Looking for support/ adopted semi-feral cat

MindyStClairesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
try to introduce her to my adult female cat. Neither are too happy about this. Any suggestions how to socialize these 2 cats?
I had grand plans to use a flexible mesh baby gate (that you basically hang on command hooks) in the doorway -- and there is actually a flexible mesh tension baby-gate thing that you can find for $30 - $40, but I didn't want to spend that much :) Someone here mentioned a piece of lattice from Home Depot. And then you start by draping it with a sheet so they can't really make eye contact at first. The goal is to have them both eating on either side (treats or their supper) and then you can raise the sheet a bit. I have had good luck with the multi-cat pheromone diffuser -- the one they seem to respond better to is the Comfort Zone one (get them cheap on eBay). Having said all that, our intros haven't gone to plan -- instead of one other, we ended up with a feral foster -- so 3 total -- and LOTS of difference in the degrees to which they are friendly & outgoing. The boy we just got last week OBLIVIOUSLY marches in, has a crap in her box, plays with her toys, and tries to get her out of the closet to play. She was doing well but was rather overwhelmed and just -- this evening -- peed on her arm chair (it's really hers -- I got it for her in a garage sale, so, whatever). I keep seeing MASSIVE improvements -- but it is necessary to remember how massive these are OVER a LONG time because it doesn't seem so fabulous day-to-day. Remember that hissing isn't aggression, it's communication, and it will take at LEAST twice as long as you think it should! I know what you mean about not wanting to return a feral you started socializing. There was a LONG time when I was doubtful that Mindy St. Claire would make enough progress to house cat. But then she wasn't wild, either. But even tiny progress is progress! ((hugs))

MindyStClairesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
but when she is done she leaves the room 🤷🏻‍♀️ 😊
Mine will abruptly depart (if she can) or even turn her face to the WALL if she cannot leave when she is emotionally taxed. It's SO interesting. That's good, though. She's taking care of herself. And mine makes tiny progress. I hope yours does, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine will abruptly depart (if she can) or even turn her face to the WALL if she cannot leave when she is emotionally taxed. It's SO interesting. That's good, though. She's taking care of herself. And mine makes tiny progress. I hope yours does, too.
Alina update !! We are coming up to 5 months since our first day together . She is continuing to make small gains , but overall is still very scared, runs away and hides most of the day. One good note is that , She is allowing me to pet her more and more (with my hand) with sudden episodes of running off . I can play with her nightly too with toys after 5 months I have to admit I struggle with the fact that she does not initiate any interaction with me , walk toward me and I don’t see her tail up at all. she does not seem to be trusting me yet and honestly seems to want to be where I’m not 😞 I wish she wasn’t still so scared . I feel like I’m doing everything I should. maybe she is not into much contact . I keep praying that she would show some affection/trust. It’s sometimes a real bummer and I get down . I miss cat contact 😩 I guess I just need to accept her and continue to give her more time .
If any of you have further guidance or suggestions, I’d love to hear them ❤

MindyStClairesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alina update !! We are coming up to 5 months since our first day together . She is continuing to make small gains ❤
Keep in mind that small progress is STILL progress! Mindy St. Claire can sometimes get spooked if my energy is too intense. I'll send you a link to my blog in a private message -- Petting with hands is HUGE! I *really* understand the bit that feels like a bummer. The thing that accelerated her progress was the introduction of another foster cat who is very gregarious and well-socialized. He has taught her to trust me -- and she gets a bit jealous when he gets pets!

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind that small progress is STILL progress! Mindy St. Claire can sometimes get spooked if my energy is too intense. I'll send you a link to my blog in a private message -- Petting with hands is HUGE! I *really* understand the bit that feels like a bummer. The thing that accelerated her progress was the introduction of another foster cat who is very gregarious and well-socialized. He has taught her to trust me -- and she gets a bit jealous when he gets pets!
This is so helpful! Thank you 😊

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Jackson Galaxy has talked about that. A calm or friendly cat will become the conduit for the shy, withdrawn cat and sort of "run interference" for them as they try to engage the world. I am not saying that you need more cats, but I have seen this with my own cats and even outdoor ferals.

MindyStClairesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jackson Galaxy has talked about that. A calm or friendly cat will become the conduit for the shy, withdrawn cat and sort of "run interference" for them
YAYS. The "social bridge." Remember to mute the intro if you are binge-watching 11 seasons of Jackson Galaxy with a cat you are socializing as all the hissing & yowling might be freaking them out. Ask me how I know this ;)

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
😩😩😩 Hi everyone could really use advice!! Alina continues to make slow progress if I’m seated. She is still hiding / running if I walk towards her etc. So, I’m freaking out , because she threw up clear bile and I saw a worm ! I have not noticed anything before and no symptoms until tonight. I don’t know what to do. I still can’t handle her and I’m scared. 😩

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
https://rehome.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...3-How-to-get-an-unwilling-cat-in-to-a-carrier
How To Get A Skittish Cat In A Carrier? Techniques That Work!
Help For Pet Owners: How to safely get scared cat in carrier

You might start with the third article as it probably sums up what is in the other two. Can you purrito her at all or start to feed her in a carrier? If she has not been trapped, or does not remember being trapped, a humane trap might work.
I’m so nervous that this could ruin what little trust she has in me for the past 5 months 😞 I’ve tried so hard to help her feel safe . I hope this doesn’t take it away .

