Looking For The Best Dry & Wet Food For My 4 Year Old Cat

yo0123yo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As the title states, I'm looking for the "best" dry and canned wet food to give to my cat. By best, I mean grain free, not many ingredients and no byproducts or corn and definitely grain free. So far I've had my cat on Orijen dry cat food for the 4 years of its life, which by looking at the label, Orijen doesn't seem bad, but definitely pricey. As far as wet food, I've been feeding it mainly Friskies brand Patē flavors because they are priced great but I know there's absolutely better options. I'm looking for a low carb diet specifically because for the life of my previous cat, who died at 12 years old we fed it just cheap dry and canned food that can be found in any supermarket because the budget wouldn't allow for expensive cat food such as orijen and he eventually died due to diabetic ketoacidosis. I've learned a lot since his passing but as far as diet, I know the "best" dry and wet canned food can be subjective but I'm interested in all your opinions and suggestions. Thanks again a lot.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Orijen is a great dry food, if you do choose to feed some dry.
As for wet.....lots of people love tiki cat (my two aren't fans) and Weruva Cats in the Kitchen for wet. My cats eat Instinct, Wellness, Merrick.....and others. They also eat fancy feast every few days or before bed as a snack - it's a little step up from Friskies and is actually quite a decent food (and affordable!).

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dr. Elsey's Cleanprotein is a very high quality dry. Catfooddb.com rates it slightly higher than Origen. The canned food of the same brand is also good. Young Again dry costs a small fortune but it has very low carbs. With canned, there's also Rawz, Instinct, Avoderm, Nulo. On the cheaper side of things, there's Nutro, Whole Earth Farms (not great, but they have a lot of different proteins), and Fancy Feast. I'm sure you're going to end up with a massive list of food choices when everyone contributes their favorites.

If you're comfortable with it, there's always frozen raw or freeze-dried raw. Freeze-dried raw can be fed dry or rehydrated.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed our IBD/lymphoma cat Instinct LID Rabbit dry food --- way too many peas for my taste, but the vet recommended rabbit. For Olive if she gets dry food it's Dr. Elsey's Cleanprotein Chicken as a snack.

For wet food, I feed Life's Abundance, Dr Elsey's, Rawz, Tiki Cat After Dark, Dave's Shredded Chicken Dinner, Hound and Gatos, Petcurrean Go! Fit and Free and occasionally some frozen or freeze-dried raw.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Raja and Mizu both like Tiki's Born Carnivore Chicken and Fish Luau for their mid day snack of dry. This is the breakdown on catfooddb. CatfoodDB's Unbiased List Of The Best Dry Cat Foods. Raja eats Primal Chicken and Salmon (also on the same list) and both cats enjoy Merrick beef pate, some Natural Balance, Halo and Sheba.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yo0123yo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all very very much for every single one of your inputs!! I appreciate it very much.