Looking For New Litter And Beware Of Dr. Elsey's Ultra.

Subspace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey,

I've been using Dr. Elsey's litter product for a while now and was satisfied with it until recently. It's definitely not 99% dust-free anymore, more like 50% dust-free because it kicks up huge clouds of dust. I heard that they had a formula change? Not sure how recent it is but this product used to come in blue bags and didn't have the "Ultra" on the packaging. Now it's in white bags with what seems to be inferior litter. The amount of dust it kicks can't be safe for my cats or myself. The smells of dust lingers for a long time too.

Very disappointing. I'm looking for a new litter product that is dust-free, unscented, and around the same price-range. Can anyone recommend a good litter product?

Thanks!

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am not sure how much you were paying for it because looking online showed prices of $10 to $16.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a Tractor Supply Store, they have an unscented store brand litter called Paws & Claws, both clumping and non clumping. I don't think any of them are dust free, I wish they would work on making them all less dusty. Other brands that have unscented are Fresh Step Unscented Extreme, Arm & Hammer Super Scoop Fragrance Free, Target Boots & Barkley Fragrance Free, Petco So Phresh Advanced Odor Control Fragrance Free, and PetSmart Grreat Choice Long Lasting Fragrance Free.

Last edited:

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dust free and inexpensive, what a dream. Pellets can manage but they are a hassle. Silicas are good but they are dusty and feel like shards of glass when they get tossed out of the box by the kitties. Grain based are expensive and get moldy.
Blu Buffalo has a great litter made of walnut shells. Not dusty, doesn't track much and it isn't scented. The more the cats use it, it starts to smell like coffee. Weird but true. It is expensive but it is worth it, I only stopped using it because one of my cats had an allergic reaction. At the time there were 30 cats in the house and the BB vendor I talked to had never heard of a reaction like that before so my cat was just a weirdo.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Paws n Claws for one of my cats, but the odor control isn't good, but it is SUPER cheap, and good enough for the litter box in the basement because I can't smell it down there.

My other cat I am using Ever Clean which is awesome, but a little bit expensive $17 for 14 or 15 lbs I think at Petco.and then I was going to try FreshStep Ultra unscented.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Low to no dust - alas pricey - Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal. I switched over to this last Autumn when my Tommy was diagnosed w/ asthma; the vet suggested I try it. What a difference vs Tidy Cat!

But pricey.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fresh step is by far the dustiest litter I have ever used so I don't recommend it. I am using the Paws & Claws others mentioned right now but like PP said...the odor control has not been great. I tried Dr.Elsey's in the white bag just a couple months ago and it was the least dusty of any litter I've tried...just expensive! I think I am going back to the arm&hammer I used in the past. Not dust free but the best I can find for the price. Unfortunately, I don't think a perfect litter exists.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Subspace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your recommendations. Sorry, I didn't mean to say 100% dust-free as that is not a realistic expectation but I just want it to be less dusty compared to Dr. Elsey's Ultra.

Dr. Elsey used to be good but they definitely changed something :( It went from being a top-tier litter to something you would find for really cheap at Walmart.

I'll do some more research along with all the recommendations :) Thanks!

Faire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've found that Scoop Away isn't super dusty either. I drag the litter box over to the toilet and sit down to pour the litter into the box though so that may have something to do with it too. It's easier for me to handle a heavy box or bag of litter that way.

sooser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Seconding arm and hammer. I've been experimenting with litter recently and honestly their's is the only one that's really held up to my standards. Clumps great, doesn't coagulate in a gross mess at the bottom within a day or two, very low dust/residue, next to no scent in the litter and FANTASTIC odor control! It was the only thing I could use before I got my boys fixed. Personally, I'm definitely going back to it now that I'll have a ride and won't need to carry it home on foot.
It's WELL worth the price which isn't that bad, the kind I got was maybe $20.

Last edited:

hp811hyg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I only have few months of experience with a cat so I don't know much of it but I used " Dr.Elsey's precious cat ultra cat litter ". So far so good, just like it says on the label, no dust kicking in the air, odor control and unscented. Price is cheap too so you don't have to pulled your hair everytime you click that buy button. ^^

Tiggerbugsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used to use WB but didn't like it for few reasons so I tried all kinds of natural litters trying to find a healthy one that cats liked and I approved of. We love, love, love Smart Cat. I get it thru Amazon. Pricey but worth it and seems to last way longer and yes I scoop constantly....every time someone uses it. When it gets peed on it clumps well and Smells lightLy of the cereal grasses it's made of...pleasant. Comes out of litter box in clumped form intact...not part of it stuck to litter box. Dustless as litter can be and I'm very sensitive to dust...never feel I'm breathing it in or seeing dust when I refill. Texture similar to WB but more lightweight.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
We really like this, maybe not 99% dust free but really good, clumps well and only smells right after poopys until she covers it. We scoop 2 or 3 times a day with 1 cat. $8 or $9 at Walmart. Use maybe 1 & a quarter jugs a month.
20170527_145921.jpg

catlitterguru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww that is disappointing. I have not used the Precious Cat since they changed the packaging. I guess some formulation had changed as part of the revamp.

I recommend trying the Arm & Hammer line. Either the Clump & Seal or the Slide version has pretty low dust level. The Slide has no scent that I was able to pick up while Clump & Seal has a bit more scent. The price is in a similar range as the Precious Cat as well.

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i love SoPhresh Multi Cat Ultra Clumping Grass Seed litter. I'd never tried grass seed before but this stuff is awesome. Very little dust, smells really nice (just a light soft grass seed smell that you only notice when tending the box) and best of all, it clumps really good, nice solidclumps, and NO ODOR! I use a covered box with a flap the cat pushes open to enter, so obviously i dont want it to smell in there-it doesnt at all. Highly recommend this stuff.