Looking For Toys With Certain Conditions

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm planning to order a couple of toys from Amazon at once, but afraid my cat get bored of them so easily and regret it, may I have your recommendations?

The conditions are:
1. No catnip.
2. Doesn't take much space.
3. Doesn't require human attention or control.
4. Lighter than 3 lbs.
5. Keeps the cat fit and active; running or move a lot.
6- Less than $100.

Thanks in advance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, no playing with food.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just got a Hexbug Nano robotic cat toy, however be aware this doesn't work on carpet.
You can also pick up platter-style chase-it toys, kickaroos, real fur mice, some of these are stuffed with material some are flat/no stuffing.
If you don't already have these, order a scratcher, and a cat tree - not all trees are expensive and provide for jumping and climbing.
Have fun!

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For ours, new toys, by themselves, are great fun the 1st evening. Then the new is worn off and they could care less.
Every now and then we hit a home run. Usually something fuzzy/furry/fluffy. BUT, those tend to get shredded quickly and have to be taken away for fear of ingesting something that might get stuck.
Toys that require you? Those seem to work better, longer.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Da Bird is fantastic for all cats.
But Da Bird requires human interaction.

No matter what you order, it's the box and packing material that will be the biggest hit with your cat; you know that, don't you?

Crinkle balls are always a big hit, as well as being a good deal sturdier than they look. Get the larger ones; the little-bitty ones get lost under the sofa too easily.

Balls with bells inside are fun, but when you step on them they break, not to mention that an unwary human getting up to use the toilet in the middle of the night could slip and fall if one has been left in the path.

Anything the right size for the cat to hug and wrestle with and rabbit kick is likely to be a hit; basically we're talking sturdy stuffed toys for cats.

Many cats love cat tunnels.

I'd suggest a Ripple Rug, but I suspect it would take up too much room.

Margret

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No matter what you order, it's the box and packing material that will be the biggest hit with your cat; you know that, don't you?

:yeah:

You don't need to spend money on toys. A simple cardboard box or a paper bag with the handles removed are great cat toys :agree: Even an empty toilet paper tube makes a great toy. My previous cat loved an old prescription medicine bottle that had a few coins inside to rattle around and, oddly, a knotted piece of leftover fabric. Simple is sometimes the best :)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And an empty paper towel tube is a good wrestling and rabbit-kicking toy. You can also use it interactively for "sword fighting" games with your cat. It won't last forever, but by the time it needs replacing you probably have another one available.

Margret

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
For under 100 dollars, you can get several toys. I can't think of anything besides a really questionable kickstarter that is more than about $50 that could be considered a dedicated cat toy ( now cat furnature... yeah that can get pricey fast, but cat toys not so much.)

Many non interactive toys are also interactive,and the combination is part of what helps make them so fun for cats. For example, the cat dancer compleat is fun for cats, but a lot of the fun is probably due to their associating it with the times you use a regular cat dancer to play.

In otherwords, toys will suppliment but not replace interactive play for your cat, just in case you were expecting them to do otherwise.

The Bergan Turbo Scratcher. Freya loves hers, it is one of her favorite toys (and she has.. a lot) It is easy to find, costs around ten bucks, depending on where you buy it, and is almost entirely non-interctive ( though Freya does enjoy when I gently roll the ball in the track to her...) Some cats will even use the center part as a scratching post

Cat Dancer Compleat (sic).: The regular cat dancer is a great interactive toy, but the compleat basically lets you stick it onto something so that it is interactive. It isn't the most physical toy (you wont' get as much pouncing and running), but it is inexpensive and well received. To get the most out of it, you'll want to sometimes play with your cat using a cat dancer.

Kitty Boinks (basically a sort of plastic chinese finger trap or hollow woven plastic tube) are about a buck each and are fun for cats to chase and play with. They also are good for playing fetch with your cat.

-plastic golf balls or ping pong balls (also goo for interactive play, notice a theme yet? ;> )

Smarty Cat Feather Whirl is one of the few automatic toys that worked well for me and my cat ( i felt that the hexbug, popular though ti was) was too delicate for a proper cat toy)

You might also have some luck with food mazes or treat balls.

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks humans, today I'll be getting cat toys. Please add more of what you know, if possible.

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm planning to order a couple of toys from Amazon at once, but afraid my cat get bored of them so easily and regret it, may I have your recommendations?

The conditions are:
1. No catnip.
2. Doesn't take much space.
3. Doesn't require human attention or control.
4. Lighter than 3 lbs.
6- Less than $100.

Thanks in advance.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B4XGY1Z/?tag=&tag=thecatsite

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lily loves her squeaky mice. She tosses and chases them, chirping all along. Da Bird is fantastic for all cats.
Mice that does noise? What's the name, please?

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
^ Ignore this, Da Biird is the name, ok.

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A bit disappointed, non of the suggested can made the cat run or move a lot like using a laser.
And the Butterfly toy is 13.3 lbs. Sorry for being so demanding. :frustrated:

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Margret Margret , Was looking for this, thanks!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Sorry for being so demanding. :frustrated:

That's OK, Alice. We're here to help. :thumbsup: