Looking For Sisal Fabric

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To PushPurrCatPaws
Thank you. I'm looking for fabric vs rope.
Yes, my bad! I realized that later. :paperbag:

(still... maybe convo'ing those etsy sellers to ask if they have any referrals for a sisal fabric source might be a good idea :) )

Last edited:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really, I haven't seen that used. Let us know how it goes.
Couches are upholstered in Duck Canvas Fabric. Seems to hold up far better than anything else. Seems to be far preferred by the cats over anything sisal. (then again, that may just be "furniture" is preferred over things they are "supposed" to scratch..LOL)
But, the couches are holding up well. The chairs are some sort of jute/burlap looking stuff and they like scratching those just as much. But, the chairs are shredded.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws - I am fortunate that my cats don't seem to mind scratching standard carpet covered trees. They don't scratch at them as much as they do the cardboard scratchers and my little girl Kitty scratches the trees the most.

I know you can get the sisal rope at Home Depot in Canada and likely the US. I get what appears to be scrap pieces of carpet turned into area rugs at Home Depot. I think you can order sisal carpet from Home Depot but it cost a lot more than the area rugs.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A artesian79
To "flag" a person in any post, type the
'@' symbol followed by the username.
The system matches your typing after the
'@' symbol and will show you user names that match the name you are typing.
For example: typing "@ push" gave me
PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws and then you touch the name you want. I don't typically use a space between @ and the name.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artesian79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have found a carpet store that will give me the small bound carpet samples they give you to take home to check for color. I will use some of those on the carpet side and some on the backing side and take back what I bought at HD if I can find the receipt as I find I'm allergic to something on that rug. Just bringing it home, or even moving it around in the garage brings on hives even when I use gloves.

Only one of the manufacturers has responded thus far and he is willing to give me some remnants as long as I'll pay shipping!!! I'm not sure on the timing or how much it will cost, but it won't have backing and should work well.

Next question, has anyone taken a cat tree apar?. It's becoming more clear that I'll need to do that. I know the flat shelves attach to legs by "L" brackets, but I haven't found anything showing me how to attach a tube to the leg.

StrangeBeard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Thank you for your reply.

I found the same person in AU! Yesterday I chatted with one US based site that imported fabric from Belgium but the minimum purchase was too big. I don't know why this is so difficult. The manufacturers using sisal frabric certainly don't weave it.

I found Harbor Freight to have the best pricing on sisal rope around here - Cincinnati, OH. I even got lucky and found it on sale, but their normal price was still better than anything else I found online or B&M. It was 1/2" x 100' for 4.99. I didn't buy nearly enough. I think the reg price is 6.99.

I find the following Scratching Post excellent. I've gotten it in the $3x.00 range in the past. Notice the sisal fabric!

SmartCat The Ultimate Scratching Post

I see that Chewy has a house brand at

Frisco 33.5-in Scratching Post/Tower, Cream

I haven't used it. Ours are 33.5 tall and the base is 15.5. We have a large cat who uses it. All but our "at an angle" cardboard scratcher uses them. As for the rescue , it needs to be providing height for vertical space as well.

I'm starting to think I can buy a new 5' tree for less than what this is costing.

I did find a yucky quality carpet reminant at Home Depot. I'm going to see if the cats will scratch the back side of it. Buying binding tape added cost.

If anyone else is in the Cincinnati area and looking for sisal frabric, would you like to share a shippment with me? I think the size was 37' x 3 yards for about $120.

If anyone else can help pls speak up!
Hi there. Can you PM me the name of the supplier you found for the 37 x 3 piece? Thanks!!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Next question, has anyone taken a cat tree apar?. It's becoming more clear that I'll need to do that. I know the flat shelves attach to legs by "L" brackets, but I haven't found anything showing me how to attach a tube to the leg.
I don't think there's any standard way of building a cat tree. I've had ones that simply screwed together with bolts, and I have one that was hand built and is glued/nailed together so there's no way I could ever take it apart.

TendaF

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Probably too pricey:

Seagrass might work:

Janiedoe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found a great place for sisal cloth, and it’s really cheap too, 2.49 for an approximately 56”x36” piece.
28 x 36 Used Sisal Coffee Bags [UBCB-SISAL-28x36] - $2.49 : BurlapFabric.com, Burlap for Wedding and Special Events
Granted probably going to have to wash the coffee smell out of it but I’m ordering some for the cat tree I’m building so I can let you know how it worked out.
TendaF TendaF thank you for your post.
I bought a 10 pack of the sisal coffee bags. I found them from the same seller on Amazon Prime. SUCCESS! They were in surprisingly great shape & the cats like the fabric.
I'll make a thread for my diy cat climbing/ scratching post. Here is a picture of the finished post.
20220703_211714.jpg

lao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
.... Yesterday I chatted with one US based site that imported fabric from Belgium but the minimum purchase was too big....

If anyone else is in the Cincinnati area and looking for sisal frabric, would you like to share a shippment with me? I think the size was 37' x 3 yards for about $120.
Hello, I realize this post was a couple years ago but I hoped Artesian79 might still remember what company quoted that price. I've got three different rooms for catification projects and the size maybe more than I need, I could always cover a few extra posts or frame a few extra wall scratcher for the adoption center ai volunteer with to sell for a little extra cash.

I'm in California so sharing an order is probably not cost effective.

I started researching possibly sewing my own sisal rug from rope... I saw it done on youtube with cotton rope. Anyone ever try it with sisal? Advice on plausibility, needle size choice or thread type for durability would be appreciated!
thanks