Looking For Chicken-free Wet Food Options

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My younger cat is super sensitive to chicken. Even if it's a secondary ingredient, the litter box becomes a stinky watery poop mush war zone. No chicken is the solution our vet had and it works. Currently, I feed him Whole Hearted and Tiki. I'm looking for options that have no chicken and are gentler on the wallet.

I like Tiki in particular because the food chunks make Hemingway slow down when he eats. At the moment he basically unhinges his jaw like a snake and inhales. He has no problem with pate but he slurps that even faster, especially with added water.

Whole Hearted is ok, but there's a lot of carbs, which don't help Hemingway because he's getting tubby. Also it's kind of annoying I can only get it at Petco. I would love to just get everything at Chewy in one go.

I addition I have salmon Wellness kibble in a puzzle feeder out at all times.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have a kahoots near you? I have poultry sensitive kitties too and finding a food without chicken is a real challenge. Kahoots has a store brand line without chicken that is $1.29 for a 5.5 oz can, this is one of the options Café de Cat Ahi Tuna

Nulo and Nature's Variety also have chicken free foods. My crew like the rabbit from Nature's Variety https://www.chewy.com/instinct-by-natures-variety-original/dp/34870 or the Nulo minced beef (there are two chicken free versions, this is just one of them) https://www.chewy.com/nulo-freestyle-shredded-beef-rainbow/dp/168505

I've found there are some things I have to accept to avoid poultry. Namely some foods will have vegetables they don't really need and gums/carangee that I'd rather avoid. They also eat fish heavy since it's the most common non-poultry option. I try to mix it up to keep them from sticking to one food and to pick a different non-ideal item each time.

There are more expensive canned options that don't have the negatives https://www.chewy.com/ziwi-peak-lamb-recipe-canned-cat-food/dp/141896 but my guys won't eat cold food and won't eat more than 1oz at a time. So it's just not practical for me to open a 6.6 oz can that they will only eat 3oz of. I am trying again to convince me guys that refrigerated food is good but trying the 5 oz $1.29 can instead of the 6 oz $3.99 can.

d2dsf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I second the Instinct Rabbit wet food. My cats also like the Venison variety of the same brand.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Krista can't do chicken but she thrives on turkey. Rawz is a good brand that is also single protein--no chicken. Grain-free and gum free too! Recently I'm trying Tiki Cat Raw Turkey with Bone Broth with her and this seems to be a hit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have to do some number crunching, but it's good to know that I can expand beyond fish with rabbit and venison.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Primal pronto or nuggets raw cat food as well as Stella and chewys raw (frozen or dehydrated) are great! I lost my two cats recently at 16 due to kidney failure. They were 9 mths apart and passed away in age order. I truly believe it was due to dry cat food. So my two kittens get the food I mentioned. It comes in pork as well as rabbit and beef/salmon etc. they have beautiful coats and are bright eyed and active. The young kitten (by 3 mths) came from our humane Society as a 1 week old frail kitten. He was underweight when I adopted him 3 weeks ago and I’m sure they’d be surprised at his changes! Sorry this is so long but I’m a big believer in the raw food diet for cats...

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Sylvie can't tolerate chicken either and seems to have a limited tolerance for turkey — the only turkey she gets occasionally is a few little schnibs of a homemade turkey burger. Some of the canned foods she enjoys and that I like for her are: Rawz rabbit and duck; Redbarn lamb; Wellness Complete Health Beef & Salmon; and Primal pork nuggets. I order the Redbarn, Wellness, and Primal from Chewy and the Rawz from Cherrybrook.

Rawz is not particularly gentle on the wallet, but it's the best canned food, IMO. The Redbarn lamb is much more affordable and is high-quality too. I have more reservations about the Wellness (both because of the fish component and because the ingredients include just about every kind of gum you can name), but like Kieka, I accept some tradeoffs for the lack of poultry.

Last edited: