Looking for teething toys or suggestions for a chewing kitten

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Teething item recommendations?

Our 6 month old kitten is chewing like mad. Our now-adult cat confined herself to destroying our Crocs and all my phone cords at this age (I just had to learn to keep all phone and earphone cords out of reach), but this kitty chews whatever strikes his fancy, especially expensive and/or dangerous things: leather shoes, the straps on my good hiking backpack, ziploc and other plastic bags, children's toys, craft supplies...anything he can get his teeth on. Oddly enough, he has zero interest in our already-well-chewed-crocs. I don't want to use bitter spray, because I'd be spraying everything in the house, and I hate the smell/taste of it permeating everything.

Hoping to find something for him to teethe on that will be irresistible, so he'll stick to that.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Give him a cardboard box to see if he likes to chew on that. Some cats, mine included will spend hours chewing and shredding a box. Actually eating the cardboard is unusual but you would need to monitor him at first to make sure he is chewing and spitting out the pieces and not eating any of it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Petstages makes dental chew toys for cats:

You can also try a Kitty Kong:

These dental chew treats work pretty well, well better than those tiny Greenies:

It comes in a poultry flavor, too.

Sugar Plum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rafaela Puff chews a lot. I feel your frustration.

Petstages makes a worm (she loves it), a daisy (round yellow ring with felt leaf - loves tossing and chewing it - only when supervised as she loves the fabric leaf a little too much, but it helps her toss it with her back feet), a red round chew with tassels (cut them off; I found this one dangerous), and a mint stuffed fabric one (a favorite, but mainly to play not chew). All but the mint one are catnip infused.

Petsmart makes a fish bone shaped one. She loves it. It's catnip infused. It's got many different shaped things to gnaw and it's large. Can't miss it; it's orange.

Check the dog aisle. Her all time favourite is a natural rubber bone shaped chew for small breed puppies. It has three different, linked, textured, hollow bones, like a chain. It smells like vanilla (some natural rubber does). Not all in the store did. I chose one that did. I forget the manufacturer, but I got it at Ren's Pets.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Give him a cardboard box to see if he likes to chew on that. Some cats, mine included will spend hours chewing and shredding a box. Actually eating the cardboard is unusual but you would need to monitor him at first to make sure he is chewing and spitting out the pieces and not eating any of it.
This is really a good idea! Jemima was 8 weeks when we got her and she loooved cardboard shoe boxes (she was much smaller than a six month old).. also amazon has a fish shaped silicone (?) “toothbrush” that you put catnip in...