Looking for Tips for Senile Dementia with starting to get blind .

lattiee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, our cat is 14 years old and will be 15 in April. He has shown forgetfulness of where his food is and meowing eagerly for it even tho his dish is full . We got him a brighter dish and one that wasn't deep including a plate next to the dish even when you put him near the dish or plate it's like he doesn't see it or just doesn't want to eat but then he goes meowing for til you walk to his food area.

He also been starting to use this one scratcher that he can walk thru and he totally goes using that to scratch his face continously.

He used to like getting held a lot but now he doesn't like it at all and wants done within like three seconds. He also developed a sudden aggression attacks which have happened twice which the second attack was worse than the first attack so it's like why the sudden attacking his owner type of behaviors when he used to be able to be a laid back cat who would just lay and give you kisses or rub your face.

Now all of a sudden he's leaping at you for no reason why and continue to be getting at you even after you try to back away. Since the vet had no clue and said it was due to dementia getting older and him losing sight so he could be reacting to sudden moves.

Now this cat who never hopped on our kitchen counter in the past is now jumping on there trying to dump things out thinking his cat food is in there or his cat treats are in there .
He is healthy no ear infections, no blood issues, no URI ,no uti and he isn't in pain as he runs , jumps and plays with his toys.

Many times I think of putting him down because of his sudden aggressive behavior but my son who is 15 yrs old and been with our cat since he was almost 2 years old so he's like no no no your not doing that and even our cat foster mom was like no no don't put him down we can take him if you can't handle him but of course that would be still a no no from my son as like I said he and our cat our way bonded .

On the other hand I thought our cat and me were totally bonded as I was the one feeding him, giving him water, cleaning his litter box, I was the one he spent nearly all his time with except when I Ieft our apartment to do stuff. He would lay on my bed and just sleep next to me. He would would be giving me tons of kisses on the face and love bites on the hands. I was the one buying him toys and getting his health taken care of.

Then just couple weeks ago he starts suddenly attacking me first attack no physical hurt but second attack it was a full face attack that for some reason just got him into being continue to go after you like he did which drew lots of blood from your face and that you barely could get him to stop attacking you or to get him away from you and our vet says it more likely he ended up having some dementia thing going on in his brain when other things are fine.

But now I have a problem because I had used our cat as a comforting emotional support animal which he was great for to help me with my anxiety and calm me down to relax me but now with him turning into attacking me has me scared out of my mind of him that I barely interact with him like I used to do.

It makes me feel bad as I loved having our cat hang out with me next to me on the bed or anywhere I was at but now I just think a third attack is coming around the corner and when the second attack was worse than the first one I don't want to chance a chance to see how bad a third attack would be which could wind up being even more worse than the second attack that I don't really want to be having it happen to me .

As I never thought he would turn into a cat that suddenly attack his owner so violently so now it's like I am so indifferent towards him now. He gets attention from my son when he gets home and sometimes I interact with our cat better when my son is home but still don't let him be in a closed room with me even my bedroom he used to be in all the time as that's where his attack me phase happened and I still couldn't understand why as he was sleeping and I was watching a movie. Then as I was getting up after the movie was over from the bed he woke up and went after me .

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s no fun seeing our kitties age...I wish there was a fountain of youth.

Has your boy been tested for hyperthyroidism? I ask as the meowing aimlessly and behavior changes are seen with hyperthyroid kitties.

Medical Disclaimer: My comments are not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinary advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding your cat’s medical condition. Never disregard your veterinarian’s treatment or delay obtaining help because of something I have posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lattiee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s no fun seeing our kitties age...I wish there was a fountain of youth.

Has your boy been tested for hyperthyroidism? I ask as the meowing aimlessly and behavior changes are seen with hyperthyroid kitties.

Medical Disclaimer: My comments are not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinary advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding your cat’s medical condition. Never disregard your veterinarian’s treatment or delay obtaining help because of something I have posted.
Yes he had a full blood panel work up and all was normal except for kidney levels being borderline.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. As long as EVERYTHING that can be checked health-wise has proven there are no issues, my other thought is about who all he is attacking - is it just you? Since the vet thinks his sight is diminished, do you make an effort to talk to him/say something before any sudden moves, or even to announce yourself so he is aware you are nearing him/moving about? Also, if you are the only one being attacked, have you changed soaps/lotions/colognes/ or have new medications you are taking, etc.? Any of those can have a negative affect on a cat, either making you smell differently to him or him not liking the scent.

Don't you think it is a bit odd that he is forgetting where his food is, but remembers the scratcher that he can walk through to scratch his face. Does he eat OK and normally once you direct him to his food? Have you made any food changes that perhaps he doesn't like as well - leading him to look for food on the counters? It is highly likely he is smelling food on the counter area, leading him to look for it.

And, about the scratcher - he is scent marking it by rubbing his face on it, and the scratching like that can have a soothing effect on a cat as well. So, he may be just soothing himself. I get the sense that your attitude has changed toward him because of his weird behavior, and he probably can sense that too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lattiee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. As long as EVERYTHING that can be checked health-wise has proven there are no issues, my other thought is about who all he is attacking - is it just you? Since the vet thinks his sight is diminished, do you make an effort to talk to him/say something before any sudden moves, or even to announce yourself so he is aware you are nearing him/moving about? Also, if you are the only one being attacked, have you changed soaps/lotions/colognes/ or have new medications you are taking, etc.? Any of those can have a negative affect on a cat, either making you smell differently to him or him not liking the scent.

Don't you think it is a bit odd that he is forgetting where his food is, but remembers the scratcher that he can walk through to scratch his face. Does he eat OK and normally once you direct him to his food? Have you made any food changes that perhaps he doesn't like as well - leading him to look for food on the counters? It is highly likely he is smelling food on the counter area, leading him to look for it.

And, about the scratcher - he is scent marking it by rubbing his face on it, and the scratching like that can have a soothing effect on a cat as well. So, he may be just soothing himself. I get the sense that your attitude has changed toward him because of his weird behavior, and he probably can sense that too.
Yep I find it odd that he has ended up getting obsessed with the scratcher and he would always head straight to it instead of going for food then I thought that was causing him not to focus on his food so I had to removed it to another room away from his food still went and found it but would be meowing for food. Then he would just stay in that room be away from family and start sleeping in that area more as that was before he started attacking me as I had my door open always then which he would spend most of all the days with me then when my son got home he would be choosing to be in a separate room at night.

Even when I direct him to his food he still can't seem to find it except when i lift up the plate/dish and put it down then he starts eating fine then he eats normally with no issues that I can tell but as soon as I walk away its like he stops eating but meows for me to head out to feed him go straight to the food stuff which was also before he was attacking me.

I did return his scratcher near the food before the attacking happened because I didn't want him to be that distant from family .

I always announced myself when I was coming towards him , to pet him, too feed him , and it's only me he started attacking which is what I'm confused about both times were on the bed .

First attack he stood up and jumped at my neck. The second attack as I don't know what in the world got in him as I was just finishing watching a movie from disney plus it was the new lady and tramp movie as our was sleeping right next to me on my bed as the movie was on my laptop but I was also a bit scared of him after his first attack but was allowing him to be near me because my son was like maybe he thought you were playing and saying I should give him a chance to have him be with me so that what I did.

So when the movie got over I started to get up from laying down on my stomach area and as soon as I moved mr. blackie woke up stood up and started full blown coming at my face . I was trying to get up and I could barely even get up or away from him . He just kept leaping and attacking me scratched my face dug into my lips and my whole mouth was bloody and the blood was dripping all the way to my chin .

Now I been avoiding him since that 2nd attack since I don't want to chance a third attack thinking since he attacked me once then attacked me again after first attack which was worse than first attack it's like I don't want to see how bad the third one could be as the second one was bad as in very bad and I just couldn't believe he could do that to me so badly and just wonder about it as I had been such a good loving cat mom to him .

Everyone knew how much I loved him and treated him so well . They all knew he my baby as I had called all my pets furbabies . Then to me it was like why why is he doing this when I have given him so much love now after that second attack it's like I can barely be around him as that's how much his second attack scared the daylights out of me. I can be with him when my son is around but other than that I'm keeping my distance from him .

No cat food on the counters as i put them straight in the cupboard when I have them home from the store, pour his food in his food dish that is on the ground . He does get thinking any boxes are his cat food stuff like chip boxes, goldfish cracker boxes and ritz cracker boxes he will start rubbing his body along those boxes if they are on the ground . We have just been getting big container of those since my mom been buying us in bulk stuff of chips and crackers since she is going to costco so we put them on our kitchen counter so they are not in the middle of the road .

I also have started a liking to eat crab dips and salmon dips with crackers.

We did have a pet loss of a guinea pig 6 months ago which happened in June. Our cat loved watching and that guinea pig always made our cat very hyper and we still have another guinea pig which i continue to snuggle with since he had lost his brother who was also his roommate so I didn't want to have suffering from any grieving issues . Also, I was a bit cautious and a bit protective that when I would be holding and snuggling with the piggy who lost his brother I would not allow our cat in because I was just wanted to make sure our piggy was safe each time I was snuggling with him which is a good thing because with our cat being this suddenly attacking like that he could have really killed our piggy that we have now .

Then after I was done spending time with our piggy then I would open the door and in would come our cat . Even in the past when our cat would be laying on the bed sleeping on my bed and when I got ready to get off the bed he would totally jump off to the bed to run to the door that is why it confuses me so much when he chose to attack me not once but twice instead of automatically jumping off the bed like he used too do .

So I don't get it and I don't use scented stuff as my mom can't handle scented stuff when she is near me or when I'm at her house .

So it's very confusing to me .