Alina usually hides under my quilt on my bed during the day , so I’m trying to figure out how to take the blanket off, putt the towel around her and get her into the carrier.
I read the articles, I have two carriers . Onis soft , top open , but bigger and the other is smaller, harder material and I could possibly put it on its side to put her in butt first ?? 🤔😳

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Standard information is that top open carriers are easier to use. Putting a cat in butt first can allow the cat to struggle upward toward you and escape. A top carrier will also let the vet possibly examine Alina by lifting her out rather than dragging her out. Many times a front opening carrier has to be dismantled in order to get a cat out as it allows them to assume the gunfighter position. Does Alina to appear to be in bad shape with the bile or is she normal otherwise?

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Standard information is that top open carriers are easier to use. Putting a cat in butt first can allow the cat to struggle upward toward you and escape. A top carrier will also let the vet possibly examine Alina by lifting her out rather than dragging her out. Many times a front opening carrier has to be dismantled in order to get a cat out as it allows them to assume the gunfighter position. Does Alina to appear to be in bad shape with the bile or is she normal otherwise?
She seems ok, I have not noticed anything really before she threw up that worm 🤮 but I have noticed that she has been eating less the past few days . My mom came to visit Friday to Saturday so I thought her lack of eating was related to that, but she is still not interested in eating , so I’m a little concerned.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I think that this sounds like you should try for an appointment despite how hard this is. Don't worry about her reaction once it is over. She has to get used to this for her own good.

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi ! Sorry I did not post an update . Luckily the vet agreed to initially take a stool sample and i brought the worm . Confirmed significant case of round words . Medication administration was a fail 🤦🏽‍♀️ I tried to burrito her , but She ran and hid . she did end up eating most of it in a treat . She seems a bit better. Second dose Tuesday, hope it goes smoother 🤞

MindyStClairesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OH, yes! I can identify with worming medication fails. I actually think we have been struggling with Giardia, but for a looooong list of reasons, getting an actual stool sample reviewed wasn't going to happen & Giardia doesn't reliably turn up in a sample anyway. Many of the Giardia meds are really wormers, so we have treated with Panacur (granules for dogs (I know, but it was vet-recommended) treats for Rounds, Hooks, Whips, and Tapes), Metronadazole (antibiotic for intestinal infections), Panacur (nasty, bitter, chalky liquid), Revolution (treats for heartworms, Rounds, and Hooks), Droncit (for Tapes), and, finally, Profender. Hallelujah for Profender, y'all. It goes on like spot-on flea treatment and does all the things that Panacur and Droncit do minus Whips (Hooks, Rounds, and Tapes). I have to think it also addresses the Giardia in *some* way (as there is no approved Giardia remedy, per se). It is by rx only. We have also been using PetUltimates Probiotic for Cats. Hard to tell if that is working or if it was all the Profender. But I am a believer in the Profender because no nasty medication experience.

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Round 2 with the deworming meds, was much more successful. She actually just ate it mixed with a liquid treat 👍🏼

Today is 6 months since I brought Alina home. She has made many gains and I just love her. I feel so bad because Alina still runs , hides, hisses and only comes when I am in certain places sitting down . She’s very startled when I walk around or am in other rooms of the house. I know every situation is different, but is this a “typical” time frame of warming up for a formal feral kitty ? Any feedback is appreciated. I just want her to continue to feel safe and build trust ❤

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What you have accomplished in 6 months doesn't seem like much to you, but is HUGE! I have had cats take well over a year to adjust. She may always be a 'fraidy' cat, but there will come a time when she will trust you enough to be calmer and even sit on your lap. i, too, use Profender on all my skittish cats, you have to be quick and make sure you put it up HIGH on the neck, way up, if she can twist and lick it she will foam at the mouth and go crazy, I learned this the hard way. They will be OK, it is just hard to watch. I call my vet and ask for a prescription, then order it on PetMeds, it is MUCH cheaper, about half. it only has to be applied one time and covers all worms. Never stare at her, that is threatening but just walk around normal, don't try to be extra quiet, that looks like stalking. I always announce myself before I go into the garage where my outside cats are, they aren't quite as scared. she just needs time, years, not months, but she WILL come around.....

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is great news about the worming medication! I completely agree that former ferals progress at their own rate. What she sees, which is that she loves and trusts you and is expressing it the best she knows how to at this time, is different from what we humans would like to see which is a complete transformation.

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What you have accomplished in 6 months doesn't seem like much to you, but is HUGE! I have had cats take well over a year to adjust. She may always be a 'fraidy' cat, but there will come a time when she will trust you enough to be calmer and even sit on your lap. i, too, use Profender on all my skittish cats, you have to be quick and make sure you put it up HIGH on the neck, way up, if she can twist and lick it she will foam at the mouth and go crazy, I learned this the hard way. They will be OK, it is just hard to watch. I call my vet and ask for a prescription, then order it on PetMeds, it is MUCH cheaper, about half. it only has to be applied one time and covers all worms. Never stare at her, that is threatening but just walk around normal, don't try to be extra quiet, that looks like stalking. I always announce myself before I go into the garage where my outside cats are, they aren't quite as scared. she just needs time, years, not months, but she WILL come around.....
Thank you so much ! Hmmmm, 🤔 I think I do tend to be quieter and tip toe a bit . I need to be more natural. This is a new experience for me and it really helps to hear from others for the reassurance and guidance. Thank you 😊