Looking For Cheaper Alternative To Royal Canin Urinary Iso Cat Food

13'sowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I've have recently become disciabled wich has affected ny income and the size of my grocery budget, My cat has had urinary crystals and she was prescribed Royal Canin's Urinary ISO dry cat food. In an effort to cut my grocery budget I am looking for cheaper alternative, that will not adversly affect my cat's health, and would appreciate any suggestions.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try these suggestions:

Alternatives to Royal Canin SO
Alternatives to expensive Urinary SO food

Dry food is cheap but is the main reason why so many cats have urinary problems in the first place. Prescription dry foods may be helpful for awhile but the cheap poor quality ingredients can cause other health problems. If you can, feed more canned food and less dry. Any commercial canned food will work, even something like Fancy Feast. Getting plenty of water into the cat can prevent a lot of urinary issues. Diluted urine is less prone to crystals and other stuff than very concentrated urine.

There's info here on diet and urinary issues: Cat Urinary Tract Diseases: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

13'sowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the responces, we have her on a mix of moist cat food and dry kibble cat food {both urinary so), as she has some dental issues as well, and the vet recommended that she should eat some dry kibble daily to help clean her teath, as she will not let snyone brush her teeth

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dry food does not clean teeth. It's a myth many people, including "regular "vets, believe :headshake: Veterinary dentists will tell you that home dental care is important and that dry food doesn't help.

Does Dry Food Actually Clean Your Cat's Teeth?

Teeth brushing is best. Give it a try with a yummy flavored pet toothpaste. You might be surprised. CET poultry flavored toothpaste is very popular with cats. Offer a little bit on your finger or pet toothbrush as a treat and slowly work your cat up to quickly swabbing a little bit of toothpaste onto the canines since those are fairly easy to get to and then to the rest of the teeth.

Other alternatives to tooth brushing: What Tcs Members Use: Cat Dental Health Care

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm feeding the wet RC and have tried adding the purina uti food and he starts having issues again. Right now I am feeding 50% fancy feast pate and 50% royal canin urinary so. 2 meals of each