Looking for some advice re my cat and new kitten

miccoops

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new to this site and after some advice please. I've had cats all my life but only ever one at a time. We have a 5 years old rescue cat called Leo and we 4 weeks ago we got a new Kitten (Pepper). We took it slow with scent swapping, limited play sessions etc. To begin with Leo was acting very aggressively with lots of hissing, growling and swiping. This has now stopped completely and he is now trying to play with Pepper. Typically what will happen is Leo will come into the lounge where Pepper usually is, he'll be making a trilling, happy noise (like a meow/purr, he does it a lot when playing and for food) and he'll kind of prance around looking playful, or roll about on the floor, no hissing/growling/flat ears/raised hair so definitely not aggressive signs. Pepper will watch on and then when she moves he'll chase her.. this usually ends with her pinned down and Leo looking like he is biting/nipping but isn't causing any marks, Pepper starts a bit of hissing/growling/squealing and I separate..
I'm convinced Leo isn't being aggressive and at times he'll give her a read rub, and he looks happy and playful, but I don't think Pepper is enjoying it.. she will follow him about and hides under sofa's and then sneaks out to him.. so kind of egging him on a bit I guess. But its all quite rough and always goes too far and I have to break it up..
Any thoughts/advice on how this sounds??

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Just keep an eye on things in case the kitten looks like she's really at risk, but your descriptions of each of them sounds quite good, both his behavior and that she's approaching him :)

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS! :hithere: New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You! – TheCatSite Articles. Also, feel free to post an introductory post for you and your cats on New Cats on the Block. And please feel free to post lots of pictures of your kitties, we'd love to see them!
These articles might help: How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Introducing Cats To Cats – TheCatSite Articles
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight – TheCatSite Articles
This one in particular might help: Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing? – TheCatSite Articles

Agreeing with Furballsmom Furballsmom , I would just keep an eye on them but not be too stressed about it. Good luck, and feel free to post any other questions you might have!