Looking For Cat Litter Recommendations Please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your input. I went to Walmart today and picked up some litter maid walnut litter. I’m going to try that one first based on your good feedback. I was going back and forth between that one and the corncob one from littermaid. If the walnut doesn’t work out I might try dr elseys respiratory relief.
duckpond duckpond @Furballsmom is the littermaid walnut litter only available at Walmart? I don’t see it on chewy or petco or PetSmart or even amazon. Is it a Walmart exclusive?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your input. I went to Walmart today and picked up some litter maid walnut litter. I’m going to try that one first based on your good feedback. I was going back and forth between that one and the corncob one from littermaid. If the walnut doesn’t work out I might try dr elseys respiratory relief.
duckpond duckpond @Furballsmom is the littermaid walnut litter only available at Walmart? I don’t see it on chewy or petco or PetSmart or even amazon. Is it a Walmart exclusive?
Im thinking it is Walmart exclusive. I cannot find it anywhere except Walmart.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do like the grass litters, and i like the littermaid walnut litter.

I am a big fan of Dr. Elseys Respiratory relief silica gel litter. It may be the easiest litter ever. no dust, and no smell. It is a very fine grain litter. Much finer than fresh step crystals or the mimi crystals. My cats are not fond of those two, i think they hurt their feet. The Dr. Elseys Respiratory relief silica crystals do not, its more like sand. And not bad at all with tracking.
Is the dr elseys still clay though? When I look on chewy at the respiratory relief litter it says it’s clay? I’m so confused :(

Firecracker1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use Dr Elsey's Ultra, however lately it seems to have more dust when I change the cat litter. There are no dusty footprints with this. Might try the respiratory from other's recommendations. One of the babies has athsma, so always looking for dust free liter.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Dr Elsey's Ultra, however lately it seems to have more dust when I change the cat litter. There are no dusty footprints with this. Might try the respiratory from other's recommendations. One of the babies has athsma, so always looking for dust free liter.
THANK you for your reply. The dusty white paw prints are more annoying than the dust to be honest. Good to know dr elseys ultra is good about that

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I prefer litter box.
Yes it is a cat litter.
Clay, no dust.
Get a Robot Litter box while you are at it.
They are awesome!

Hi everyone.
I’ve finally gotten to the point where I’m getting sick of having white paw prints all over my dark wood floors and my furniture. Im looking for a low dust, low tracking cat litter that also has good odor control. The no dust part is extremely important as that’s the reason behind me trying to switch litters. I was looking at the dr.esleys ultra cat litter. Does anyone have experience with that one? Any others that you can recommend?
I’m currently using the fresh step non clumping clay litter and I like it other than the dreadful white residue all over the place.
Thank you fellow cat lovers!:heartshape:

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope the Walnut litter is the one for you. That mixed with Smart Cat litter has been really great for me and my cat. It does track, in my opinion but less so than Dr. Elsey’s

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dr Elseys has a clay respiratory relief, and a silica gel respiratory relief. I am not a fan of the clay one, i am a big fan of the silica gel.

Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Respiratory Relief Silica Gel Cat Litter, 7.5-lb bag
Ok. Got ya!! Thank you for clarifying that
I hope the Walnut litter is the one for you. That mixed with Smart Cat litter has been really great for me and my cat. It does track, in my opinion but less so than Dr. Elsey’s
i mixed some of the walnut little with their current litter and my boy didn’t really care. My girl went in and sniffed it for a while but I think she will be ok with it as well. They both are using the “mixed litter “ litter box just fine. Fingers crossed!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I second DuckPond's recs for Dr. Elsey silica respiratory relief. I currently use the Dr. E RR clay version because it is cheaper, but honestly, the odor control is not very effective. The RR silica is the best of all worlds if you can afford it - no dust, no odor.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I second DuckPond's recs for Dr. Elsey silica respiratory relief. I currently use the Dr. E RR clay version because it is cheaper, but honestly, the odor control is not very effective. The RR silica is the best of all worlds if you can afford it - no dust, no odor.
It is quite pricey! I’m currently trying out the highly recommended littermaid walnut litter. So far I noticed zero dust when I poured it in. Which is promising! I’m hoping it will be the one! The only downside is that it’s only available at Walmart. I guess I’ll try to make a monthly trip there if the litter works out. :clap2:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is quite pricey! I’m currently trying out the highly recommended littermaid walnut litter. So far I noticed zero dust when I poured it in. Which is promising! I’m hoping it will be the one! The only downside is that it’s only available at Walmart. I guess I’ll try to make a monthly trip there if the litter works out. :clap2:
depends on how many cats you have. I have 4 cats and keep 4 or 5 boxes of litters around the house. One box is the silica litter. its a large box, and i put 1/2 the bag in the box at a time. cats use it 3 or so times a day, sometimes less, sometimes more. i change it out every two weeks, could go longer, but dont, i change all my boxes every 2 weeks.. so for 1 or 2 cats i think 1 box would last 1 month. my guess anyway.

i also use the littermaid walnut, and like it as well. And abound grass litter from kroger.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know how you get by with so little litter with 4 cats! I have 3 and also use Dr. E 20 lb boxes. I have 3 giant litter pans and do a full change only once a month. I go through several boxes a month.

Then again, my cats weight between 14 and 18 pounds! I guess the poop more. :poop:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how you get by with so little litter with 4 cats! I have 3 and also use Dr. E 20 lb boxes. I have 3 giant litter pans and do a full change only once a month. I go through several boxes a month.

Then again, my cats weight between 14 and 18 pounds! I guess the poop more. :poop:
the grass and walnut litter last fairly well, as does the silica litter. I guess i am funny with the way i work my boxes. I fill each box full, with the grass litter and the walnut litter that is two bags of either one, in each box. 1/2 bag of the silica gel in the box. I never top up, the boxes get a bit low in my 2 week time frame, then i dump, and start fresh with new boxes :) so each month i feel like i use a lot of litter...lol 1 box of elseys crystal litter, and 12 bags of grass and walnut litter. plus what ever i use in the 1 downstairs box, which right now is hartz clumping paper litter, but its not getting much use, so im only changing it out every 4 to 6 weeks.. :chessirecat: I think the silica litter is the longest lasting?

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I prefer litter box.
Yes it is a cat litter.
Clay, no dust.
Get a Robot Litter box while you are at it.
They are awesome!
I think my cats would disown me if I tried to change both their litter and their litter box :argue:

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
depends on how many cats you have. I have 4 cats and keep 4 or 5 boxes of litters around the house. One box is the silica litter. its a large box, and i put 1/2 the bag in the box at a time. cats use it 3 or so times a day, sometimes less, sometimes more. i change it out every two weeks, could go longer, but dont, i change all my boxes every 2 weeks.. so for 1 or 2 cats i think 1 box would last 1 month. my guess anyway.

i also use the littermaid walnut, and like it as well. And abound grass litter from kroger.
I have just 2 cats. I just have 1 jumbo litter box. I change their litter box every 7 to 10 days and scoop once or twice daily. I’m now even more confused as to what litter I should use. :argh:
I want a good litter that doesn’t leave white paw prints everywhere but I don’t want to spend a whole bunch of money for poop :stars:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i dont find paw prints on my dark furniture with any of the 3 i use. walmart littermaid walnut litter, abound grass litter from kroger. Or the dr. elseys silica gel letter. When i used clay litter the white prints drove me nuts on my dark furniture! none of these 3 are terribly expensive. try them and see which you like best, and which last the longest for you? :rolleyes2: i may be weird, i love trying new litter...lol

KLDexter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know I'm a little late to this but we use the Dr. Elsey's Ultra and we have dark laminate floors and I've never had an issue with dust or foot prints. The only dust I've come across is when we empty the litter box completely there is dust on it but besides that I've never had it on the floor or walls.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i dont find paw prints on my dark furniture with any of the 3 i use. walmart littermaid walnut litter, abound grass litter from kroger. Or the dr. elseys silica gel letter. When i used clay litter the white prints drove me nuts on my dark furniture! none of these 3 are terribly expensive. try them and see which you like best, and which last the longest for you? :rolleyes2: i may be weird, i love trying new litter...lol
I’m gradually switching my current litter to the litter maid walnut. I’m just afraid my girl, Buttercup won’t go for it bc she is so particular. It’s sooo different from the current litter.. my boy, Milo doesn’t care so far. I mixed just a little bit in.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know I'm a little late to this but we use the Dr. Elsey's Ultra and we have dark laminate floors and I've never had an issue with dust or foot prints. The only dust I've come across is when we empty the litter box completely there is dust on it but besides that I've never had it on the floor or walls.
That was my initial choice bc I think it’s so similar to the fresh step in texture but being that it’s still clay I was afraid the same thing would happen with it. I also read some reviews thAt it clumps almost too hard. That it makes cement like mud if the kitty pees on the side of the litter box. So I’m giving the walnut litter that duckpond duckpond likes bc it’s so completely different