Looking for heavy kick toys

SaxyWhistle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two year old male tuxie Alphonso was given an old toy by my landlady because her cat didn't like it. It was one of those stuffed fish toys that flop around. My cat didn't care for the flopping mechanism, but he loves picking it up and flinging it in the air. This is the first time I've seen him play this way, and the only thing I can think of is that it's because it's heavy with the flopping mechanism. He doesn't toss his other stuffed toys like this. Anyway, he's since ripped a huge hole in the fish, so I'd like to find something similar to replace it with, but there's kind of no point paying for something with an electronic mechanism since he's not into that. Any suggestions for heavy toys he can throw around? Or how to safely adapt an existing stuffed toy so that it's heavier?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can make a kicker, its cheap and easy to do. You only need a piece of material, cotton wool and catnip. Google 'how to make a cat kicker'

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SaxyWhistle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Leaving aside the fact that I'm not great with handicrafts, what are some safe filler options for making them heavy? I wouldn't want to use beans or small things that could be easily swallowed - knowing my boy, he'll rip a hole in whatever I make within days.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could make one out of a couple sweat socks, one inside the other, and put some tennis balls inside? He shouldn't be able to get into too much trouble with that.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
An old sock stuffed with fabric scraps or polyfill, maybe a bit of catnip pellets, might work. When the sock needs to be washed, empty out the catnip pellets (much easier than if you use loose catnip) and toss the sock into the wash. Put fresh catnip pellets into the clean sock along with the stuffing material.