Looking for support/ adopted semi-feral cat

cayz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, if they planned the break-out, and were playing, that's 100% great!

Some setbacks are natural when a new cat is introduced. Two days is an amazing acclimatization time - the shortest I've ever done was 3 - 4 days, and some have been as long as 2.5 weeks.

Congrats on getting a matched set!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, if they planned the break-out, and were playing, that's 100% great!

Some setbacks are natural when a new cat is introduced. Two days is an amazing acclimatization time - the shortest I've ever done was 3 - 4 days, and some have been as long as 2.5 weeks.

Congrats on getting a matched set!
Thank you ! I really hope so . So far so good between the two .
Believe me I was a bit scared when I saw 2 set of eyes in my living room 😳 I was not expecting that , they were playing under the door and I think between the two of them somehow opened it . I was glued to the video and, haven’t slept in 2 nights 🥱☺

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is incredible news that they played together! That is huge that you have brought a new cat in the house and they took to each other instantly. As was stated, there is always something "different" when a new cat comes in, this will adjust over time. It is really preferable that the hiding as started again in a minor way as opposed to the two of them decided that they could not live together. I am really happy for you!

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is incredible news that they played together! That is huge that you have brought a new cat in the house and they took to each other instantly. As was stated, there is always something "different" when a new cat comes in, this will adjust over time. It is really preferable that the hiding as started again in a minor way as opposed to the two of them decided that they could not live together. I am really happy for you!
Thank you so much ! I will definitely keep you posted on both of their progress 😊

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on the girls .
I am learning more and more about their background. They were both trapped between May and July last year with 94 other cats 😳 from a farm like setting. I am seeing more and more of the other cats up for adoption recently after foster placements. I got Alina in June. I think she was just put up for adoption too soon with very very little socializing at 1 year of age .

So here we are…..9 months yesterday since I brought Alina home . She continues to make slow progress. In general, She seems a bit more at ease in the house . Alina is still running away, hiding all day and occasionally hissing at me , but she comes up on the couch on her terms and I am able to pet her every day ! I love that 💕
FC234F75-2A83-439A-AA88-166CB060C6F3.jpeg

Alina loves playing with her new sister Anya ! She is so fascinated by her , often cooing/calling and looking for her to play (at times a little too rough :/ ) Anya is less interested in her , but I think they really do get along most of the time.😊

Anya has joined our family a month ago Sunday . She is much more confident in the house. She Stays out all day in her tree, is very playful, curious and explores everything !!! Anya definitely shows less fear of everyday sounds and actions. She was in her foster for 8 months before coming here so I think that definitely helped . She is still quite scared of me unfortunately 😞. But …She has let me pet her recently when in her tree. She runs if I approach her other times. I heard her purr for the first time a few days ago, so I think she will come around and feel more at ease soon, I hope 🤞

So here we are…..2 formal Ferals making gains and learning to trust day by day !

MindyStClairesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This made me so happy! YAYS! The "social bridge" will really help. Mindy St. Claire's progress is sooooooo tiny that it is only possible to notice if you remember where we were a long time ago -- leave yourself reminders! We are still working on getting into a crate (open on 3 sides and the top, just treats, no attempts to close any of the sides and I can pick Zack Pizazz and Disco Janet, but not MSC (yet!) I am thinking only about safety and in the event I would need to move her quickly -- I could never, for example, give her a pill right now or even get a collar or harness on her. I have put harnesses on the pick-up-able 2 but they are not ready for the outside yet (we live in a TINY apartment and I sense ZP gets stir crazy), but MSC will probably never get in a harness. But keep us posted on the progress!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is great news! It is easy to see in the pic that they are comfortable on their own terms with you. Truly frightened cats would not have sat for even a quick picture. The "social bridge" cat can be so helpful, even if the bridge is not entirely friendly at all times. Both Anya and Alina are very lucky and they know it.

