, but that may clarify your vet's stance a bit)

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did, when I returned the food. I think she just gave up at that point. I just ordered Alnutrin and am going to make is food and see if that works better, since I can control the ingredients. Also, I hopefully won't face the ongoing supply chain issues. I can comply with the naturopath, but also tailor it to Montgomery's individual needs, by keeping the fat low and the recipe simple.
He really is my Million Dollar Baby. If we printed his vet file it would likely be several inches thick at this point. I started him on KMR as he was five days old when I got him. He pooped cottage cheese. When he hit three weeks old, the veterinarian said wean him. At this point, the KMR also contained bovine colostrum, rice pablum, and Heinz strained chicken. We weaned him onto Royal Canin Baby Cat. It came out looking as it went in. He never adjusted. We tried adding FortiFlora. He had black, watery diarrhea. We changed him to Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck. Slightly better, not good enough. She suggested we cook for him a few days. He wouldn't eat it. She said try fish. He spat it back in my face. Back to the Duck and Pea. Did that for a few months while we tried metronidazole. He was wormed for everything possible. She put him on z/d. He had clear, foul-smelling diarrhea and almost died. Put him on Royal Canin Spayed/Neutered Kitten. Better. Still no bowel control, but the stool formed a bit. In the mean-time, we've seen several other veterinarians who scratched their heads and shrugged. His veterinarian had an accident and went on maternity leave. New vet buys the clinic. Diagnoses him with EPI. On enzymes. After a rocky start, we're doing well on the enzymes but still looking for a food. At this point she asks us to list the foods he's eaten and then consults a nutritionist. Hill's d/d. You know what happened. Back to the Spayed/Neutered. Scamdemic hits, Pank-Aid unavailable, switch to Enzyme Diane. Much improved, we won't go back. Made an appointment with the naturopath but couldn't get in for four months because he's in high demand. Finally get in. Take his advice and ditch the kibble. Cat is leaps and bounds better. He gave us parameters, we're going to follow them and see if we can get him even better.
That's the Reader's Digest version of Montgomery's nutritional history. I excluded the things he stole off the other cats that made him sick because we wouldn't have given him that in the first place. I will say, its a good thing he's so used to being handled because I had to sit there and pick cheese out of his tongue barbs at one point so that he wouldn't swallow it.
Currently, he eats six meals a day, Hill's Science Diet Light topped with Purina O/M. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane before each meal, one size four capsule of tylan three times a day (the goal is to get off of this), and .5ml of Ovol twice a day (we can almost get off this now).