looking for dog food for a dog with few teeth

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
14 year old Pomeranian that had many teeth removed by a vet. Remaining teeth are likely on the way out at some point.

I am having an extremely hard time time finding dog food with no /limited teeth.
Doing research on the internet, I find recommendations for dog food but the recommendations just dont seem right? if right is the best word.
The dog food advice for dogs with no teeth seem to be too bulky or hard nuggets. If a dog or person has no teeth, they cant bite apart food

I would think like baby formula type of a dog food would be ideal. Surprise i can not find something close.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure canned food will be fine. Or soaking the kibble if he/she doesn't like canned food.

When I had ferrets I used to grind up kibble and add water to make a soupy mixture for old or sick ferrets. But they were very imprinted on their kibble and wouldn't eat anything else, so I don't think this would be necessary for most dogs.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure canned food will be fine. Or soaking the kibble if he/she doesn't like canned food.

When I had ferrets I used to grind up kibble and add water to make a soupy mixture for old or sick ferrets. But they were very imprinted on their kibble and wouldn't eat anything else, so I don't think this would be necessary for most dogs.
I was going to suggest canned food also. There are so many good canned dog foods out there in so many varieties that you should be able to find something. If they love their kibble you can also use salt free broth to soften it. The flavor might make it more palatable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Reading all replies; advice,tips.
Actually i have been cutting up food into very very small bites--almost to a liquid.
I just find it hard to believe there is no ideal food for dogs with no/almost no teeth on the market already. Also, baby food would sound great for a dog with no or missing teeth, but baby food may have an ingredient good for people but not dogs.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just find it hard to believe there is no ideal food for dogs with no/almost no teeth on the market
What's wrong with canned food? That seems pretty ideal to me. If it's too firm you can mash it with a fork and mix it with warm water to make it soupy. And some brands are mushier than others.

Gerber and Beechnut meat baby foods are fine for pets too, but they aren't complete diets, just a treat (plus you'd go broke! A dollar a jar!).

cuttinbluefarms

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Check out the best dog foods for dogs with few teeth and pick one that you think your hound will thoroughly enjoy!
  1. Pedigree — Chopped Ground Dinner Combo With Chicken, Beef & Liver Canned Dog Food.
  2. Blue Buffalo — Blue Bits Savory Salmon Recipe Soft-Moist Training Dog Treats.
  3. Hill’s Science Diet — Adult 7+ Savory Stew with Beef & Vegetables Canned Dog Food.
  4. Purina Beneful — Prepared Meals Chicken Stew with Rice, Carrots, Peas & Barley Wet Dog Food.
  5. Primal — Lamb Formula Nuggets Grain-Free Raw Freeze-Dried Dog Food

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you have not found a suitable food or one that your dog will tolerate with limited teeth you may want to check this website which gives unbiased and thorough reviews as well as proper nutrition:
DogFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

Please let us know how your Pomeranian is doing. 🐾
Good to hear you recommend DogFoodDS website. i am a frequent reader of the site for about a year--glad to read your recommendation of the stie.
Will update my dog,Pom, a tad later. Thanks for asking. Recently had my 19 yo cat put over the bridge, my 9 year old cat developed a mystery illnesss,and my dog with his teeth issue. Really trying times. Spent much of my stimuls checks for my pets

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would say a canned pate type dog food my aunt had a Pomeranian that lived over 20 years but she raised it on a diet of human food(rice porridge,eggs,ground beef) cooked daily by her to feed it so i dunno about how healthy it was other than living over 20 years and was toothless also. it was an active lil guy running around going for walks to the day it passed .

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good to know. I am on a track but slow track to move to people food for my dog and cat. Goes with out saying, there is an education to learn what people food is good and not harmful. Had a cat that loved brocolli but at the time, i did not know if it was harmless or not.etc.
Today's pet food is likely 1000 times better than say 40-50 years ago. But stiil has additives that may not be so great. Then the non stop pet recalls.