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is great news! It is easy to see in the pic that they are comfortable on their own terms with you. Truly frightened cats would not have sat for even a quick picture. The "social bridge" cat can be so helpful, even if the bridge is not entirely friendly at all times. Both Anya and Alina are very lucky and they know it.
Thank you 😀! I got them to come over for some treats !! Alina is especially intense about her treats 😆

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This made me so happy! YAYS! The "social bridge" will really help. Mindy St. Claire's progress is sooooooo tiny that it is only possible to notice if you remember where we were a long time ago -- leave yourself reminders! We are still working on getting into a crate (open on 3 sides and the top, just treats, no attempts to close any of the sides and I can pick Zack Pizazz and Disco Janet, but not MSC (yet!) I am thinking only about safety and in the event I would need to move her quickly -- I could never, for example, give her a pill right now or even get a collar or harness on her. I have put harnesses on the pick-up-able 2 but they are not ready for the outside yet (we live in a TINY apartment and I sense ZP gets stir crazy), but MSC will probably never get in a harness. But keep us posted on the progress!
Thank you so much for your feedback! I’ll definitely keep giving updates 😊

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
10 month and 2 month update !
Well, It was 10 months a few days ago since I got Alina . She is coming along 😀, I can pet her more and more (even recently in the middle of the living room) she is not running away as much when I enter a room and seems a bit more confident exploring .she rubbed against my leg when I was feeding her the other day and I was so happy. She is still quite hissy but I just ignore it for the most part . Alina does still hides/burrows under a blanket on my bed most of the day . I do feel bad about that, but I think that’s her routine.

Anya has been here 2 months . She is so different. They came from the same rescue location with 90+ cats , so some similar fear behavior, but she is more curious, gets into everything. She comes right up to me at times , but still runs away if I try to pet her . Similar to Alina I can pet her regularly when she is in one spot only (cat tree) I can get her to purr there too . Otherwise she will not let me approach or touch her. She is not food motivated at all, but likes to play so that has become a part of our routine. I have to admit I thought she’d come around faster since she was in a foster for 7 months and has socialized and was comfortable with people , but we are still building trust . I think in general she is less fearful of most noises and regular day to day activities . Definitely afraid of people coming over , but the both are . We are getting there .

By the way , they play together a lot . I think Alina is very happy I got Anya . They sleep together most nights too 😊

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you so much for the update! You have really worked wonders for both of them. Factoring in personality, Alina may be shy by nature, although that does not mean that you won't get further along in socializing her over time. Anya sounds as if she is still evaluating what is going on, but I suspect that she might become quite sociable. She was used to the foster and is still getting used to her new home.

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the update! You have really worked wonders for both of them. Factoring in personality, Alina may be shy by nature, although that does not mean that you won't get further along in socializing her over time. Anya sounds as if she is still evaluating what is going on, but I suspect that she might become quite sociable. She was used to the foster and is still getting used to her new home.
Thank you so much ! I find this so helpful to post how far they have come ! 😊 I’ll continue to update!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
10 month and 2 month update !
Well, It was 10 months a few days ago since I got Alina . She is coming along 😀, I can pet her more and more (even recently in the middle of the living room) she is not running away as much when I enter a room and seems a bit more confident exploring .she rubbed against my leg when I was feeding her the other day and I was so happy. She is still quite hissy but I just ignore it for the most part . Alina does still hides/burrows under a blanket on my bed most of the day . I do feel bad about that, but I think that’s her routine.

Anya has been here 2 months . She is so different. They came from the same rescue location with 90+ cats , so some similar fear behavior, but she is more curious, gets into everything. She comes right up to me at times , but still runs away if I try to pet her . Similar to Alina I can pet her regularly when she is in one spot only (cat tree) I can get her to purr there too . Otherwise she will not let me approach or touch her. She is not food motivated at all, but likes to play so that has become a part of our routine. I have to admit I thought she’d come around faster since she was in a foster for 7 months and has socialized and was comfortable with people , but we are still building trust . I think in general she is less fearful of most noises and regular day to day activities . Definitely afraid of people coming over , but the both are . We are getting there .

