Looking For A Wet Food Recommendation (Canada)

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Montgomery is a nine and a half year old tabby cat. He has EPI, IBD and SID. He has great difficulty digesting fat. He requires higher than normal fibre. He eats Royal Canin Spayed/Neutered Kitten dry food, and he was eating Royal Canin Ultra Light and Spayed/Neutered wet food. I weaned him off the wet food because it was unavailable. He now eats Science Diet Light and Science Diet Perfect Weight wet food. They are now unavailable.
He does need some wet food in his diet. Its a delicate balance between wet food and dry food to try to keep his digestive system happy.
I'm looking for a wet food that contains no turkey (he's very sensitive to it). No meat or poultry by-products, because they may contain turkey as well. He needs a high fibre, low fat diet. No Blue Buffalo. Can anyone help?

GustifursMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We love Fancy Feast h'ors d'oeuvre - real meat only in a broth (same meat base broth as the protein). And when it hasn't run out at every store lol we also like Tiki cat broths.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feel for you with the cat food availability issues, particularly with Royal Canin, as I also can no longer get my Ruby's vet prescription food. She has chicken issues, but can eat turkey and duck, which I stick with, so I don't know much about other proteins.

Have you tried Global Pet Foods ? I haven't myself, but have seen some good reviews online about them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel for you with the cat food availability issues, particularly with Royal Canin, as I also can no longer get my Ruby's vet prescription food. She has chicken issues, but can eat turkey and duck, which I stick with, so I don't know much about other proteins.

Have you tried Global Pet Foods ? I haven't myself, but have seen some good reviews online about them.
I managed to find two cases of the Science Diet on Amazon. Yes, I even tried Global although I've never had a good experience with them. They didn't have anything either. After spending the afternoon chasing cat food, I got my veterinarian to order a case of Purina OM, so we'll see what happens.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd be careful with the specialty ones - not all are necessarily better than supermkt ones and may be problematic - do a bit of research. I've had cats forever (lots of decades) and main meals are Fancy feast & Whiskas, but also use treats (little bits plse) like dessert - few at a time - Bursts (they're new and I'm using instead of Temptations which really aren't good for your cat), a little Churu, etc. depending on what's available there. Also use a couple of finger pinches (little. like pinky nail size) of people chicken, cooked beef, ham, bacon, fish, also few at a time..

Last edited:

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He can't have Fancy Feast or Whiskas because "poultry by-products" may include turkey, which would make him violently ill. Also, it means the recipe can vary, and that's a no-no for his digestion. Unfortunately, he has to be kept on a very strict diet. If he eats something that disagrees with his system, he'll spend the entire day suffering from uncontrollable diarrhea. Temptations are a no. He gets some nutritional yeast sprinkled on his wet food if he won't eat. Churus aren't balanced, and his wet portion does make up enough of his diet that it needs to be. He can't have table scraps. He is fed six times each day with pancreatic enzymes at each meal, tylan three times a day, Ovol twice each day, and Tomlyn, a small dose, at each morning meal. He eats on the counter so that he can't touch anyone else's food. Its hard-won to get him as far as he's come, and I don't like changing foods on him once he's settled because it can take up to two months to transition him.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG, I had no idea! So sorry - you must be going nuts... I would think the vet should be helping - with stuff on paper to give you that lays out the allowables and v. versa. I don't know if you should even be trying to figure it all out alone... sounds awful!
Good luck, keep us posted.

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The veterinarian did try to help a few years ago. She even consulted a nutritionist. The recommended food made him very, very ill, no matter how gradually we tried introducing it. Now she largely stays out of it unless I ask her. Today I asked her how reliably she was able to get Purina products, and she gave me a favourable response. She says she's recommending Purina more and more because they're the most reliable right now. After spending much of my day off running after Science Diet and reading cat food ingredient lists and guaranteed analyses, the OM looked the best, so we're going to give it a shot. She ordered one case for me to start out and hopefully it'll be in this week sometime.
I don't have anything against Whiskas, Fancy Feast and the like. The rest of the cats in the house eat a wide variety of wet and dry foods and are quite healthy. Its just in Montgomery's case, as much as he would like to eat different things, he just can't.
I'll let you know what happens.

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope the new food works out for Montgomery :crossfingers:
Love the picture of him. He's a total cutie pie. :redheartpump:

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Montgomery is so handsome. Hope things get sorted diet wise.
☘

ClumsyBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A bit late to comment, but have you looked into Catit? I buy the chicken dinners for my kitten, and he really enjoys them. I haven't seen any by-products or general categories like "poultry" in the ingredients. It'll usually just say "chicken." I'm not very familiar with what's considered high fat/high fibre. However, when I compared them to other brands I give my cat, it does seem to have less fat for sure. They also have "fish dinners" that seem to have even less fat than the chicken ones. I believe they're also a Canadian brand.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rawz makes some simple recipes that are the gold standard for kitties with allergies or IBD. Their single protein pates match the proteins right down to any natural flavors or broths. I would recommend the rabbit and rabbit with pumpkin recipes. Get both in his rotation because the pumpkin one is usually available when the other one is not. But sometimes it is the other way around.

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's actually doing really well with the OM. What's coming out the other end is actually improving. I just need to find a container to keep it in. He's with me all the time and so is his food, and no matter what, the gravy in the OM leaks. So my mission to-morrow is to find a jar with a screw-top lid. He wasn't too sure about the new thing in his saucer initially, but now he usually eats that first.
I really appreciate all the suggestions and help. If I could feed him anything at all I'd love to feed him Orijen dry and Weruva wet, but its impossible. If he could eat whatever he wanted he'd eat Cat Chow and Friskies, because you can take the cat out of the barn but you can't take the barn out of the cat. He was allowed to eat that once, when he was so sick we thought we would lose him and we were just told to feed him whatever he'd take. It was a bugger getting him off of it. Good thing he's not the only stubborn one in the family.