Looking for high calorie syringe food.

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello

a basic history.

my cat should be 6.25kg I have 4 other cats, but one is gaining weight which I don’t want.

I have Bubbles age 13 (5.3kg), Taffy age 12 (6kg) Bollo age 12 (nearing 6.75kg) all from same parents. Buttons age 10, 5.75kg and Nala age 6 (about 4.25kg)

Bubbles was 6.5kg

why has bubbles lost weight? He simply didn’t eat cat food except 1 type, dry purina pro plan junior., then, he started to lose weight. So, we took him to the vets and they did many tests, found nothing but he was getting stressed and started to pull his fur out. Found out about 18months later that purina changed the formula to the cat food, that bubbles didn’t like. So he refused to eat. All he eat was left over meat from our dinners.

we switched over to purina one, where he nibbles at the food, but not much. I have decided to make him food from home, he has several good meals out of each batch. It has vetiq nutri-vit plus so he gets what he needs. However bollo has realised bubbles gets something different and eats it too, making him fat.

bubbles weight loss has stopped, he is very skinny as he is a big built cat. His fur has grown back. The vet has given us many foods but bubbles isn’t interested.

so, I am after something that I can put in a syringe, where I can get a liquid extremely high calorie supplement.

does anyone have any suggestions?
Oh, bubbles only has 10% of his tail.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. There are high calorie pastes that you could try, maybe even without having to syringe him. He could lick them off your fingers. The other thing you might want to consider is feeding his 'extra' food to him in another room that bollo is no where near - kind of his own extra meal, not at the same times as regular meals.

The first food offered in this article (see link below) is a syringe food. If he would take it OK from a syringe, I guess that would be an option. However, if he resists you, I think you should try other approaches.

As always, with older cats, make sure the vet is on board with whatever you choose to try. So many of these high calorie foods/supplements don't always have very nutritious stuff in them.
The 25 Best Cat Weight Gain Supplements of 2020 - Cat Life Today

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello, I already feed bubbles different time and areas where bollo and the others eat, I feed the cats outside except bubble who I feed in the kitchen. Bollo seems to find the scraps left by bubbles but as the food is higher in calories he has gained the extra weight. Most of bollo s weight comes from eating more of the dry food as he is eating bubbles share.

edit: he has had paste type calorie boosters but he won’t touch them, which is why I want it in a syringe

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There was a prescription liquid nutritional product called CliniCare made by Zoetis but it seems to have been discontinued.

Maybe try Catsure or something similar if you are able to get it in your country? CatSure™ Powder Meal Replacement for Adult Cats | PetAg (en-US)

Hills A/D is another option. You can make it soupy so you can syringe feed it.

Has the vet checked the teeth? Dental issues can cause a cat to not eat much. Low B12 levels can also cause weight loss. There is a specific blood test for B12 levels that the vet has to request when submitting blood work.

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, this sounds horrible and I feel so guilty, I have my sofa against the wall, under My window which bubbles came in as I went to grab my drink of the window side, anyway as I went to get the drink bubbles jumping in and I ended up basically punching him, he lost his lower tooth.
the vet has checked his teeth and all seem fine, he is such a fussy eater he won’t eat food off the floor in a bowl we have to raise the food up, or hand feed him chicken,

the weight loss is him being fussy eater not anything wrong with his health we have checked everything the vet at the PDSA can think of.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So, are you saying that besides him being a picky eater to begin with that you think him losing that tooth might be contributing to his eating problem? Did the vet check his mouth since he lost that tooth? If not, I think it might be a good idea to have that entire area of his mouth looked at. A hit hard enough to knock a tooth out - with a cat that has no dental issues - is a hit that should be looked at by the vet.

If you are making food at home and adding a high calorie/vitamin supplement to it for Bubbles - is that what Bollo is 'stealing' from him that is causing weight gain in Bollo? Is there any reason not to feed all your cats home cooked food, and just add a different vitamin supplement for the other cats that doesn't include the high calorie supplement that Bubbles gets? Sorry, if I am misunderstanding what you are feeding Bubbles that Bollo wants so badly.

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the vet cleaned and checked bubbles teeth, there isn’t really a problem With his teeth... the vet did have a strong words with me which didn’t go down too well... I am autistic and worship cats of all types. They thought I hit him on purpos.

taffy will only eat purina one or purina gourmet cat food. The other 3 will eat even the cheap horrible stuff. However if bollo knows that taffy is eating something different they fight or bollo will just push him out of the way. feeding bubbles anywhere else bollo can still smell it’s different and will make him self over stressed and will force his way into where bubbles is eating. He only eats a small amount but it’s higher calorie food.

we Have tried so many foods with bubbles who just refuses to eat it... people have said, he will eat it if he is hungry enoug, nope he still won’t eat it.