By the way , they play together a lot . I think Alina is very happy I got Anya . They sleep together most nights too 😊
That is great news, I love that they are sisters now 😻

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Delayed update on the girls . It’s been a little over 11 months for Alina . She is running away less (however sometimes still hisses 🤦🏽‍♀️) but she seems much more receptive to pets) ❤Her tail is actually raised when walking and I am so excited . she continues to burrow and hide all day long ( I have wondered if I should limit this ? Possibly take blankets off the bed ? But I’m not sure she seems to like this spot. I feel bad Anya is alone all day 😞) I have heard her meow a few more times with food , otherwise she is quite . We are getting there for sure . Slow and steady

Anya has been here now a little over 3 months . She is quirky.. very skittish, yet curious about things and definitely observes. I’m struggling to consistently touch/pet her. She continues to run or jump back most times. On a Good note, She kneaded for the first time last week. It was cute I was excited.
I have yet to hear a sound , I’m so curious what her little meow sounds like . To be honest I’ve had some sad moments , thinking we’d be farther along and that Alina would see and follow. They love each other and I’m happy , I just miss cat affection. It’s hard when at times they do not even seem to like me , leave the room , hide walk away if I am near etc. 😆😞😩 it sometimes makes me laugh and other days are a bit more challenging. Reminders of patience is key .
We will continue to build trust!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Delayed update on the girls . It’s been a little over 11 months for Alina . She is running away less (however sometimes still hisses 🤦🏽‍♀️) but she seems much more receptive to pets) ❤Her tail is actually raised when walking and I am so excited . she continues to burrow and hide all day long ( I have wondered if I should limit this ? Possibly take blankets off the bed ? But I’m not sure she seems to like this spot. I feel bad Anya is alone all day 😞) I have heard her meow a few more times with food , otherwise she is quite . We are getting there for sure . Slow and steady

Anya has been here now a little over 3 months . She is quirky.. very skittish, yet curious about things and definitely observes. I’m struggling to consistently touch/pet her. She continues to run or jump back most times. On a Good note, She kneaded for the first time last week. It was cute I was excited.
I have yet to hear a sound , I’m so curious what her little meow sounds like . To be honest I’ve had some sad moments , thinking we’d be farther along and that Alina would see and follow. They love each other and I’m happy , I just miss cat affection. It’s hard when at times they do not even seem to like me , leave the room , hide walk away if I am near etc. 😆😞😩 it sometimes makes me laugh and other days are a bit more challenging. Reminders of patience is key .
We will continue to build trust!
I know it can be tough these intros and you want the affection. That is great they are getting along though. Do you play with them/ Alina? I hope they become more affectionate over time. 😀

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for the update! If you are seeing raised tails and kneading, they are happy in your home and glad to have you around. I don't know if I would remove the blankets or not. There is no hard and fast answer, but it may force her to seek another spot, less convenient possibly, and might make her more insecure. They don't dislike you. Cats who dislike someone are never around. If that were the case, one or the other of them would be living under the bed. They have been more challenging so socialize, but in their little cat hearts are very happy to have a home.

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update! If you are seeing raised tails and kneading, they are happy in your home and glad to have you around. I don't know if I would remove the blankets or not. There is no hard and fast answer, but it may force her to seek another spot, less convenient possibly, and might make her more insecure. They don't dislike you. Cats who dislike someone are never around. If that were the case, one or the other of them would be living under the bed. They have been more challenging so socialize, but in their little cat hearts are very happy to have a home.
Thank you fionasmom. On tough days, when they are running and hiding and don’t let me close , it really helps to hear that . :redheartpump:

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know it can be tough these intros and you want the affection. That is great they are getting along though. Do you play with them/ Alina? I hope they become more affectionate over time. 😀
Thank you ☺ Alina sometimes plays with me . She used to play more, but she really just enjoys playing with Anya, stalks/chases her
😆
Anya does play with me and we play every night using a wand type toy . I still can’t reach to touch her when playing, I’m starting to sit closer when playing 👍🏼

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you ☺ Alina sometimes plays with me . She used to play more, but she really just enjoys playing with Anya, stalks/chases her
😆
Anya does play with me and we play every night using a wand type toy . I still can’t reach to touch her when playing, I’m starting to sit closer when playing 👍🏼
I am going through bringing an indoor guy inside who is very scared still and intro him to my cats etc. He is on gaba 1x per day and he is not scared of the cats except Quinn if Quinn hisses at him etc. But he runs as soon as I come in the room or move if he has come out from behind the bed near me and the cats under the bed- there us a tunnel like open area he feels safe under. I know it is going to take time for him to adjust and to trust me more. But I am happy he likes my guys etc.