Looking For Ideas To Ask Shelter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did a search but couldn't find anything for the little bitty ones.

I have never dealt with diarrhea on this scale before. Not in any fosters nor in my horses I bred. I have got to get this under control.
It''s not diarrhea as in it leaks out and is uncontrolled, it's more like cow pies when they go. I read on here about pumpkin, but don't know the dosage for a 4 wk old kitten. All 3 are this way.
I called the shelter and all they could tell me was it's a tsp for a 5lb dog.

I know a lot of you know the dosage. Could you help me on this please? And yes, I'm making sure they are getting plenty of electrolytes.

Edit: I just read somewhere that bone meal helps with diarrhea. But, I'm concerned about adding it since I use KMR. Any suggestions on this one?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They need Panacur for cow-patty poops. That's from parasites.

Are your kittens eating solids yet?

If so, just mix a teaspoon of plain, canned pumpkin into the wet food they all share.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They just finished a 5 day panacur treatment on Wed. for Giardia. The last antibiotic dose was Friday.
Only two are eating solids and not totally. They sometimes refuse and want the bottle. They will only be one month on Thursday. But, two are a pound and the other is more.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just mix a quarter teaspoon into the food for the ones who are eating. The others will have to wait.

Sometimes it takes another whole round of Panacur, but give it a few days first.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I had put an eighth of a teaspoon in the formula earlier, I will up it and put some in the food. They go back to the shelter on Thurs. to get the first round of shots, I will ask about more panacur then. Honestly, they don't seem to be too concerned about the kittens and they have never let them see the shelter/clinic vet. Prior to the panacur and amoxicillan, they were on Albon. No wonder their tummies are messed up.

I think I'll check the feed stores and get some kitty probios for them.

Edit: I have bene-bac plus equine, that I've used on my dog many times, and found out that this is exactly the same formula for kittens. Just found out the dosage is 1/2cc's for a kitten 6-12 weeks, mine will be a little less.
I'm starting this immediately.

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a solid poop!! They refused anything to do with the pumpkin, so it has solely been the probios.
It was small and only one, but this means I'm starting to get a handle on this.
I've never been this excited over poop before.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update:
Well, the poops are runny mustard again. Had to take them to the shelter to get their first set of shots. They suggested that since they are now 4wks, healthy and at a good weight (little one is 1.1lbs, the other two are 1.4lbs) to cut them off the goats milk entirely. It may be too rich. They are starting to eat quite a bit of the solids, so this will help. I just want the runny poop to stop.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another update:
All 3 have completely solid poops. No more diarrhea!! Between the probios and taking away the goats milk, my kittens are now on a beautiful road to recovery. This one has been a long road and thank you again Sarthur2 Sarthur2 for helping me out on this one.
BTW, the eyes of the long haired one (in my picture) are starting to turn green. Is this an orange DLH thing, or does she have a breed mixed in that I'm not aware of?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great to hear that the diarrhea is gone! :)

The eyes of most kittens turn green before they are 12 weeks old, except for certain breeds such as Siamese. Every orange cat I know has green eyes.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I've only had 1 orange cat and her eyes were a yellow-ish color, so I wasn't sure.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Now that you mention it, my own orange cat's eyes look yellow-ish at times. I'll have to ponder this and observe my orange cat's eyes this weekend! ;)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a pic I took a bit ago of the two I'm keeping. Getting a picture of the tortie (aka Turbo Terror) was impossible.
IMG_0018.JPG

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are adorable! I love their little faces. :)

Do you have other cats?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not anymore. Our Mau died last year and the vets never did find out why. I've been a year without cats and it was the longest year of my life.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It must feel wonderful now to have the kittens in the house! So nice they will have one another too!