Looking For Toys With Certain Conditions

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to tell you this, @Alice, but I know of nothing that will make a cat run around the way you want without being interactive. May I ask why you're avoiding interactive toys? Cats need interactive play, not just entertaining themselves constantly. Interactive play is a way to bond with your cat, not just exercise, and interactive toys will keep a cat's attention better than solitary play, because when attention begins to lag the human can vary the movement.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Margret Margret , Because I'm not actually interested in cats, nothing to gain from it, waste of time. I only picked her up because she was too small to be alone in a garbage, can't entrust a kitten to humans. Tried to find her mother and failed.
I've seen kids and their elder brother take away a kitten from its mother, even though she followed them, they didn't take her or return her baby. What do you think happened next? Personally I think the parents refused to keep it and the kitten is now in the street alone. I keep seeing her mother wandering nearby without the kitten.
I don't think they "need" interactive play because they are solitary creatures to begin with.

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are less solitary than you might think.
  1. Cats have been bred to live in houses, with humans, and to bond with humans.
  2. Feral cats band together in colonies ("clowders"). The females will take turns babysitting the kittens so that all the mothers get time to hunt.
  3. Cats in multi-cat households regularly groom each other. In fact, cats in a home that has a dog will groom the dog! They may even tolerate being slobbered on by the dog.
Do you have any idea how old this kitten is? What have you been feeding it? Has it been gaining weight okay? I ask because hand-raising very young kittens takes a lot of work: giving them a bottle every few hours, keeping them warm, stimulating (and cleaning up after) elimination. I don't believe it can be done without some kind of bonding happening; this kitten probably thinks of you as "Mom."

I'm very glad you rescued this little one, and I thank you for it. I agree that the prospects for the kitten you saw stolen from its mother are not good. But kittens need more than veterinary care, food, water, and toys. They also need love.

Margret

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Because I'm not actually interested in cats, nothing to gain from it, waste of time.
Oh, dear. Most of us here find cats to be fascinating creatures, feel that our lives are enriched immeasurably by our relationship with them and find that interacting with them is rewarding and our time together invaluable. It's a bit of a shocker to see you come right out and say you feel exactly the opposite but I'm glad you're honest about it. It makes it a bit easier to know how to help. And bless you for looking out for this little motherless mite, it's a compassionate thing that you're doing.

Since you feel this way, you are perfectly justified in looking for a rescue group or someone who genuinely loves cats to take in the kitten. You've rescued the kitten and it sounds like you've saved its life. Perhaps now the best use of your time is looking for a home where the kitten can be given the love and attention on which it will thrive. You're right that some cats are solitary in nature but many of us here can speak to the fact that cats can also be the opposite - eager for companionship, generous with their affection for their humans and thriving when that affection is reciprocated. Some even suffer from separation anxiety when their human isn't present.

Margret Margret has addressed a lot of the points I was going to bring up about cats' "solitary" natures and the specific needs that young kittens have, especially young orphaned kittens. Check out the Pregnant Cats and Kittens forum for information and help with this. There is a post pinned at the top with a list of articles that should help a lot.

If you decide to keep the kitten, or are unable to find a good home or rescue group to take it in, I hope you'll find your feelings towards this innocent kitten warm up. It does happen! :catman:

About your initial request for a toy, this toy by SmartyKat might meet your requirements. My cats both love it and it has a timer so you turn it on and let your kitten play with it without having to remember to shut it off.

81wftsNrE5L._SL1500_.jpg

Check out these articles for some more information on cat care:

How Much Time Does It Take To Care For A Cat?

First-time Cat Owner's Guide

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am being sincere when I say this.. please, hear me out...

Thank you for rescuing this baby; however, kittens and cats all love to interact with their
"person".. Yes, you are this baby's PERSON..
She is going to love to be around you, play with you, follow you around, cuddle, purr, and just plain giving you unconditional love..

If you honestly feel, you are not "up to" the commitment; please find a Rescue Group, a NO KILL shelter, or even give her to one of your friends--who loves kitties..

I really do hope you do not ignore this little one.. If you do, she will be so sad, and perhaps even act out.. please try some interaction with her..

And, yes, I agree with Margret Margret and margd margd

What type of food are you feeding? how much? how often? litter box? scooping at least daily? Yes, a lot of work, but all of us here, on this site, love our kitties to death and back.. We honestly feel the extra work we do; is increased hundred-fold, with the unconditional love, we get in return..

WE are all here to help you...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I appreciate your effort but I think love is pointless/obstacle and definitely not worth the effort, money, and time that could've been spent on productive or enjoyable things(hobbies). The cat will probably die before me and I might become destroyed completely. All negatives, nothing good.
I say cats are naturally solitary creatures because unlike lions, adult cats almost never group or help each other, and instead, they fight!.
They separate from their mother after ~8 weeks, cats know they're capable of surviving alone, hence "solitary". So basically, human interfere is not needed. even if they showed love and appreciation.
All this to say: cats don't "need" interactive play, they "play" to burn energy, exercise - outside cats stay fit by looking for food, most likely.
I believe everything is created for a purpose, animals help keeping nature balanced, cats role is to kill rats in streets and protect humans from diseases. - Can be pets, too. if you have a farm or just you're the type to release stress by "cuteness"
What type of food are you feeding? how much? how often? litter box? scooping at least daily?
Whiskas wet food, total 300g 3 times a day. or 4 if seemed hungry. I know it's very little but it's the first time I get her wet food and want to learn on my own. It's expensive, $64(30 cans, if followed instructions) a month is x3 times the price of dry food! Scooping daily more than twice. But only use it for peeing, pooping outside :(
margd margd Thanks.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
If you honestly feel this way, can you please release your cat to a Rescue Group, or a
NO-KILL Shelter; so she may find a proper home, with love....

If you tell us where you are located, then we can help you find a local rescue group.

It is not fair to this cat, to have you as an owner..

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say cats are naturally solitary creatures because unlike lions, adult cats almost never group or help each other, and instead, they fight!
No, tom cats will fight one another for females, but, as I've already said:
Feral cats band together in colonies ("clowders"). The females will take turns babysitting the kittens so that all the mothers get time to hunt.
Cats are not "solitary creatures."

Please re-home this kitten. It deserves to be loved.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
@alice, while the things you mentioned are to some extent true, there are a world of positives. Yes, you will probably outlive the kitten, were you to keep it, but that kitten is capable of giving you much love and joy. I would caution you about a thing that is oh, so, true. To protect yourself from the pain of losing a loved one (no matter how many legs might be involved) means to wall yourself off from the joy of loving and being loved. You cannot do the one without also doing the other.

Feral kitten do NOT separate from their mothers after eight weeks. The two that I managed to gentle and get into homes this last year were with their mother until 6-8 months of age. She was no longer nursing them, but they stayed with her, learning, and the bond between the three of them was very obvious. There are several bonded hunting pairs that I watch every night. Your premise is false, although it does follow general wisdom, passed on by those who do not truly understand cat social structures.

This kitten is bonding with you. If you do not feel able to bond with it, then the most kind, humane thing you can do is find a no-kill shelter or rescue group and surrender the kitten. They will not judge you for surrendering, but thank you for saving.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
A bit disappointed, non of the suggested can made the cat run or move a lot like using a laser.

And the Butterfly toy is 13.3 lbs. Sorry for being so demanding. :frustrated:
If you teach the cat to fetch, you can toss a toy and the cat will run after it and bring it back to you.